Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

CNN Link

(CNN) -- President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday, a stunning decision that comes just eight months into his presidency.
    Less than nine months into his presidency, Barack Obama has been awarded the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize.

The Norwegian Nobel Committee said it honored Obama for his "extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples."

The decision appeared to catch most observers by surprise.

The president had not been mentioned as among front-runners for the prize, and the roomful of reporters gasped when Thorbjorn Jagland, chairman of the Nobel committee, uttered Obama's name.

Nominations for the prize had to be postmarked by February 1 -- only 12 days after Obama took office. The committee sent out its solicitation for nominations last September -- two months before Obama was elected president.

The president, who was awakened to be told he had won, said he was humbled to be selected, according to an administration official.

Obama will make a statement Friday morning from the Rose Garden, administration officials said.
    Only the first part of the article posted above, use the link for the rest.

I know he did some stuff while campaigning, but I find this nomination to be premature. I see the comparison to Gorbachev in 1990 as mentioned in the article but I thought that was premature also.

What do you guys think?
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Obama awarded 2009 Nobel Peace Prize

I was concerned about the rationale for giving it to Gore. This solidifies my doubts in the award process. Obama's smartest move would be to decline.

Comment

He will be on air at like 10am this morning to talk about it, I think that is west coast time though.

I do agree it is a bit premature but also I do think he should be awarded it for all the potential good stuff he is surely going to do.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Every few years, the reputation of the Nobel Peace Prize declines still further in my eyes. Wow. What a joke. I guess his qualifications for being nominated consisted of "being elected"?

Jagland said the decision was "unanimous" and came with ease.
        And these guys couldn't even muster one vote for anyone who had actually, you know, done something?

@Extinct: He's already started his speech. I heard it on the radio on my way to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
          @Extinct: He's already started his speech. I heard it on the radio on my way to work.
          oops well i guess im going to have to you tube it if its up.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Every few years, the reputation of the Nobel Peace Prize declines still further in my eyes. Wow. What a joke. I guess his qualifications for being nominated consisted of "being elected"?

And these guys couldn't even muster one vote for anyone who had actually, you know, done something?
            Again, while I disagree with the timing and would prefer some results, he has given pushed for peaceful resolutions between countries and that has been the basis of many people who have been awarded the prize in the past. It isn't just based on results and "being elected" was not the reason given buy the voting members.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT5Kl38fSVY[/media]

as I have said on several occasions.... the media will eventually turn on him too....

it will get worse.
              Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
              The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I think he got it because he is compared to good ole' G.W. (and really he is being compared to G.W.'s staff).

Not that I think that is good criteria.

But one thing I have notice when listening to some non-American news shows is that the world did seem to breath a sigh of relief after G.W. was gone. They where really worried while he was in power. I don't understand exactly why but the impression I get is that much of the world outside the U.S.A and G.B. really and truly feared what Bush and kin where up to.
                Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 10-09-2009, 01:18 PM.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

That SNL skit was very good and I laughed. I don't find the guy playing the part to be very good at the Obama impersonation (his New York blind governor impression is much better).

I think the pressure to do something the first X days/first year is silly for a president though. Most of the issues on the lists take time to get everyone else on board.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Every few years, the reputation of the Nobel Peace Prize declines still further in my eyes. Wow. What a joke. I guess his qualifications for being nominated consisted of "being elected"?.
                    I totally agree. He has done nothing worthy of such a prize. Many of his policies are the same as the Bush administration. And if you look at the List of Nobel Peace Prize laureates, with notable people such as Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, and Nelson Mandela among others. You can easily see that Barrack Obama has done nothing even remotely close to some of those achievments. The End.
                    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

It's just five Norwegian politicians who decide. They're no more qualified than five TGers. I don't get why people place so much importance on the Nobel Prizes. *shrug*

Comment

I like Obama and voted for him, but I think being awarded the NPP might be a bit premature. Even though a recipient isn't required to fulfill his/her goals (e.g. Yasser Arafat, Aung San Suu Kyi), I feel that more accomplishments are required in order to fully deserve this prize -- especially as an incumbent US president.

Having said that, the Nobel Prizes awarded for scientific accomplishments were well-deserved.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                          I totally agree. He has done nothing worthy of such a prize. Many of his policies are the same as the Bush administration. And if you look at the List of Nobel Peace Prize laureates, with notable people such as Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, and Nelson Mandela among others. You can easily see that Barrack Obama has done nothing even remotely close to some of those achievments. The End.
                          Carl von Ossietzky - Spoke out but did not stop the Nazi party from coing to power and Germany still initiated WWII.

Albert Lutuli - won the prize for his efforts to end apartheid even though he was not successful. Mandela received it 33 years later and was successful.

Martin Luther King Jr did not complete his civil rights goals when he was awarded the medal. Mother Teresa had some issues with her implementation although her overall goal was noble.

The award is politically based, and is based on effort in a few cases, not achievement.

Edit: Damn, tau_neutrino beat me to it.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Gandhi surely put in lots of effort and achieved something, and was yet not awarded the prize.

Comment

Sam Aparicio found the gene identified in mutations that cause disease to spread in breast cancer tumors, essentially laying the ground work for the path to personalized therapies for other cancers. Obviously less evasive therapies.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X