X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Failed airliner bombing

Some interesting tidbits.

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/12/2...-common-sense/

Fox News interviewed Isaac Yeffet, the former head of El Al airlines, explains why Umar Abdulmutallab would never have made it onto one of El Alís flights.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...-abdulmutallab

Postings at the Islamic Forum website appear to give more information about the failed bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab. Below are a selection of the posts attributed to him.
    http://www.gawaher.com/index.php?sho...&#entry1211029
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Failed airliner bombing

Apparently some suicide bomber passed through several security checkpoints with a bomb in his rectum:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S30i47H845o[/media]

This was not targeted at an airliner but at some Saudi prince. He successfully detonated the bomb via cell phone, killing himself, but failed to kill his target.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab's father warned the US about his son's intentions:
      Mr Obama said he wanted to know why a warning weeks ago from Mr Abdulmutallab's father did not lead to the accused being placed on a no-fly list.

"We need to learn from this episode and act quickly to fix flaws in the system," Mr Obama said.

There was a longer article with more detail from the father but I cannot find it. Obvious display of how it is all a bunch of security theater.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

We are never, ever, ever going to be completely safe. Never. Give up on that. All the crap the TSA is doing is only for show.

Individuals are going to slip through any name list or whatever triggers you put in. Even if you do they will resort to brute force if they are really determined to damage or upset the status quo.

Not using the bathroom for the last hour of the flight? That is going to protect us how?

Trying to be safer is getting us nothing and costing us much. Both in dollars and general mental well being.

I really hate the culture of complete safety we are creating, even though I can understand it.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Heres what I love about the whole situation:
          Security system in place has a moment of epic fail. Instead of analyzing what the hell went wrong with the existing system, they put NEW rules into place, which they're having to make alterations to after less than a week because there are huge enforcement issues (like the no standing up for the last hour of a flight thing).

And then theres the thing with the dad. If someone's dad comes to the US government and says that their son is planning an imminent terrorist attack on something, they need to take the stuff seriously, not let it get put in a stack on someone's desk at the CIA for 5 FREAKING WEEKS. Someone, or a bunch of people, need to lose their jobs over this.

Comment

Clearly a person who's father reported as a potential threat is someone that should be paid attention to instead of 80 year old cancer patients.

Nothing the TSA does makes flying safer except the things that were done before, like x-rays on luggage and paying attention to people's responses. All the wands, 2nd checks, removal of shoes and no liquids BS is a farce, as shown by yet another foiled incident.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
              Someone, or a bunch of people, need to lose their jobs over this.
              This is civil service. That will never happen. At most, they'll get moved to somewhere less noticable.

There's a NYC building where teachers who can't be trusted around children are kept, smoking and reading newspapers, because they're un-firable.

If this were most private industries, failures would be culled. (Unless you're "too big to fail"; then you get a bail-out.) But government programs never "fail". If they're not doing their job, it must be because of inadequate funding. Just throw more money at it, and add a new program, too.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                There's a NYC building where teachers who can't be trusted around children are kept, smoking and reading newspapers, because they're un-firable.
                Source please.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I listened to a NPR "This American Life" about that teacher purgatory. It is actually just a room in the board of education building. Really interesting.

Show 350 called "Human Resources"
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The places are called "rubber rooms".

http://www.google.com/search?q=nyc+teacher+rubber+room

According to one story, about 1% of NYC teachers, almost 800 of 80,000, are in rubber rooms at any given time.

I wonder how many private businesses have "rubber rooms"? My small company would go under fast if it had to keep idle people around for long periods. I guess if you're big enough to have 1% on such leave, you can afford it.

Comment

Well, if they got to watch TV while stuck there (they are noted as being there during their review so they are simply going there instead of being on paid administrative leave) people would complain even more. Think about all the cops that get put on administrative leave after a shooting while they look into the issue. Same thing except the teachers have to show up there, most likely to make sure they aren't doing anything else during their assigned work hours.

It looks like the real problem is that the process for evaluating the concerns takes too long. Sure sounds more like prison than hanging out in the teacher's lounge from the first article on the link, and it isn't 'unfirable' teachers, it is teachers who may be fired.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

It's already hard enough to fire public school teachers even without the "rubber rooms." Tenure for primary and secondary education positions makes no sense. The point of tenure is to help guarantee academic freedom. That's just not necessary for primary and secondary educators. And the teacher's union is way too powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                          It's already hard enough to fire public school teachers even without the "rubber rooms." Tenure for primary and secondary education positions makes no sense. The point of tenure is to help guarantee academic freedom. That's just not necessary for primary and secondary educators. And the teacher's union is way too powerful.
                          While I think tenure as a permanent fixture doesn't work anyway, the idea that teachers can't get fired on a whim is a good one in my opinion. There were plenty of excellent teachers that would have been fired for teaching education instead of some vocal parent's religious beliefs if it was too easy to fire one of them, and primary and secondary educators are the most likely to be found 'controversial' due to parent's expectations.

The rubber rooms aren't for tenured teachers in new York anyway, they are for teachers who are going through a review of allegations. There is no indication in the NYT article that they are there because of tenure or other status indefinitely, just that it can take years to resolve issues in some cases. I think it is wrong to fire them until their issues are resolved myself no matter what their tenure or union status.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I will say I just flew through London Heathrow to Washington Dulles and security was really ramped up. Everyone's carry on luggage was hand searched, and everyone was patted down. It was a big difference from the same flight, pre-Christmas.

Comment

The reason that it is hard to fire a public school teacher in NYC is because NYC public school teachers automatically receive tenure after 3 years on the job. Tenure guarantees them their job for life unless they commit some kind of egregious act, like assaulting or molesting a kid. So there are legions of highly incompetent teachers - people that thought they'd go in to education because "they loved children" but who just aren't cut out for the job and are now being paid high salaries - that get moved around from school to school and to the rubber rooms in NYC because you can't fire them. It's pretty clear that the rubber rooms are designed to get teachers to quit and a place for principals to get teachers out of their school without technically firing them.

Primary and secondary educators these days are probably the least likely to be found controversial, since almost all of them follow fixed curriculum. In any case, I'm not sure why you think that I am suggesting that teachers should be able to be fired on a whim is a good one. Clearly there needs to be due cause. And there needs to not be automatic tenure. No tenure doesn't mean you can fire anyone at will. In any case, why would a principal fire a good teacher? Good teachers teach well and their kids score higher on standardized exams, which is good for the school.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...1fa_fact_brill

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X