Matthew Hoh's resignation and the DEA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matthew Hoh's resignation and the DEA

Matthew Hoh's resignation letter is being held up by opponents of the war in Afghanistan as 4-page summary of why the U.S. needs to get out of the war. This is primarily based on he belief that the occupation/counter-insurgency can not succeed because it increases rather than decreases public/tribal support of the resistance. If you haven't read it, you should.

It has nothing to do with the DEA, but Afghanistan certainly does. It's widely known that Is it fair to expect the DEA to operate (and potentially die, as three did earlier this week) in a war that was not predicated on drugs but terrorism? Is it fair to force civilian DEA agents to operate in a war zone?

And now strings of truth are unfurling from the election 'runoff' - Karzai's brother is on the CIA payroll. Does that count as corruption, or is that just yet another part of American involvement? Hadn't we learned these lessons decades ago? Or are these just ghosts of failed past policies?

War on drugs, war on terror, dozens of overlapping government agencies intertwining and locking out the chance of any logical directive. They're all failing in Afghanistan. This war has become a mess. The more I study it, the more I am beginning to think it needs to end.

Re: Matthew Hoh's resignation and the DEA

So we should just pack up and leave?

Don't like it. Afghanistan is not Iraq. Afghanistan is a known problem area and will be as such for as far as I can see. Would rather be in the middle of the problem than outside it.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yes we should pack up and leave. At this point we are wasting resources, executing people instead of fighting a war (with a lot of collateral deaths in the process) and making zero progress. We aren't the enforcers of democracy and we shouldn't be forcing ourselves into other countries. If we weren't digging our fingers into these countries they wouldn't spawn terrorists who hate out country. If we want to have an effect on that country send more diplomats.

The DEA shouldn't have members outside the country, period.

*I don't think the DEA should exist but that is unrelated.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I believe it is still possible to succeed... but we're barking up the wrong tree in attempting to set up a democracy in a country split along strong tribal lines. Most of the villagers we visited didn't really give a crap what was going on in Kabul, it's not all intertwined and interconnected like it is in the United States. Nobody really cares what goes on outside their tribe, maybe outside their province. The village elders were much more concerned about what was going on in their village/town. I think it'd be better to set up a monarchy like what existed before the Soviets invaded.

Comment

If we legalized opium, one whole side of the equation would collapse, as we'd no longer be trying to force all their farmers into poverty, while putting our law enforcement in an environment ripe for corruption.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/History/ophs.htm
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I'm not saying that I think withdrawal is a good thing, because I don't. When is it? All I'm saying is that with each new report (from a real journalist on the ground, not cable/faux news), leaked document and resignation letter, I increasingly get the sense this is not going to work out, and that we need to stop spending troops and money problems that we cannot fix. Frankly, we can't afford to do this. It used to be we couldn't afford not to, but it's increasingly looking the opposite.

We can fly drones over Bin Laden's head forever, but having US troops policing Afghan villages while they are continuously attacked by an increasing number of Taliban and Pashtun militants who literally control a region as big as a state is not a winnable situation.

I do believe all would be better served by choosing the lesser of two evils - withdrawal.

Scratch does have a compelling point, but its a bit of a side issue (legalization of opiates). Furthermore, there's no way you're going to get the Chinese to buy off on that!

Comment

Long term if Afghanistan returns to what it was it will cost even more.

The fact is we (Bush/Cheney actually) have created a much larger enemy. A kind of enemy with a very long memory. Withdrawing from Afghanistan will give them a place to plot and stage attacks and just be generally nasty. This enemy is close to a nuclear country that is not the most stable of places to begin with that is also battling them.

Plus I don't like leaving behind people (mainly women) that will be once again be treated even worse than slaves under the Taliban.

Don't like it one bit.

The drug problem is a real one but separate. I say you get china to commit troops to fight it if it is so important to them.

Why don't we just buy the opium at like 2-3 times the market rate?
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X