US Census

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Census

This event that occurs every 10 years always causes lots of controversy. The Constitution authorizes a simple head count to decide how many House Representatives each State gets. But it's been loaded with all kinds of politically-charged counting that wasn't authorized in the founding document. Things like how many toilets you have, and what race you are (to be selected from a very narrow list that in the past didn't respect our melting pot nature).

http://www.census.gov/

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_cens.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Census

From Article 1, Section 2:

(Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding Indians not taxed, three fifths of all other Persons.) [The previous sentence in parentheses was modified by the 14th Amendment, section 2.] The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct.
    Section 2 of the 14th amendment:

2. Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed. But when the right to vote at any election for the choice of electors for President and Vice-President of the United States, Representatives in Congress, the Executive and Judicial officers of a State, or the members of the Legislature thereof, is denied to any of the male inhabitants of such State, being twenty-one years of age, and citizens of the United States, or in any way abridged, except for participation in rebellion, or other crime, the basis of representation therein shall be reduced in the proportion which the number of such male citizens shall bear to the whole number of male citizens twenty-one years of age in such State.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: US Census

And?

You don't have to answer those questions as far as I know. I got it on the last go around and, being in college and all radical, only answered the "number of people in household" question. They called me and then came by the house and I refused to answer any of the other questions. They then gave up.

Now I would answer all the questions.

There is too much ignorance in the world as it is. Why not answer some simple questions so as to add to at least the knowledge if not the wisdom?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

If you don't like the question, skip it.

Oh wow, a complex problem solved - and the government still accomplishes it's goal!
      Skud

Comment

I wasn't aware that it was legal to skip it. I was under the impression that last time around all answers were required.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

They don't care for the census in Kentucky apparently. Police: Census worker died of asphyxiation
          MANCHESTER, Ky - When Bill Sparkman told retired trooper Gilbert Acciardo that he was going door-to-door collecting census data in rural Kentucky, the former cop drew on years of experience for a warning: "Be careful."

The 51-year-old Sparkman was found this month hanged from a tree near a cemetery with the word "fed" scrawled on his chest, a law enforcement official said Wednesday, and the FBI is investigating whether he was a victim of anti-government sentiment.
          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

When do they start?
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

http://www.census.gov/survey_partici...ld_survey.html

http://www.census.gov/survey_partici...is_survey.html

Here's the 2010 form:

http://2010.census.gov/2010census/pd..._Info_Copy.pdf

I'd be willing to answer question 1 (how many live here) and date of birth (since only adults may vote) and would consider entering the names of each (to help avoid double-counting), but I have no interest in reporting gender, race, or whether they sometimes live elsewhere. We stopped limiting the vote to white males (with a credit for their slaves) a long time ago.

Comment

Census over budget by 25%:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ting-gets-way/

"Costs are escalating, mainly driven by wage costs and the escalation through inflation," 2000 Census Director Louis Kincannon said.
                With current unemployment, how can they be having "wage cost" issues?

How many other Federal programs forgot to factor in inflation in their budgets? (Maybe that big expensive program that just passed Congress?)

Comment

I find it funny that Foxnews, who's talk host Glenn Beck encouraged people not to participate in the census and thereby encouraging an increase in the number of people required to be hired to go door to door to complete the census, is your source on the increased cost of the census.

The wage costs are census employee specific, not wages in general, so the unemployment rate is irrelevant.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

The Fox link is just what someone sent me. It's not like I went looking for it.

How hard can being a census worker be? I figure it's about like being a tax preparer. And the form is a lot simpler than a 1040. So wait until after April 15 and hire all the people that H&R Block lets go at bargain basement wages.

Comment

It isn't hard, it is time consuming.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

And apparently dangerous in rural Kentucky.
                        Do or do not, there is no try....
                        -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

The census worker committed suicide.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/11/24/ken...ath/index.html

He was also in contact with the ground, "almost on his knees," she said.

"To survive, all Mr. Sparkman had to do was stand up."

Lividity on the body -- marks made as blood stops pumping and settles in areas of the body -- showed that Sparkman died in the same position, Rudzinski said.
                          Other stuff, too.

Comment

We could outsource the job to Indian and Chinese workers. They could keep calling the non-compliant until the form showed up.

Comment

I answered questions 1 and 2 and mailed it back. I don't plan on giving any more information if any census takers show up.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X