Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Games 'permit' virtual war crimes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8373794.stm

Video games depicting war have come under fire for flouting laws governing armed conflicts.

Human rights groups played various games to see if any broke humanitarian laws that govern what is a war crime.

The study condemned the games for violating laws by letting players kill civilians, torture captives and wantonly destroy homes and buildings.

It said game makers should work harder to remind players about the real world limits on their actions.

War without limits

The study was carried out by two Swiss human rights organisations - Trial and Pro Juventute. Staff played the games in the presence of lawyers skilled in the interpretation of humanitarian laws.

Twenty games were scrutinised to see if the conflicts they portrayed and what players can do in the virtual theatres of war were subject to the same limits as in the real world.

"The practically complete absence of rules or sanctions is... astonishing," said the study.

Army of Two, Call of Duty 5, Far Cry 2 and Conflict Desert Storm were among the games examined.

...snip...

It noted that, even though most players would never become real world combatants, the games could influence what people believe war is like and how soldiers conduct themselves in the real world.

It said games were sending an "erroneous" message that conflicts were waged without limits or that anything was acceptable in counter-terrorism operations.

"This is especially problematic in view of today's reality," said the study.

In particular, it said, few games it studied reflected the fact that those who "violate international humanitarian law end up as war criminals, not as winners".
    All I have is jokes about Jedi Knight players thinking that Force powers are ok as long as they are going to the Dark side.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Games 'permit' virtual war crimes

I never had any of my joes lose his mind in a combat situation because that "was how he did it in videogames". Military folk are the least likely to be "influenced" by war games. Training - not the hours of Halo matches - takes over when the "SHTF".

Comment

"The practically complete absence of rules or sanctions is... astonishing," said the study.
      Isn't that the entire point of video games? To allow the person to do something they simply can't do in real life?

Those people just don't get it. They constantly try to tie games to real life. But the whole point of games is to get away from real life.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The only thing I recall being blatant that I did in CoD5 single player is shoot some Nazi prisoners. However not once did I think that current troops would just shoot some unarmed prisoners. I do believe it was a practice the Russians used on Nazi captives at the time.

Stupid argument.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
          Military folk are the least likely to be "influenced" by war games. Training - not the hours of Halo matches - takes over when the "SHTF".
          qft

If I were deployed, the last thing I would be relating to or even thinking about in a tactical situation is what I would do or what I've seen in some game. I'd love to see all of those humanitarians go through BCT and then re-evaluate.

Comment

Boo Hoo poor baby.........I am guessing in a few days, or on Monday this will be a front page story in the NY Times.......Its amazing how some people take way to many things seriously....

Good thing the writer has never played insurgency on the Battlefield 2 PR Mod, he would still be writing the article about all the "civilian friendly fire" incidents that occur.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Stupid Press! Not to worry folks, soon the people villifying video games will be in nursing homes and everyone else will understand what really goes on.

Former E1st Heavyweight

Comment

You know, as I jammed my boot into the throat of the alien brood lord and unloaded burst after burst of hot plasma into his hideous alien skull I thought to myself "What have I become? How did it come to this, executing unarmed prisoners of a conflict deliberately engineered by the shadowy, xenophobic military government controlling world politics from their orbital battleships? When did I lose my humanity?"

Then I remembered it was a fracking video game and went on to gleefully nail a fusion bomb to a freighter full of terrified civillians and shot it down over an alien base.

I'd also like to point out that our ARMA guys do use rules of engagement, to nyah.

Comment

Originally posted by 1er View Post
                  Stupid Press! Not to worry folks, soon the people villifying video games will be in nursing homes and everyone else will understand what really goes on.
                  There are plenty of young people who get into this mindset too. Just like all the youngsters who favor gun control and the war on drugs. There will always be people who think your flavor of recreation should be banned, that only their flavor should be allowed.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Wow, its really sad how some people think others cant tell the diference between real life and games. Some of these groups and lawyors need to forget about the real life laws for a second and just have some fun in a game while not worrying about if they are breaking the Geneva convention while doing so.
                    |TG-69th|chrisweb89

Comment

I heart conflict desert storm.
                      |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

http://kotaku.com/5863817/war-crimes...cross-scrutiny

One of the world's largest and most respected humanitarian groups in the world is investigating whether the Geneva and Hague conventions should be applied to the fictional recreation of war in video games.

If they agree those standards should be applied, the International Committee of the Red Cross says they may ask developers to adhere to the rules themselves or "encourage" governments to adopt laws to regulate the video game industry.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Real world permits real war crimes. BAN THIS SICK FILTH!
                          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                          Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                            Real world permits real war crimes. BAN THIS SICK FILTH!
                            I laughed far more than I should have.

Pepper

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly." David Hackworth

Comment

Where's that zombie apocalypse when ya need it...

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X