X out Xmas meeting here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• X out Xmas meeting here

I have a severe dislike for Christmas for several reasons I will rant about below. As a person with working mental facilities I see a lot of hypocrisy, shallowness and materialism rampant in the name of this holiday in the US and it has taken over the fall season completely. As an atheist I am offended by the constant bombardment of people's ridiculous belief in the supernatural (where zombie Jesus is believable but Santa is a story) and their expectation of my conformity because I am not Jewish or Muslim so I have 'no reason to not join in because it wouldn't be against my faith'. Screw that, it is still against my morals to participate, just like if I was of a different religion. Not having a religion is an option in religious freedom, jerkwads.

I say this with happy childhood memories of Christmas, as I was raised Christian until I turned 12 and was able to convince my mom to stop making me go to church because I didn't believe any of it and never had. I like the holiday avatars and signatures, they are generally creative and since they are self expression I support them fully. No, I don't consider having Santa as the spokesman any more secular than having the Easter Bunny as the spokesman for Easter. It is still Christmas and Easter is still about the resurrection. If you wanted them to be non-religious go back to seasonal or solstice/equinox as the basis of the holidays.

Ok, now for the rants.

Salvation Army bell ringers drive me nuts. They are forceful with their religion specific wishes of merriment. Let me be bitter damn it! Only doing this one time per year is kind of dumb since people are poor all year long. hot summer days here an be just as lethal as the cold.

I just want to buy some freakin' diapers for my baby, don't get all competitive with where I'm trying to go in the store, I'm not going to buy your child's Barbie dream house which apparently she will die without based on your excitement. Thanks for making it shopping the day after thanksgiving such a horrible experience that it drags down Thanksgiving, which I enjoy. How about teaching your children something about affording what you can by not overspending, and that buying when you are able to instead of waiting for some arbitrary date when everyone else is doing exactly the same thing. It is just like release day madness, and I think it is related. Everyone has to have stuff the morning it is released, just like they have to have presents Christmas morning.

I don't feel guilty about not buying people presents, and I don't want presents myself. I just don't look forward to being treated like a jerk for not going along with everyone else and their goal of buying useless stuff instead of buying something for themselves. this is why I always decline white elephant gifts at work, I'm not stingy, I just see it as pointless. You know what would be better? Buying myself something with half of what I spend on Christmas and donating the rest to charity. John the homeless bum is going to appreciate three months worth of canned food more than kids are going to enjoy the toy they got for a whole month before moving onto something else. Of course giving someone a note that says you donated the money to charity comes off as rude, because people are greedy.

Did you know that the US economy survives because of all the crap people buy for Christmas? So much useless crap. Why are their car commercials where people buy cars for Christmas? What regular person would give a gift like that? If it was a surprise, what if the person doesn't like it? Hell, I was going to buy an item for my family and a relative wanted to buy it for us for Christmas. Since the wife agreed I now have to wait to get it, they are buying a different model than the one I had picked so I don't even know if it will do what I want it to do. I mentioned a computer game that has multiplayer and came out in late November when talking to family at Thanksgiving. I found out that one of them bought it for me and so I can either spend 50 bucks to buy it now so I can play and then feign surprise and remember to never mention it or wait and not have anyone to play with. If I didn't have to buy a game in return (I am forced to by the wife) I could just spend the money I would spend on them to buy it now, but since I have to blow money on gifts I don't have the 50 bucks right now. Some games are released prematurely to get holiday sales. Thanks for ruining game release schedules too!

I hate government sponsored religious activities in the US. The people who put them on would have a fit if any non-Christian group had an event get funded. I get to hear "We are a Christian nation" or "We were founded by Christians". No we weren't, we were founded by deists who had an aversion to Christianity because of people with attitudes like yours. I don't want to participate in the holiday celebrations you stole from the heathens.

I appreciate that you want to give to others this time of year. Why only this time of year? Last chance for taxes?

Well, I hope this gets it out of my system so I don't make any rude comments in happy holiday celebration threads. Feel free to get your frustrations out here!
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: X out Xmas meeting here

The only part of your rant that I have a problem with is this:
    Originally posted by snooggums
    Salvation Army bell ringers drive me nuts. They are forceful with their religion specific wishes of merriment. Let me be bitter damn it! Only doing this one time per year is kind of dumb since people are poor all year long. hot summer days here an be just as lethal as the cold.
    who cares if they are being forceful with their religiously-backed well-wishing? they are collecting money for a proven charity. this isnt one of those places that says "pay just a dollar a day and you feed starving kids in Turkmenistan". What they collect, they actually put right back into the charity, every cent, and those people ringing the bells are volunteers, not paid, just standing out in the cold and being annoyed by the bell they ring just as much as everyone else, except they do it for HOURS.

and of course hot summer days are just as deadly as cold winter days, but people are generally less charitable and giving during those hot summer days. it's marketing, just like anything else. you should buy into that, snoogs, seeing as your viewpoint is about how wrong the greed of consumers and corporations is this time of year. at least the salvation army is smart enough to capitalize on that greed that people so disguise as "good will" during this time of year in order to fund something with a genuinely good cause.

so sure, I understand your rant, and I also harbor some similar feelings on the subject, but dont bash people who are trying to do something actually good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
      who cares if they are being forceful with their religiously-backed well-wishing?
      Me. They stand in front of every basic store (grocery, pharmacy, department), so I cannot avoid them when doing my basic shopping for everyday items. For weeks they are there, wishing me a happy their holiday. While their charity is beneficial and their timing is great for most people to give, the annoyance is independent of their beneficial nature or effectiveness. I would be less annoyed by an angry pit bull foaming at the mouth on a chain barking me as I go in the store than those stupid bells, and while they are a christian organization I don't need to be reminded of their holiday when I want to buy some diapers. I don't doubt the same people who think Christmas is so great that they are happy to see the bell ringers in my state would boycott a store that had a Muslim charity wishing a happy whatever their holy day is to everyone that came in.

Yes they are effective in helping people and I donate to them outside the holidays. I would be less annoyed if they simply asked for money instead of wishing me a Merry Christmas and used a bell with a less annoying pitch.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I love Christmas. Especially with kids but even without them. But I never go shopping during that time so there you go.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Keep the "Christ" in Christmas - A nice little sign outside a Church I attend from time to time.

Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I'm an atheist and I love Christmas - especially the mainstream and materialistic part of it. it's fun. :)

Comment

You know how right wingers respond to Glen Beck? Pounding on the desk and jumping up and down? Well, that's how I was responding to Snoogum's post. I think I need a new desk. :D
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Man, I haven't seen anyone recognize the religious part of Christmas for years. It's a materialistic opportunity to buy a ton of presents for everyone you know. I think you're ranting about something nobody really cares about anymore except the hardcore religious, Snoog. ;P

Big agreement with Ferris' post about the rant against the Salvation Army, despite your understandable annoyance at their bell ringing.

EDIT: Through top-secret government sources, I have obtained a picture of Snoogums taken on December 25th of last year.

Comment

Image here by fixing URL (they're blocking the referral):

http ://www.cedmagic.com/featured/christmas-carol/1983-mickey-humbug-scrooge.jpg

I have plenty of religious friends who are into the religious part of Christmas.

The free market advocate in me likes the "materialist opportunism" but I hate that the public are such lemmings to fall for it.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                    As an atheist I am offended by the constant bombardment of people's ridiculous belief in the supernatural (where zombie Jesus is believable but Santa is a story) and their expectation of my conformity because I am not Jewish or Muslim so I have 'no reason to not join in because it wouldn't be against my faith'. Screw that, it is still against my morals to participate, just like if I was of a different religion. Not having a religion is an option in religious freedom, jerkwads.
                    Zombie Jesus. Thats a cute nickname. Do you have any more insulting remarks about Muhammad or any other religious figures?

It never ceases to amaze me how some secular athiests are so angry and downright hateful against any form of religion or religious traditions such as Christmas. They like to advocate tolerance for many other groups in society, such as homosexuals, but love to preach intolerance for religion in general. Sure, you could say that Christians are intolerant for many groups, and you would be correct. But two wrongs don't make a right.
                    The Salvation Army is a great charity. All across the country they have A.R.C.'s or Adult Rehabilitation Centers who help people with drug addictions free of charge. One of my best friends worked as an intake counselor for the SA for many years, and they do an excellent work in my opinion.

And the winner of the Academy Award for his outstanding portrayal of the Grinch in the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas goes to Snoogums. Congratulations! Its well deserved.
                    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJhNidkT-3U[/media]
                    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                      Zombie Jesus. Thats a cute nickname. Do you have any more insulting remarks about Muhammad or any other religious figures?
                      Sure do, but since they are not involved with Christmas they aren't relevant. FYI, that quote comes from a very clever show called Futurama where Christmas is called Xmas (they make fun of Fry's funny archaic name for the holiday). Jesus rose from the dead, zombies rise from the dead, it is a funny comparison.

It never ceases to amaze me how some secular athiests are so angry and downright hateful against any form of religion or religious traditions such as Christmas. They like to advocate tolerance for many other groups in society, such as homosexuals, but love to preach intolerance for religion in general. Sure, you could say that Christians are intolerant for many groups, and you would be correct. But two wrongs don't make a right.
                      Making fun of a religion is not intolerance. Bitching about how another group does something is not intolerance. Intolerance is actively hindering another group.

When I make a thread like this and take digs at a religion, but I take no action to interfere with their practices I am being tolerant. I'm not being accepting or supportive, I am tolerating their existence, while voicing dislike.

Religions actively denying others rights because they oppose something is intolerance. Denying gay equal rights is intolerance. Opposing interracial marriage by passing laws (a past religious issue in the US) is intolerance.

I can not like religion, but be tolerant by not stopping people from practicing it. I do admit to being intolerant in some areas, I am intolerant of child molestation, rape and murder.

The Salvation Army is a great charity. All across the country they have A.R.C.'s or Adult Rehabilitation Centers who help people with drug addictions free of charge. One of my best friends worked as an intake counselor for the SA for many years, and they do an excellent work in my opinion.

And the winner of the Academy Award for his outstanding portrayal of the Grinch in the movie How the Grinch Stole Christmas goes to Snoogums. Congratulations! Its well deserved.
                      [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJhNidkT-3U[/media]
                      If they cured cancer for free but stood outside stores and kicked everyone in the shin each time they wanted to buy a some food would that be ok just because they do some good? They are still annoying, no matter what good they do.

I'll make sure to come and take a crap in the Christmas threads too, thanks for being a shining example of being unable to accept someone disliking your holiday by posting about how I'm wrong, even intolerant, for not liking it and voicing that opinion.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I'll make sure to come and take a crap in the Christmas threads too, thanks for being a shining example of being unable to accept someone disliking your holiday by posting about how I'm wrong, even intolerant, for not liking it and voicing that opinion.
                        Sure thing. Anytime I can help out, let me know.
                        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                          The free market advocate in me likes the "materialist opportunism" but I hate that the public are such lemmings to fall for it.
                          I think you would be surprised to know how many people are, in fact, not acting as lemmings. Instead they participate knowing full well what they are doing. They even like the whole thing.

The giving and the getting is very fun stuff for them. Groups of people getting together wearing nice clothes surrounded by pretty decorations and eating lots of food.
                          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Oh snooggums, calm down, have some eggnog and enjoy the lights.

The story of Jesus is a pretty good story to have a holiday about. So is St. Nick and winter solstice and all the other legends, fantasies and happenings that make up Christmas and other winter celebrations.

Figure that this time of year was the beginning of the end for many people not to long ago and having any reason to celebrate is good.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                              I'm an atheist and I love Christmas - especially the mainstream and materialistic part of it. it's fun. :)
                              Ditto. My family's xmas celebrations were always pretty secular. My grandfather always said grace at our big christmas eve dinner, but, other than that, and a whole bunch of "merry christmas" and "season's greetings" being thrown around, there wasn't very much of a religious aspect to it. But it was the one time of the year that my mom's extended family always got together. It was great sitting down to dinner with 50-60 family members and feeling the warmth that comes from sharing a fantastic meal with people you love. The egg nog and mistletoe and the plum pudding and hard sauce. Man, those are christmas memories that I'll never forget... I still call back to California on xmas eve to check in with everyone when they're getting ready for dinner.

Heck, most educated christians know that there isn't much christian history behind the holiday. It was hijacked from the pagan celebrants...
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X