No announcement yet.

"I kept playing" Kotaku Article

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I kept playing" Kotaku Article

Wow. And not in the World of Warcraft sense.

I'm sure some of you have flirted with similar problems...

Re: "I kept playing" Kotaku Article

I fully read that article, and it almost exactly describes me. That is scary, but I don't have a gaming addiction, more like an internet addiction. It's what I do to get away from everything. Thank you for sharing that. I guess I needed to open my eyes to it.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

It really can destroy you. It almost happened to me when my ex left me. The guys in the 6th probably remember it, I was spending probably 18 hours a day gaming. I was extremely depressed, although I didnt show it to the people in-game. It turns you into Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. When you're gaming, you're happy, you're funny, you're lively, you're energetic. But when you have to do anything else, even mundane tasks like going food shopping, you feel this crushing weight that doesnt make sense, you're easily irritable, you fly off the handle at ordinary things, you dont want to go anywhere to do anything.

Sometimes people have to be jerked out of it. Sometimes people get out of it on their own. My wake up call was when I found out that I was in danger of failing out of school while working on my masters. I wound up dropping all of my classes and repeating an entire semester so that my grades wouldnt suffer from my addiction. The sad thing is that when I have downtime, I can still feel it pulling at me, begging me back. I mean really, theres no side effects (aside from possibly developing carpal tunnel or my eyesight degrading), it wont kill me...right? Wrong. I'm in a position where I cant afford to lose my job. I cant afford to let my life fall apart. I'm not a kid anymore, and I have to have control. If I cant do it, how should I ever expect my kids to do it, or expect that I'd be able to make my kids stop with a good conscience?

So be careful guys. It can eat your life like you wouldnt believe. IMO, mechwarrior brings up a valid point: if you read this and you think "no way, thats not me" instead of thinking "I'm glad I have it under control", perhaps its time for a self evaluation. You may not be in full throes of it, but it's a quick descent once youre on the way down.

I think many of us have been there, I know I have.

My freshmen year of college I had a roommate who fits perfectly with this story: he played WoW over 50-60 hours a week. Since I was around him all the time, I ended up playing games more often too. It's like a black hole. My grades suffered quite a bit my freshmen year and I had to work really hard to bring them up the next few semesters. Was it his fault I ended up playing so much? No, of course not. But instead of going out with friends on the weekend or studying I ended up sitting inside, playing video games. Thankfully I woke up a bit after that year and try to keep my playing to a minimum, I joined more extra-curricular programs and made an effort to go out more. I do play allot, and I hesitate to say that I'm not addicted, but I believe I manage my time much better now. Yes there are times I slip, last summer was a great example: I was living back home, working two jobs and most of my friends were away. All I did was wake up every day, go to work, come home and log onto PR. Thankfully my life is back on track this school year, I've been busy with school, ROTC and friends and can only find time to play once or twice a week.

Unfortunately for my roommate, he was unable to climb out of his hiding place and he dropped out of school Sophomore year. Last I heard from him he was going to community college by his house part time...

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

It is definitely a slippery slope. Playing video games can be such an effective disconnect from the "Real World", and your problems and worries disappear. But they really don't do they?

I think the fact that I play Arma2 now has significantly reduced my game time. It's just harder to play for hours on end. The internet in general is a harder beast to deal with. It can be great to have all that information and resource at your finger tips, but time will sneak up on you quite quickly.

I believe there is a rehab center in Holland, not sure if its in Amsterdam or Rotterdam that deals specifically with Internet Gaming/Video Game Addictions.

For periods of time I was hooked on BF2, especially the first few months, playing non-stop, and the same thing happened with PR, especially on weekends, or during the holidays when I knew I didn't have to go to work the next day.

I have noticed, that because of teamspeak I sometimes have cut people off while they are talking, though its something I have curbed the moment I noticed it happening and it is one of the reasons why I am not using it that much if at all when playing PR.

Fortunately for me when I was in college PC video gaming on the internet wasn't as huge as it is now. I also didn't have a headset and a mic, though I did dabble in many LAN Counterstrike games here and there, and I did from time to time take a break while doing an all night to play some Counter-Strike, but if PR had been at the level it is now, then it would have been a problem, especially since I had a single.

I will say I never got into console games, partially due to cramping of the hands while using those types of controllers, and there are still many nights where I will stay up later than I imagined to finish a round that is really awesome, or I'll cut myself off.

As turkish said, video games are a truly effective disconnection from the "Real World".

Nowadays you don't see kids playing war, or manhunt outside, or in the woods, they play it online. Which IMHO is sad, but its a different generation.

I do sometimes scratch my head as to how some kids are allowed to play PR (the under 16 group), it might just be me, but if I found out my son was playing a video game late into the night in his room the computer would be disconnected faster than Kanye West interrupting Taylor Swift at the 2009 VMA's.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed