V and Obamamania

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V and Obamamania

Many are speculating that the new show V, in which aliens infiltrate Earth's governments with nefarious ends in mind, is a parable about Obama's popularity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V_%282009_TV_series%29

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,7062976.story
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: V and Obamamania

Many people are stupid idiots who don't see it as a simple remaking of a past TV series just like most entertainment projects like BSG, The Poseidon Adventure, Beverly Hills 90210...
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Why is this implausible? Taken at face value, BSG was simply a remake, but it was "updated" and many episodes/storylines reflected the then-current events that happened in the real world.

Comment

It may be a remake but that doesn't mean it can't overlay that with social commentary about present-day politics.

Like the original Star Trek episode "The Enterprise Incident" which was modeled after the "Pueblo Incident".

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/The_..._%28episode%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pueblo_incident

The best SF isn't shoot-em-ups but the stuff that explores human nature. Trek often had stories that addressed the issues of its day in an allegorical manor because outright mention of the real issues wouldn't be tolerated by those who controlled their medium.

Hollywood is run by Obama fans, so one wouldn't dare question him openly in a fictional story.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

From the article:

Imagine this. At a time of political turmoil, a charismatic, telegenic new leader arrives virtually out of nowhere. He offers a message of hope and reconciliation based on compromise and promises to marshal technology for a better future that will include universal health care.
          So they based the president on the current president, what witty commentary! The rest of the story (the aliens evil intentions, the people going along with it, the resistance movement) are all from the original series. If the series came out last year and had a Texan president with speech giving issues who spent a lot of time on vacation it wouldn't make the series a commentary on the president, they would just be using the president's characteristics...
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Keep in mind, the article was just speculation from the author, unless I missed a direct quote from one of the writers confirming the allegory.

Comment

I thinks Ana's reference to "providing universal health care" as one of the visitors' goals has brought on this discussion. During production, A script must go through many changes with scenes and dialogue being added, altered and deleted. I wonder if that term was a late addition. As for the pilot episode, I was underwhelmed.

AB
              "Press the red shiny button"~Vortex
              "I may give out, but I'll never give in." ~ Lou Bond "To the Establishment"

Comment

All the themes in "V" (and really in most pop culture entertainment) are common and old. You can see some of them in tales that span human history.

Be wary of the benevolent leader. Watch for the power behind the throne. Things aren't always what they seem. Be cautious when somebody offers utopia.

I think you have to be just as worried about Obama as you do ANY person with power.

Power corrupts and all that...
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

If Obama starts passing around copies of "To Serve Man", petition your congressman to impeach him.

Comment

The media invents 'obamamania' and then a media outlet makes a ficticious science fiction show that a creative newspaper thinks is related to the invention. I wonder if Obama finds any of this at all flattering. My guess is he pays it no mind. That's what I'm doing, too.

Comment

I doubt most Trekkies thought about the Pueblo incident until The Enterprise Incident aired. Part of the function of SF is to get the cattle nervous.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        I doubt most Trekkies thought about the Pueblo incident until The Enterprise Incident aired. Part of the function of SF is to get the cattle nervous.
                        That is the purpose of most art. That and inspiration.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X