Violence Against Seattle Area Police an Ugly Trend

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violence Against Seattle Area Police an Ugly Trend

By now we are all aware of the recent killing of four Seattle area police officers. With the latest report that the suspect wanted for the killings has been shot dead by police:
    Seattle police kill suspect in officer slayings

SEATTLE -- The man suspected of gunning down four police officers in a suburban coffee shop was shot and killed by a lone patrolman investigating a stolen car early Tuesday. Four people were arrested for allegedly helping the suspect elude authorities during a massive two-day manhunt.
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfMQlaq7ozY[/media]
    But some reading into Seattle area news revealed to me that violence against the police is pretty common place and I even found an article dating back to 2007 explaining the rise of violence against local law enforcement.
    Violence against police rising

In King County, assaults on sheriff's deputies during the first six months of 2007 were up 20 percent from the same period last year, sheriff's Sgt. John Urquhart said. Thirty-five assaults on officers were reported by midyear, he said.
    But the most recent violence is more targeted and violent than ever. And some of it seems to be some kind of twisted retaliation for the beating of a 15 year old girl inside the King County Jail:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlXbUatPc-A[/media]
    Beating caught on police video

A video showing a King County Sheriff's deputy pummeling a 15-year-old girl in a holding cell was released Friday over the strenuous objections of the officer's attorney.

The case goes beyond police misconduct, County Prosecutor Dan Satterberg said in a prepared statement.

"It's about criminal misconduct. And that's why he needs to be prosecuted," he said.

The video of the Nov. 29 incident was disclosed Friday, one day after Deputy Paul Schene, 31, pleaded not guilty to misdemeanor assault in King County District Court.
    Now that case against Deputy Paul Schene for the alleged beating of that girl is still ongoing. But a guy named Christopher J. Monfort started a war against local police that resulted in the killing of one officer and he left a note detailing why, in his sick mind, he waged this murderous campaign:
    Court documents reveal more about note, evidence on Monfort

On Friday, additional court documents were released in the case of Christopher J. Monfort, the man charged with killing Seattle Police Officer Tim Brenton, wounding of his partner, Britt Sweeney, and attempting to kill detectives who confronted him six days after the shooting.

It also detailed the full text of the threatening note left at the Oct. 22 arson scene of three police vehicles. Monfort also has been charged in that case.

Police said a patrol car video shows his Datsun 210 passing Brenton and Sweeney's car at 9:59 p.m., eight minutes before Brenton is killed. Video shows that the car passed the location where the officers were discussing their traffic stop in the same direction the patrol car was parked, police said. The car then allegedly made a right turn at the next street, putting it in a position to round the block and approach the patrol car from behind.
    The note:
    These deaths are dedicated to Deputy Travis Bruner, he stood by and did nothing, As Deputy Paul Sheen brutally beat and (sic) unarmed 14 year old Girl in their care. You Swear a Solemn Oath to Protect US from All Harm, That includes You! Start policing each other or get ready to attend a lot of police funerals.
    Now thats basically nothing more than domestic terrorism. Why does the culture in the Seattle, one that prides itself in progressive thinking and having an open mind, seem to be heading in the opposite direction. There is a definite pattern of violence against the police, now, and it seems for quite some time. What could be causing all this. The latest shooting according to police has more than one suspect:
    "We expect to have maybe six or seven people in custody by the day's end," said Ed Troyer, a spokesman for the Pierce County sheriff. "Some are friends, some are acquaintances, some are partners in crime, some are relatives. Now they're all partners in crime."
    My God this almost sounds like a collective group that plotted the whole ambush. What the hell is going on? What happened to striving for change through political means? Now people are just gunning down cops because they are mad? Wow. Its hard to believe.

And now in one of the most bizzare occurrences ever. Apparently former Arkansas Governor Mike Huckabee actually pardoned the latest suspect Maurice Clemmons.

Mike Huckabee defends freeing convict wanted in Washington police shootings

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee broke his silence Monday and defended his decision to support freedom for a convict now wanted in the ambush slayings of four Seattle-area police officers. "If I could have known nine years ago that this guy was capable of something of this magnitude, obviously I would never have granted the commutation," Huckabee said.
    Last edited by mp40x; 12-01-2009, 02:09 PM.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Violence Against Seattle Area Police an Ugly Trend

Not in any way justifying the murders of the cops, but to address the topic of this thread, I will submit that the police in general have become increasingly a force of their own, seemingly above the law, and more and more confrontational than ever.

This occurred to me while I was watching older episodes of Cops, where police officers behaved in a way that demonstrated that they were there to serve the public and be helpful. In contrast, today the police project force, strength, and violence, and with the proliferation of video and sites like youtube, it's becoming increasingly evident that police brutality is either on the rise, or has always been at an unacceptable level.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
      ... or has always been at an unacceptable level.
      50 or more years ago Police were not shy about popping a mouthy drunk in the head once with a blackjack to shut him up. They didn't fear for their lives, but they were violent.

