Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• “Lindsey Graham: I Won’t Let Ron Paul Hijack the GOP”

Ron Paul vs. Lindsey Graham on the Future of the GOP

Susan Davis reports on the Republican Party.

Texas Republican Rep. Ron Paul took to the cable networks today to jab back at South Carolina Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, who over the weekend said he would not sit back and watch the Texan “hijack” the GOP with his brand of Republicanism.

“My first reaction would be, ‘What does he have against the Constitution?’ And the supporters I have support me because I’m a traditional conservative and I support the Constitution,” Paul told CNN in an interview tonight.

He cited Graham’s support of TARP funds and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and “all the big government things” as examples of why his supporters feel lukewarm about the GOP. “These are the things that constitutional conservatives don’t support,” he said.

The spat was sparked during a contentious Oct. 12 town hall meeting in Greenville, S.C., when Graham engaged in verbal combat with constituents who questioned his GOP credentials and urged him to be a little more like Paul. (Click here to watch the video.)

“I’m going to grow this party. I’m not going to let it be hijacked by Ron Paul,” Graham said to jeers. One heckler called out: “You’re the one that hijacked it!”

Another constituent questioned the senator’s adherence to constitutional principles, and aligned herself with the Constitution Party “because I’m a constitutionalist, senator, and you are not.” In his reply, Graham said that “Ron Paul’s run for president like 39 times. He keeps losing.”

Graham argued that if the GOP only caters to one wing of the party they will become a permanent minority. “If you want 30 pure Republicans who think exactly like you, [Senate Majority Leader] Harry Reid would say ‘Send them on’… he’ll run right over us. And this country that we know, you’re going to turn over to the most liberal people in the world because you can’t believe someone disagrees with you.”

Their war of words is emblematic of larger battles brewing within the Republican Party over how best to heal the electoral wounds suffered in 2006 and 2008, rebrand itself, and build a new generation of party leaders.

Paul adheres to a strict political philosophy on economic and foreign policy that’s helped him carve out a role as party outsider. It also allowed him to build a small but fierce political following during the presidential campaign that tapped in to voter anger on issues ranging from the war in Iraq to the Wall Street meltdown.

Graham, a deal-maker who has worked to build consensus on key issues, is a political ally and personal friend of Paul’s 2008 presidential primary opponent, Arizona Sen. John McCain. He said he wants to rebuild a “big tent” GOP.

Asked if he felt he represents the current GOP more than Graham, Paul said, “Probably not.”

But he added, “I’ll tell you what, I’ll bet you the vote would come out a lot closer right now if you compared the supporters of Lindsey Graham and Ron Paul than it was two or three years ago.”
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBdc9LGH1Qk[/media]
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gm2pH58KSc[/media]
    Whats the point of the Republican party these days? Yes, lets attack Ron Paul and alienate all those people that support him. Great idea. And Lindsey Graham is such a complete douchebag.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: “Lindsey Graham: I Won’t Let Ron Paul Hijack the GOP”

What's the point of any political party these days? They're all seemingly full of crap.

Comment

Lindsey Graham is a traitor to the Republic. Don't even get me started on that tool.
      The American Resistance Movement: Defending the nation from tyranny since 1776.

Comment

The point of the Republicans seems to be to strive to be "Democrat Lite". We've already got a "big tent" party that accepts all comers. Given that, the Pubbies under Graham seem superfluous.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I would love to see Ron Paul run under the libertarian party. Even if he didn't win (likely) we would definitely break the 5% of the vote marker to allow the libertarian party to qualify for matching federal funds for their candidates, which would effectively bring us out of the 2 party system.

Comment

Originally posted by Morganan View Post
            I would love to see Ron Paul run under the libertarian party. Even if he didn't win (likely) we would definitely break the 5% of the vote marker to allow the libertarian party to qualify for matching federal funds for their candidates, which would effectively bring us out of the 2 party system.
            Sorry, didn't work last time he tried it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Pau...ntial_campaign

I still think the solution at the national level is not to create a viable third party but to eliminate parties altogether, allowing a large slate of of candidates to run only in a final election, not in primaries. Party machines could still endorse from this slate, but they couldn't filter which candidates were available in the final election.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Sorry, didn't work last time he tried it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Pau...ntial_campaign

I still think the solution at the national level is not to create a viable third party but to eliminate parties altogether, allowing a large slate of of candidates to run only in a final election, not in primaries. Party machines could still endorse from this slate, but they couldn't filter which candidates were available in the final election.
              You are talking over 20 years ago. Ron Paul was a nobody back then, why would it come as a shock that a nobody with no real name appeal outside his district would be a flop as a candidate for a party probably half of Americans dont know exists?

