Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Piracy... continuation of the Call of Duty thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piracy... continuation of the Call of Duty thread.

Thread's open if those in the CoD forums want to continue the discussion.

Count me as part of the "piracy = bad" group. The thread strayed off-topic when some were fairly up-front with the fact that they "pirated" Modern Warfare 2.

My contribution to that thread, I've posted it here in case TG at large wishes to join the discussion.

If Ford releases a new F-150 that shows disregard for the fans of the truck (they replace the engine with whatever powers the Smartcar, or they "bling it out" to "appeal to a younger crowd" or some other asinine idea), does that mean everyone who takes a strong dislike to the new direction Ford has taken their F-150 line is given free reign to - in lieu of purchasing it - steal it off the lot?
    My point is that I disagree that disillusionment or anger towards a product (as is the situation with a portion of the PC community towards the changes made in MW2) gives one any "right" or "entitlement" to steal said product, even as a way to "punish Infinity Ward and/or Activision".

If Burger King offers a new Whopper slathered with some vile form of salsa and citizens began stealing the now-crappy Whoppers to "show Burger King who's boss" or some other notion of consumer vigilantism, do you think that the police officers would not arrest the thieves?

Whatever your excuse, you're still stealing. And don't post any nonsense about pirating a game "just to try it out because there isn't a demo, and I'll purchase it if I like it". You don't walk into Blockbuster and grab a movie you may like and walk out of the store saying, "Hey, I'm going to borrow this. If I enjoy it, I'll pay you the rental fee."

Ultimately, it's dumb regardless of the reason because if you're pirating anything, YOU are contributing to the current state of games being infected with the various forms of DRM.

Re: Piracy... continuation of the Call of Duty thread.

You are not stealing if you pirate. It simply isn't the same.

I don't think the two are morally equivalent either. Not saying it is good, but it isn't as bad.

It is illegal and the individual is breaking the law, but it isn't stealing.

Does it lead to what we are seeing today with companies preferring the console due to it being harder to use pirated games? Yes, I believe it does. Though I don't think it contributed to the decision to not support independent servers.

What they are trying to do is work towards the World of Warcraft (mmo) model where individuals pay a monthly fee to play the game.

Personally I will just wait until it is 5 dollars at wally world. I am contributing just as much to those that pirate when it comes to companies decisions. They don't care about pirating or me not buying the game. They care about money.

So what they do is try and capture the most they can from the audience willing to pay. There will always be a group that simply not pay 60 bucks for a video game. DRM and console development is the way to get that audience.

Another thing. When I do get the game for $5 (or $10) or buy it used from somebody and then download a cracked version I can run however I want I am breaking the same laws as the "pirates". But am I really?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Technically aren't you breaking a copy write law by using Clint Eastwood's picture as your Avatar. Do you have written consent and such? Or did you pirate the image and just start using it? If it's wrong to break one copy write law then it should be just as wrong to break another yes?

Comment

No game is good enough that I have to play it if I object to poor business practices or bad decisions made by the developer or publisher. I won't pirate games because I don't have that huge of a sense of entitlement. The ad hominem on the Clint Eastwood avatar was beyond weak by the way.
        sigpic

Comment

Weak does not make it untrue. You shouldn't complain about one copy write law while breaking another in the same post it's just silly.

Comment

If you speed, you should go to prison. That's what should happen if you break the law.
            sigpic

Comment

If you want to say that you want to go against anything illegal then be free to take that stance! However don't say speeding is wrong, and then say you consider going 5 over ok.

Comment

What I'm really trying to say is that attacking a poster instead of having a remotely valid counter-argument means that you've probably lost. You're seriously grasping at straws trying to paint the OP as a hypocrite. It's sort of like basketball. If you're going to foul a guy going to the hoop, at least make sure he doesn't make the shot. If you're going to use a cheap logical fallacy in place of an actual argument, you'd better bring better game than "did Clint Eastwood give you permission to use him as an avatar?".
                sigpic

Comment

Re: Clint Eastwood avatar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Comment

I don't disagree with his argument, so I don't need a counter argument I think it is just IGNORANT to say I hate when X happens and be doing the same thing on a fundamental level. It is just stupid.

Fair use doesn't get held up all the time online. Look at youtube. It happens all the time, if the production company wanted it gone, they would cry foul and the hosting site would remove the image. So is the company wrong for trying to uphold it's copy write to it's fullest extent?

Comment

There is an entire doctrine within United States copyright law called "fair use" enabling us all to share and distribute images, words, and media on the internet. You're practicing fair use anytime you look something up on wikipedia, look at video on Youtube, cut and paste pieces of articles from online newspapers, or even post screen captures of our various computer games in the Screenshots forum.

Using an image from a movie as an avatar on an internet message forum does not break United States copyright law.

Comment

OK, that's fine and dandy. So you've never copied a movie on VHS, burned a cd or a dvd? Honestly curious how vigilant you are against piracy.

Comment

There is no law that I was breaking when I copied old VHS tapes eons ago so long as I did not distribute them (free of charge or for profit). I believe the Supreme Court has my back on this. As far as music, even the RIAA has deemed it okay to copy the music you own, so long as its legitimately owned and for personal use. iTunes says I can make as many custom CDs as I want, but again, so long as its for "personal, noncommercial use".

I have never had cause to copy a DVD, but even with DVDs/Blu-Rays/HD-DVDs it is legal to copy them for (again) "personal, noncommerical use". They've just made it difficult to do so.

The main commonality between all those mediums is that I own them. Although Gringo does bring up the issue of using cracked executables (mainly so that you can play the game without the CD/DVD in the drive) that may break the EULA (the long agreement that you check the "I Agree" box to without bothering to read it, just like 99.999% of the rest of us).

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                            There is an entire doctrine within United States copyright law called "fair use" enabling us all to share and distribute images, words, and media on the internet. You're practicing fair use anytime you look something up on wikipedia, look at video on Youtube, cut and paste pieces of articles from online newspapers, or even post screen captures of our various computer games in the Screenshots forum.

Using an image from a movie as an avatar on an internet message forum does not break United States copyright law.
                            But we don't know if the "fair use" is actually still in play. DRM and the laws supporting it may override what we have come to expect.

If you backup a DVD is it fair use or have you broken the law? Right now it is both. Nobody knows yet really.

Also, it can be argued that because the clint eastwood picture is displayed to possibly billions of people it is no longer fair use. It is no longer personal.
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                              The main commonality between all those mediums is that I own them. .
                              You don't actually own them. You have licensed them. That license says what you can and can't do with the stuff. DRM is another set of restrictions on top of the licensing.

The problem is it is all very abstract. Nothing is concrete like "he stole x so now I can't utilize x any longer".

Another problem is that the companies licensing the software are assuming the customers are scofflaws. Treat people like criminals and they will behave like criminals.

I don't know what the answer is. I do know that outright piracy of software hurts everybody in the end. I also know that the way companies are treating customers just angers individuals and the only ones really hurt are the honest customer that pays real money for the products.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X