35,000 to Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 35,000 to Afghanistan

McClatchey found a leak on what's going to be announced next week. America, meet your first liberal neocon President.

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama met Monday evening with his national security team to finalize a plan to dispatch some 34,000 additional U.S. troops over the next year to what he's called "a war of necessity" in Afghanistan, U.S. officials told McClatchy.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/79380.html

Re: 35,000 to Afghanistan

Well good. I am glad he isn't going with the left or it's ideals on this.
    Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It would irritate me to know that the delay in troop increase was a political maneuver, given that this decision comes not so long after healthcare "won" in the House and was moved to debate in the Senate.

It seems like the liberal voting base was given one victory they're clamoring for while trading that goodwill for a decision they won't like.

Comment

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/presid...ory?id=9227861

With New Surge, One Thousand U.S. Soldiers and $300 Million for Every One al Qaeda Fighter ... BUT .. Obama said sending 30,000 more troops into Afghanistan is in the "vital national interest" of the United States.

Money well spent ? Be logic.

Comment

Unless we're there to conquer, I don't think this is going to work out.

Comment

I still haven't heard one plausible explanation of what would constitute an endgame victory.

Comment

So have you heard any implausible ones?

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                Unless we're there to conquer, I don't think this is going to work out.
                Agreed. The locals are all siding with the Taliban against their own corrupt government. We need to replace that corrupt government with our own corrupt government. I say make Pakistan and Afghanistan into US Territories on the road to Statedom, with all the rights, responsibilities, regulations, and taxes that right-thinking westerners enjoy.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                  So have you heard any implausible ones?
                  Winning the hearts and minds of a populous that is 36% literate and has no media with a propped up government that has no power outside the city limits of Kabul. In a country that does not have the resources to ever support an infrastructure that could enforce law and order.

Comment

I detect an irony deficit. For almost 40 years we nearly blew ourselves away with nuclear weapons. Afghans were held up as beacon examples of freedom fighters bravely holding off the soviet tyranny. 1989, the world breathes a huge sigh of relief after the velvet revolutions and the world tries to move on.

2001. A terrorist event against the United States triggers aggressive responses (so much for "love thy enemy" from Bible bashing neocons) - an idea is hatched. "I know, we're the country that 'won' (remember MAD?) that Cold War ....

LET'S INVADE AFGHANISTAN !!!"

2009. Obama sends thousands more troops. 8 days later MIT set's up the Dept for the Study of Irony and Satire in American Politics.

To be fair, the USA is used to this. The Monroe Doctrine looks identical to the Treaty of Tordesillas that divided the world into East and West when Spain was the corrupt world Empire - the Conquistadors !
                    Commandante Poet-Soldier -{[Another-World-Is-Possible]}-

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      I say make Pakistan and Afghanistan into US Territories on the road to Statedom, with all the rights, responsibilities, regulations, and taxes that right-thinking westerners enjoy.
                      Hehe.
                      Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Interestingly enough, although CC Obama has "shifted focus" to Afghanistan, I've yet to hear any real meat and potatoes with the increase in troops. Yeah, the 35,000 troops is great, but what is he getting at? What's the endgame? What are, in Obama's eyes, "victory" conditions in Afghanistan. He's clearly stated that we're not there to conquer, yet he wants to send more troops... He needs to communicate to the American Public his end game. He needs to be precise and firm....

Because right now it's flip-floppy BS.

Originally posted by Poet-Soldier View Post
                        I detect an irony deficit. For almost 40 years we nearly blew ourselves away with nuclear weapons. Afghans were held up as beacon examples of freedom fighters bravely holding off the soviet tyranny. 1989, the world breathes a huge sigh of relief after the velvet revolutions and the world tries to move on.

2001. A terrorist event against the United States triggers aggressive responses (so much for "love thy enemy" from Bible bashing neocons) - an idea is hatched. "I know, we're the country that 'won' (remember MAD?) that Cold War ....

LET'S INVADE AFGHANISTAN !!!"
                        Well, that wonderful Mujahadeen that Charlie Wilson and others helped fight off the Russians decided to bite us in the ass. Such is life.

I'm pretty sure that Islam does not preach mass-murder, despite what the Extremists say. Both Christianity and Islam have extremists. That's a given...

But what separates the US from the Islamic Extremists we fight today is that our Military is legitimate, does not use acts of terror, and does not base doctrine on "religion."
                        Skud

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTRXYllAcQQ[/media]
                          Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

I actually searched for the same video.
                            Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                              But what separates the US from the Islamic Extremists we fight today is that our Military is legitimate, does not use acts of terror, and does not base doctrine on "religion."
                              I don't think this "war" against dust and ghost taliban is base on the religion in both way. This war, like every war, is made up for the very interrest of the bankers that are growing the debt of your country and the military indusrial complexe. When there's billions of dollars on the table, the only rule is Capitalization, not religion, not legetimity. I'm still waiting to see the american, in few years, realize what is really going on with their economy.

If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their money, first by inflation and then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them (around the banks), will deprive the people of their property until their children will wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. -
                              Thomas Jefferson

You guys was told, long time ago. War = Debt = Inflation.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X