Outlawing parties will never fly, right to free expression anyone? On top of that a legit 3rd party candidate could possibly lead to the house of representatives electing a president which in todays landscape would probably end up leading to a complete overhauling of the election system,which isnt really a bad thing, don't you agree?

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                What's the point of any political party these days? They're all seemingly full of crap.
                I won't argue with you there. I just though that it was strange that at a time when the Republican Party is so deeply wounded Lindsey Graham would attack Ron Paul. They should be reaching out to his supporters and embracing some of his beliefs if they have any chance at all of rebounding. Not that I care if they ever do rebound with their current platform and belief system.
                |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

You are talking over 20 years ago. Ron Paul was a nobody back then
                  He was a Republican Congressman for a district in Texas, just as he was when he ran in the last election. The difference this time is only that he ran on the Pubbie ticket, which the mainstream considers more "respectable".

So we need to get rid of party control over elections (ie. public funding of primaries) so that the old parties no longer get privileged treatment.

Comment

Meanwhile, in the California Senatorial race, ex-HP exec and Pubbie Carly Fiorina wants to make da Intertubes safe for wimmin and chillen:

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/10/2...west-internet/

http://venturebeat.com/2009/10/20/we...t-tech-policy/

Asked what she thought about regulation of the web, she said it was inevitable that there would be more regulation of it. Why, for instance, is there no protection of women and children on the Internet, when there is plenty in real life. She said this duality — where anything goes on the wild wild west of the Internet — would have to end.
                    Nice double standard there, Carly. Freedom for everybody except when your pet "victims" are involved.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      Meanwhile, in the California Senatorial race, ex-HP exec and Pubbie Carly Fiorina wants to make da Intertubes safe for wimmin and chillen:
                      What political advisor/genius told her to grandstand for that issue? God help us. Didn't the "save the children" platform die off long ago? I hope its not being resurrected.
                      |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

The weird thing is that this is a couple of paragraphs from a much larger article in which she extols separation of state and business. It may be a knee-jerk reaction of a businesswoman, choosing by instinct to eat the regulation and try to usurp the regulators by buying the politicians that appoint them, instead of attempting to defend freedom from regulation.

Comment

Ron Paul gets real on MSNBC’s Rachel Maddow show

Ron Paul appeared on MSNBC with Rachel Maddow earlier tonight. They discussed the Lindsey Graham censure, Tea Party movement, and partisan politics.

Ron Paul took the high road (as usual) and was an equal opportunity attacker. It certainly was one of his better appearances. He even seemed “Presidential” in a “I’m a uniter, not a divider” kind of way. It is appearances like this that truly demonstrate Paul’s convictions and integrity.
                          [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA7W5VAJ_78[/media]
                          As the article points out, this was one of Ron Paul's best interviews and he really did appear presidential, thats definitely a first for him.
                          S.C. Sen. Graham dismisses county GOP group's censure

U.S. Sen. Lindsey Graham on Tuesday dismissed his censure by the Lexington County Republican Party as the "misplaced priorities" of narrow interests within the larger Republican Party — not a rebuke of him.

"The man who authored the resolution has never voted for a Republican nominee for president in the history of his life," said Graham, who is no stranger to intraparty criticism.

"He is the head of the Ron Paul movement in this part of South Carolina."
                          This sort of battle I guess you would call it inside the Republican Party is interesting to me. There really is no real leader of the party so you have all this infighting and Lindsey Graham is accusing Ron Paul of splitting the party again. Anybody have any idea who they think will emerge as the next leader of the Republican Party? Anybody really care at this point? :)
                          |TG-X| mp40x

Comment

That would siphon away enough votes from the GOP to guarantee a democratic victory in 2012 ala Nader no matter who is running.

Comment

In other news, Paul's son is running for Senator in Kentucky:

http://www.randpaul2010.com/

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X