• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Code of Jihad Revised, conflict now between LIFG and al Qaeda

An interesting article:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/af...ode/index.html

Snippet:
    Leaders of one of the world's most effective Jihadist organizations, the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG), have written a new 'code' for Jihad. The LIFG says it now views the armed struggle it waged against Col. Moammar Gadhafi's regime for two decades as illegal under Islamic law.

The new code, a 417-page religious document entitled "Corrective Studies" is the result of more than two years of intense and secret talks between the leaders of the LIFG and Libyan security officials.

The code's most direct challenge to al Qaeda is this: "Jihad has ethics and morals because it is for God. That means it is forbidden to kill women, children, elderly people, priests, messengers, traders and the like. Betrayal is prohibited and it is vital to keep promises and treat prisoners of war in a good way. Standing by those ethics is what distinguishes Muslims' Jihad from the wars of other nations."
    Before the regulars jump on any perceived agenda on my part, I posted this article because of the recent discussions around Islam in the Sandbox. I understand this is one article with one perspective. However, I know the Sandbox regulars are investigative and thought provoking, so I'm curious to see what all of you can dig up on this and thoughts on the article. Certainly it doesn't have all the details, but I know that until reading it I was very unaware of it.

Edit: Yes, I know I typo'd the subject
    Last edited by Damonte; 11-10-2009, 12:40 PM.

"Everytime I read your posts I do it with Morgan Freeman's voice in my head as if he is narrating your life" - Aimed

Re: Code of Johad Revised, conflict now between LIFG and al Qaeda

"Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG)"

Can't help it but it makes me think of "Life of Brian"
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

There will probably be more ideological challenges to Al-Qaeda's leadership as time goes on. I don't see such extreme radicalism keeping steam until it is moderated and accepted by the broader majority in these countries through measures like this.
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Translation: suicide-bombing markets of kids, women, and chopping off the heads of any prisoners we happen to capture makes us look like medieval savages. Stop that crap so we can legitimize ourselves to the rest of the world.

If they could make it happen, it wouldn't be as simple to paint them as bad guys, especially to the populace that they're hiding amongst.

Comment

Re: Code of Jihad Revised, conflict now between LIFG and al Qaeda

If only the avg person understood what Islam stands for and what extremist Islam stands for.......the latter, if you haven't already guessed is what Bin Laden spread throughout Afghanistan with the help of a stereo/tape player and cassette tapes.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            "Libyan Islamic Fighting Group (LIFG)"

Can't help it but it makes me think of "Life of Brian"
            For some reason LBGTA comes to mind when I first saw that. Don't know why, but I do like that Monty Python reference.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

This is actually a pretty interesting development. I concur with Gill's analysis. The Libyans are desperate to be seen as a legitimate political force, and it's obvious that this new thinking has reached the point where the old ways (indiscriminate terrorism) are not seen as helpful to the agenda.

Read another way, this jihadist group has basically just said they have ROE to follow, will essentially only attack military (young men of fighting age) targets, and try and minimize collateral damage.
              Do or do not, there is no try....
              -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                If only the avg person understood what Islam stands for and what extremist Islam stands for.......the latter, if you haven't already guessed is what Bin Laden spread throughout Afghanistan with the help of a stereo/tape player and cassette tapes.
                The best analogy I've see thus far actually came from the TV show The West Wing. They basically said Islamic Extremists are to Islam, as the KKK is to Christianity. If more people saw it that way I'm sure that a lot of the religious misconceptions in the US would if nothing else lessen.

~ Draken

Comment

Their recruitment drive must be drying up - they looked for reasons why and found out that indiscriminate murder makes them look bad to influencing the 16-25 year old demographic.

This "shift in focus" serves their purpose, that's why they shifted - now that they have determined that such actions are illegal in the eyes of Islam I wonder how many of their number will be punished? not many I'm sure.

It's refreshing to know that one bunch of idiots are trying to make the world a more moral place by blurring the lines between "good" and "bad" even further.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by INSUNABULA View Post
                    It's refreshing to know that one bunch of idiots are trying to make the world a more moral place by blurring the lines between "good" and "bad" even further.
                    Sniff, Sniff.......this has CNN written all over it. These idiots must be in cahoots with the head honcho's over at CNN.
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...