No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gapminder

I was looking at a video at Ted that shows off a really interesting statistics visualization package called Gapminder:

The presenter shows things like income versus child mortality versus country over time, with animation used to reveal some interesting trends.

And at the end, he swallows a sword. Really.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Gapminder

That guy is quite funny while getting his point across very perfectly.

And the sword swallowing is good as well.

The 1 thing I did not like about the video was the advertisement at the end, here hes talking about poverty and a stupid rolex commercial comes on at the end.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Re: Gapminder

Good demonstration.

I remember when I watch that the first time I did some further reading. One big correlation with infant mortality (and he might have mentioned this) is when women take control of their uterus. Economic increase often happens at the same time but not always. In places like India and China there are great strides in the finances. But even in the poorer parts of the country the infant mortality goes down. Seems that the poor gain some of the "liberation" that educated women get. Not as much but some. Usually because the liberated woman realizes that controlling her body is so very important to the well being of everybody so she tries to teach the less fortunate ones as well.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed