Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is time for us to fight back!!!

http://gizmodo.com/5429742/its-time-...heater-talkers

I wish I had it in me to actually do the snatch and grab of the cell phone. The only time I really said anything out loud was when I went to see "The Flags of our Fathers" at an Urban Movie theater and certain people were talking and laughing throughout the entire movie. I finally had enough and said some things that I maybe shouldn't have said, but when certain individuals thought the movie was about the Gulf War. I said out loud to them "Had you stayed in school you would know what battle and what war this was about." I promptly walked out, those individuals actually were quite, I went to the manager complained about the movie, got my money back plus refreshment money and walked out never returning to that theater again.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: It is time for us to fight back!!!

What do you mean by 'urban'?

I've got my money back on a couple of movies because the management wouldn't do anything about talkers, I've also yelled at high school kids who wouldn't shut up but the real problem is that it only takes a few jerks to ruin it for everyone, just like everything else. Instead, I simply choose not to go to the theater in the evenings anymore and there is rarely a movie I want to see in the theater anyway, if I do I bet on a matinee for a quieter, more respectful crowd.

I also disagree with several of the sections. No, you don't have a right to steal someone's cell phone because they are annoying. Yes, getting a refill on popcorn is acceptable. In a public situation a few interruptions are expected, that is part of the experience, the only people that ruin a movie are the ones who are continually distracting, and I agree with the public shaming by a group 'shhh' being the best approach.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Even before I quit going to movie theaters (due to Alamo Draft House's business practices), I would generally only go on "off-days" and wouldn't go to a premiere unless it had "Star Wars" in the title.

Comment

Lately I’ve been helping a friend go to movies who is wheelchair bound. His only choice of seats is up front in the wheelchair. On the plus side most of noise (and other) problems are behind us. On the negative side the first row of seats weren’t meant to be used – too close to see all the screen, stiff neck (with headache) from looking up, and too loud.

Being rude to those who are rude already doesn’t work. If complaining to the manager doesn’t work, go over his head to the district manager. A buddy of mine, who was a theater manager in Howard Beach, had to listen to a 20 minute tirade for each and every complaint the got to the district manager desk. Also remember to point out that people steal movies on cell phone cameras. Twitter is the new public relations tool, tweet about you unhappy movie experience and why.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakaleel View Post
          Being rude to those who are rude already doesn’t work. If complaining to the manager doesn’t work, go over his head to the district manager. A buddy of mine, who was a theater manager in Howard Beach, had to listen to a 20 minute tirade for each and every complaint the got to the district manager desk. Also remember to point out that people steal movies on cell phone cameras. Twitter is the new public relations tool, tweet about you unhappy movie experience and why.
          Pointing out that someone is being rude is not being rude. Shushing someone who should be quiet is not rude.

Complaining to the manager means you have to take time away from the movie to get the issue resolved. The manager would rather have seats filled by chit chatting teenagers than the few adults who complain about it, so a 20 minute tirade does nothing but vent steam since the issue is this simple:

"There is someone in the theater that is extremely distracting."
          "I'll do something about it." or "I won't do anything about it"

In either case if there is no immediate resolution then the manager doesn't care and won't do anything later either. Ranting about it won't matter if they don't respond right away.

People don't steal with camera phones, the theater still has the movie to show at the next showing even if they record with the cameras. If they are openly making a recording that could infringe copyright if they shared it at a later time the management should be doing something about it anyway, even if they aren't annoying other people.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
            Pointing out that someone is being rude is not being rude. Shushing someone who should be quiet is not rude.
            I was referring to the article:
            I know I'm coming off rude already.

everyone around them should stand, point and loudly ask them to leave (with liberal use of expletives). It'll be a painful, distracting experience, but chances are, it won't be needed again.

Any cellphone pulled from a pocket during a movie—most probably a Sidekick—that's glowing in the corner of the entire audience's eye is now communal property. It can and should be yanked from the offender's hand and chucked across the room to break against the nearest hard surface. The offender's head is one such potential surface.

Adults who are offending any of the above rules in ways not directly resulting from or related to a child's actions are fair game for fair punishment.

Then tripping them on the way back is totally Kosher.
            Shushing or a “Please be quiet” are OK, but adding to the noise and distraction are not.

Complaining to the manager means you have to take time away from the movie to get the issue resolved. The manager would rather have seats filled by chit chatting teenagers than the few adults who complain about it, so a 20 minute tirade does nothing but vent steam since the issue is this simple:

"There is someone in the theater that is extremely distracting."
            "I'll do something about it." or "I won't do anything about it"

In either case if there is no immediate resolution then the manager doesn't care and won't do anything later either. Ranting about it won't matter if they don't respond right away.
            It depends on the level of distraction rising above your level of enjoyment. It’s up to you to complain or not.
            Most of the time, complaints result in an usher with a flashlight to keep the peace.

The tirade was not customer to manager but district manager to theater manager regarding customer complaints that he failed to address and managed to reach the district manager. An example was a young couple who repeatable claimed they didn’t like the movie, theater was too loud, soda was flat, snacks tasted bad, etc… and wanted a refund. After the third time he refused and they complained to said district manager. After that they watched for free (they paid and then got a refund) and all my friend could do was grimace.

People don't steal with camera phones, the theater still has the movie to show at the next showing even if they record with the cameras. If they are openly making a recording that could infringe copyright if they shared it at a later time the management should be doing something about it anyway, even if they aren't annoying other people.
            http://www.mpaa.org/press_releases/t...07%20final.pdf

While I’m not a fan of the MPAA, they regard cells as a recording device.

Increased security and surveillance for the summer blockbuster season in movie theaters nationwide
            and diligent theater employees and alert movie patrons led to the arrests of five suspects
            who used camcorders and cell phone cameras to steal the film, or portions of it, in
            California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois and New York.
            “These arrests serve as a reminder to potential movie thieves that whether you use a
            camcorder or a cell phone, stealing movies off the silver screen is a crime and you will be
            arrested and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law,” said Dan Glickman, Chairman and
            CEO of the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA).

Comment

Movie theaters have noisy teenagers, lethargic staff, 5000% markup on everything, seats that have been farted in 50,000 times, the whole place is covered in slimy popcorn oil, smells like a French whorehouse, the never ending crinkling of candy wrappers, theater by my house charges $3 for parking, they force you to watch commercials, people behind you kicking your seat, most movies suck that lure you in with a good trailer and what's that vaseline crap they put on the floor? God help me if I drop something, I just leave it there. I'm no going to fight for this. I surrender. If I had to put up with all this crap I would be hollering at the screen too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakaleel View Post
                http://www.mpaa.org/press_releases/t...07%20final.pdf

While I’m not a fan of the MPAA, they regard cells as a recording device.
                Recording devices don't steal, just like taking a picture of someone doesn't steal their soul. Copyright infringement is not stealing, no matter who says that it is, it is copyright infringement.

Copyright infringement is to stealing as yelling at someone is to stabbing them.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Recording devices don't steal, just like taking a picture of someone doesn't steal their soul. Copyright infringement is not stealing, no matter who says that it is, it is copyright infringement.

Copyright infringement is to stealing as yelling at someone is to stabbing them.
                  So intellectual property isn't really property?
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                    So intellectual property isn't really property?
                    It doesn't matter whether it is 'real' or not.

Stealing is the act of removing property from another person's possession.
                    When you steal a steak, the victim no longer has a steak.

Copyright infringement is making unauthorized copies of an item. This does not require removal of the item from someone's possession. The following is US specific.

If I steal a DVD from a store, I have stolen a DVD as the store no longer has the physical DVD to sell to someone else. If a friend comes over and I and make a copy of it I have infringed copyright, but I did not steal it since the friend still has the DVD.

If I stole the DVD from the store I could be arrested and possibly put in jail. When I infringe copyright the copyright holder can sue me and possibly make me pay them money but I will not go to jail, even if I distribute it on the internet. If I made physical copies and sold them there is a possibility I could face criminal prosecution for counterfeit goods if I tried to pass them off as originals, but I still haven't stolen anything from anyone. All I have done is make copies of a copyrighted movie.

Two completely different things. Copyright infringement on recently made works is still wrong because it undercuts the reason for copyright, but it isn't stealing.
                    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Ripping someones cell phone from their hands as they are talking on the phone during a movie is the last resort, there are plenty of other ways to go about asking someone to shut the hell up and get off the phone, plus before movies begin they ask people to turn off their cell phones. However, if someone being bluntly arrogant and doesn't want to get off the phone/talking loud not caring about anyone else except themselves and in the process annoying the F out of everyone who paid to see the movie without hearing someone talk on the cell phone and after being asked multiple times to get off the phone or leave the theater to talk to their friend/loved one etc (because lets face it, if it was an emergency the person would leave the theater to talk to someone) then I am all for taking the cell phone from the person and shutting it off/removing the battery.

Breaking it, now I wouldn't do that, but I don't have a problem with taking it from their hands shutting it off and removing the battery and giving the phone back to them.

Then again if someone cuts me off on the road I have no problem giving them the finger.

I guess when it comes to watching movies in theaters my patience runs low, and it is amazing at how many people in this world have no common sense when it comes to courtesy.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

You would get shot if you tried those shenanigans in TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                          You would get shot if you tried those shenanigans in TX.
                          I haven't had the chance to get my passport renewed so I won't be going to Texas anytime soon.
                          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                          NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                            I haven't had the chance to get my passport renewed so I won't be going to Texas anytime soon.
                            Safer that way.

Comment

Check out this thread for discussions of movie piracy:

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...ty-thread.html
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X