Now Police fear for their safety, and there's a camera always waiting to film what happens to citizens when they do.

|

Comment

Hey, mp40x, I'm not sure if it was a conspiracy between ALL the individuals... although I did hear of one of the suspects supposedly being the "getaway driver" for the shootings at Forza.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
          Hey, mp40x, I'm not sure if it was a conspiracy between ALL the individuals... although I did hear of one of the suspects supposedly being the "getaway driver" for the shootings at Forza.
          Right. There's a lot more information about the suspect and events now then when I first made the post. It was really just a knee-jerk reaction on my part out of complete shock towards the events that transpired and the trend of violence in that area against the police. Cops being murdered execution style in broad daylight by people who seem to have no conscience at all is not a daily occurence in America and therefore shocked the hell out of me. But just to touch base on what Tempus said in his post.

Originally posted by Tempus View Post
          Not in any way justifying the murders of the cops, but to address the topic of this thread, I will submit that the police in general have become increasingly a force of their own, seemingly above the law, and more and more confrontational than ever.

This occurred to me while I was watching older episodes of Cops, where police officers behaved in a way that demonstrated that they were there to serve the public and be helpful. In contrast, today the police project force, strength, and violence, and with the proliferation of video and sites like youtube, it's becoming increasingly evident that police brutality is either on the rise, or has always been at an unacceptable level.
          Maybe now is not the time to raise this discussion, as the families of the murdered officers are still grieving their tremendous loss. But, their is an old quote by Martin Luther King, Jr. wich says:
          "Hate begets hate; violence begets violence; toughness begets a greater toughness.
          Now the police are increasingly more violent than they have ever been. Maybe its possible that the violence that they create is somehow translating into violence against them. The militarization, violent approach, and the 'us against them' attitude that the police currently have is maybe creating some unintended blowback. When I lived in Kentucky I found a website in nearby Louisville advocating police reform called Citizens Against Police Abuse. Some of their thoughts here:

Why Police Abuse Is Allowed To Continue and How It Relates to Other Problems

The police departments have bad policies and "internal cultures":

•Their hiring policies are flawed. They do not do enough checking of the backgrounds and complete psychological tests on officer candidates. The departments have a habit of hiring officers who have a "power-hungry and gung-ho mentality" and often hold racist, sexist or homophobic views. We do not need anyone like that in a position of power carrying guns.
          •Police officers are not trained properly. This has led to shooting suspects (most of whom have been unarmed) and abusing people in the community regularly. They tend to "shoot first and ask questions later". It appears that instead of being trained to deal with people in a respectful manner they operate under the assumption that everybody is a potential criminal.
          •Departments have vague "use of force" policies that allow officers to interpret them the way they want.
          •There is no accountability when an officer violates the department's own policies. Officers are rarely found guilty of wrongdoing by the police department's own internal investigations. In fact, in many cities nationwide, officers who shoot people dead end up getting promoted. This gives them the go-ahead to abuse more victims. Clearly, the police cannot police themselves. 90% of citizen complaints of excessive use of force end up in "no action".
          •There is no "quality control". Bad officers with many complaints are not adequately tracked and therefore never get fired.
          •There is an unwritten "Blue Code" of silence which means that police officers cover up for each other. The Louisville Police Department (LPD) tolerates this conduct.
          •Most abused citizens are discouraged from filing complaints and are sometimes intimidated into not doing so. This results in much abuse not ever being reported. When they do file, victim's complaints are often distorted and sometimes falsified by internal affairs officers. Accused officers lie to cover themselves. (See: OOPS?!: Process & suggestions for filing a complaint)
          •Officers get a commission every time they arrest someone. They get about $40 every time they show up in court in addition to their salaries. This system encourages them to arrest anybody and slap them with a bogus charge, or pull people over for no reason, in hopes that they will be able to find something to charge them with.
          •Policing is a stressful job and the police department does not have an adequate social support system within the department to help them deal with the stresses.

Bad laws govern the criminal justice system:

•When an officer is accused and goes to court for abusing citizens, in many states they have "special rights". These include "qualified immunity" which gives them automatic appeals when they are found guilty. For the average citizen this is not the case because a judge can deny an appeal.
          •Mandatory minimum sentencing laws automatically send people to jail for certain crimes regardless of individual circumstances. These laws mean that the judge can't take into consideration, for example, the accused having a past clean record. These laws end up crowding our jails and prisons. Almost all inmates in local, state and federal jails and prisons are there because of drug or economic crimes, not violent crimes like rape, abuse or murder. (See: The War on Drugs)
          •Jury pools are selected from a pool of registered voters, so if you are not registered to vote, you will never sit on a jury. This has resulted in juries in this country being disproportionately white and older. Consequently, most people, especially people of color, are not judged by a "jury of their peers".
          •People who are poor can become victims of the system even if they are not guilty. Poor folks usually don't have the money to fight a case to the bitter end or get a good attorney who has experience and will fight it. This means they are often encouraged to "plea bargain" where they plead guilty to a lesser charge even if they are not guilty. This railroading of people through the courts saves the police departments, prosecutors, district attorneys, courts and cities time and a lot of money. This is a system that doesn't care about justice, only money. Source.
          Now this is just one small political action group from one area, but there are many more throughout the country with similar views. I think that it needs to be addressed on a national level to get the police back to the "serve and protect" mindset.
          Last edited by mp40x; 12-03-2009, 11:40 AM.
          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X