Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EA cuts 17% of workforce

1st time...wow

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
    George S. Patton

Re: EA cuts 17% of workforce

Here's a link:

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articl....php?id=119470

Certainly sad that the games industry is being hit so had massive cuts are having to be made. :(

Still if it means EA can continue trading then I guess it's the right move, and a loss of $391 million is big by anyone's standard. Something had to be done.

Comment

They're going to be designing games for Facebook as well? That seems like a bad idea.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

There goes any hope of a real successor to Battlefield2. Not that we ever had much hope anyway.

Comment

Battlefield Facebook?
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Here's a gamesindustry.biz article about it. Its got a bit more hard details, including more important remark from the CFO.

The big ones are that they have (or will) cut 12 unannounced titles, and from the remarks it seems like they'd mostly be new IP ones. And, more importantly, the CFO said that "several" facilities will be closing their doors as well, how many of those being full on studios is anyone's guess.
            BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
            CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

In the long run this might be a good thing for gamers. Some of those developers might go on and develop good original stuff instead of guaranteed money makers for corporate.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Haven't been keeping up with this as much as I should.

Pandemic Studios has been closed since the 17th. And also it looks like the Command and Conquer crew is getting the same deal that Ensemble Studios got from Microsoft, i.e. finish CnC 4 and then get out, source.
                BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

Who will buy theses games now, knowing that they will be rushed out the door and never supported.

Comment

Originally posted by PaintScratcher View Post
                    Here's a link:

http://www.smdailyjournal.com/articl....php?id=119470

Certainly sad that the games industry is being hit so had massive cuts are having to be made. :(

Still if it means EA can continue trading then I guess it's the right move, and a loss of $391 million is big by anyone's standard. Something had to be done.
                    You missed 2 paragraphs down where they said,

These results only paint a partial picture of how EA performed during the quarter. When counting deferred revenue from packaged games with online components and games that are completely digital, EA reported adjusted earnings of $19 million, or 6 cents per share. That is up from an adjusted loss of $20 million a year earlier, and it compares with average analyst estimates of 7 cents per share.

Adjusted revenue climbed 2 percent to $1.15 billion, inching past analyst estimates as polled by Thomson Reuters.
                    As far as the cut's themselves, they are all from under-performing sectors of their company. Pandemic? Mythic? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythic_Entertainment and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pandemic_Studios for lists of their games. Destroy all humans 2 and Dark Age of Camelot are the only two titles on those lists that can even be considered as "good for their time" games.

The industry as a whole has the bigger companies stepping back from new IP's due to the increases in digital distribution and indie development cutting into their profit margins. It simply doesn't make any sense to front 10-20m to develop a new game to even an internal studio when you can simply distribute a game for an immensely smaller investment and in the end have a much higher profit margin albeit at a lower overall number. They are trading lower gross profits potential for higher net profits.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X