Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russia targets Apophis

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_asteroid_encounter

Well this is certainly interesting. Russia might try to alter the asteroid trajectory, but isn't there a chance that it could knock it closer to Earth's path? It sounds like potential for another space race, because I'm sure there are plenty of countries whom would love to be theoretically known as "the nation that saved Earth."

Re: Russia targets Apophis

Isn’t this playing Russian roulette (pun intended) for real?

NASA had put the chances that Apophis could hit Earth in 2036 as 1-in-45,000. In October, after researchers recalculated the asteroid's path, the agency changed its estimate to 1-in-250,000.

NASA said another close encounter in 2068 will involve a 1-in-330,000 chance of impact.

"It wasn't anything to worry about before. Now it's even less so," said Steve Chesley, an astronomer with the Near Earth Object Program at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Comment

That's a pretty small percentage, how about we do something when it's closer to hit.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

But if they manage to do it, who will run TG?

Oh, wait, wrong Apophis. ;)

Comment

And here I was expecting some "In Soviet Russia, Apophis runs you!" type of deal...

| |

Comment

I heard about this on the radio yesterday, and the interviewee expressed the concern that changing the orbit to make it pass further away on this pass might make it approach closer on a future pass, increasing the odds of collision.

Now you might think that deferring the risk is a good thing, but suppose then that some event kills our tech base for a few centuries and we lose space capability for the next pass? Such an event might be the eruption of Yellowstone, or a tsunami from a Canary Islands landslide. Or even a comet strike from deep space, where we'd have much less warning.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

2012 approaches..
              |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
              ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse