Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MOH Hero told not to fly American flag (on a flag pole)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOH Hero told not to fly American flag (on a flag pole)

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/ne...01/309031/P10/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_T._Barfoot#cite_note-7

Van T. Barfoot, retired Army Colonel of WWI, Korea, and Vietnam, holder of the Medal of Honor and other medals has been told to remove his flag pole for aesthetic reasons. Flag poles are not against the by-laws but the HOA (Sussex Square homeowners' association) board ruled against him and has threatened legal action if not removed by December 11. They want him to display the flag from a pole attached to the side/front of his house.

Re: MOH Hero told not to fly American flag (on a flag pole)

He fought so the HOA could have the right to makes those rules. Go figure.

Comment

I personally don't like HOAs and think they are the prime example of what is evil about conformity. I don't really care if the guy was a medal of honor winner or some punk 21 year old. Being told how your house/yard/personal property should look is just wrong. As long as it isn't physically interfering with others, bugger off.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Can't believe they bother him without respecting his age, let alone his extreme bravery.

Comment

What kind of Americans are they that they are bothered by a flag pole flying the Stars and Stripes? And even worse, threatening to sue a man who fought so valiantly to protect them over such a minor issue.

Jerks.

Comment

not to mention someone gets paid to make stupid decisions like this.

Comment

id say a flag pole screwed to the side of his house would be uglier then a well placed pole in his front yard.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                id say a flag pole screwed to the side of his house would be uglier then a well placed pole in his front yard.
                I agree. The stupidity of some people still surprises me.

Comment

He is just being told to fly it on a different type of mount, he isn't being told he cannot fly it on a flag pole. It really doesn't matter what he has done in the past.

Homeowner's Associations are basically groups of people that want to be able to dictate their property values since a bad neighbor can drop your value. Of course they end up doing petty things like this....
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Just means he's fined a monthly fee that... goes somewhere into the HOA. I dunno. I'd pay the fine for this dude if the guy lived in my neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                      He is just being told to fly it on a different type of mount, he isn't being told he cannot fly it on a flag pole. It really doesn't matter what he has done in the past.

Homeowner's Associations are basically groups of people that want to be able to dictate their property values since a bad neighbor can drop your value. Of course they end up doing petty things like this....
                      Nobody should be telling MOH recipients what to do, to be honest...

I think it's rather petty...

I suppose the HOA would also get pissy if he properly lit the flag, too?
                      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                        Nobody should be telling MOH recipients what to do, to be honest...

I think it's rather petty...

I suppose the HOA would also get pissy if he properly lit the flag, too?
                        I'm just saying that getting a MoH is not something that is relevant in this situation. Should MoH recipients get to park in handicap stalls at will even if they are not handicapped? No. Should they get to be intoxicated in public? Nope. Should they get to violate zoning ordinances? No. Should they get a special pass on HOA decisions? Nope.

The MoH is not relevant to those things, instead the person should be recognized as a valuable contributor to the nation through military duty through recognition, not special exemptions from regular requirements. Any perks they get from that are up to the perk giver (and within applicable laws). I would fully support the HOA if they chose to give him an exemption from some rule because he is a MoH recipient, but I also support them not factoring that into their decision.

As noted above, I agree on the petty aspect of the HOA, but that is what I would expect from them anyway. I'm sure they have lighting rules too :)
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Ha, was going to hit the +rep button there, but...

"It's still effing stupid" will suffice.
                          Skud

Comment

I had a neighbor who ran up a flag pole with an American flag and, below that, a POWMIA flag.

Predictably, the HOA told him to take it down.

His mature, enlightened, and considered response was to erect a concrete stand with one of those mirrored, colored glass balls on it.

The HOA complained.

He added a pair of concrete lions on either side of his door step.

It's been going on like this for years, now, and he has quite a collection of lawn ornaments laid out under his flag pole, much to the chagrin of the HOA.

I understand why there are Home Owners Associations. i really do. But I have yet to see one that is anything other than a bunch of pain in the ass busy bodies who have nothing better to do with their time than to make other peoples lives difficult.

Comment

Little pink houses for you and me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X