Police mount cameras on officers' heads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police mount cameras on officers' heads

For all the LEO's out there, a few small parts of the full article...

SAN JOSE, Calif. - Grainy cell phone images are often used against cops accused of using excessive violence. Now, officers are being armed with their own cameras.

The so-called head cameras are the latest technology to come from TASER International, Inc., makers of the stun guns popular with law enforcement
    The device resembles a Bluetooth earpiece and is attached by a band that runs around the back of the officer's head.

It can be connected to an on-and-off button on the officer's chest, and from there to a video screen on a holster. In San Jose, officers are required to switch on the cameras for even routine investigations, such as vehicle stops.
    The AXON camera already has proven its worth in the only other police department that has tested it so far.

Prosecutors cleared a Fort Smith, Ark. officer of any wrongdoing in the fatal shooting Nov. 11 of a man suspected of threatening his wife with a handgun.

Officer Brandon Davis was wearing an AXON camera when he confronted Eric Wayne Berry. In the video released to the media, the officer's gun is drawn as he repeatedly tells Berry, who authorities say was armed, to drop his weapon before opening fire.

While noting there were several witnesses to the incident, Sebastian County prosecutor Dan Shue said in a letter clearing Davis that the video and audio enabled him to "observe what happened with complete objectivity."

"Any evidence that we got about what had taken place is what we're looking for," said Joseph Self, chief deputy prosecutor in Shue's office. "We're in the search for the truth here..."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34620212...ce-innovation/
    The cost of such a system is a little steep at $5700 each for a three year contract. But like the 'dash cam' that has proven it's worth over time, a system like this could also prove invaluable to officers.

Thoughts?

Re: Police mount cameras on officers' heads

Anything that adds a tiny modicum of oversight and accountability to LEOs is a good thing.
    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
      Anything that adds a tiny modicum of oversight and accountability to LEOs is a good thing.
      Yes, I tend to agree. But whats funny is that the cameras are made by Taser International. And the stun gun taser device itself, manufactured of course by Taser International, has caused an extreme amount of scrutiny by citizens and activist groups against law enforcement. So what does Taser do? They develop a camera that apeases both sides of the argument. From a law enforcement prespective it provides what they feel would be vindication in many of the instances that they are accused of wrong doing, not just instances involving tasers. As the incident is recorded and can serve as evidence that they have a tuff job to do when dealing with criminals. For police watchdog groups it serves as more accountability as every incident is recorded and they would hope that it would tend to keep cops more honest. Its a win-win situation for Taser International as they corner the market in not only non-leathal weapons for law enforcement but also the cameras that will record the arrests and appease everyone. Its pure marketing genious actually, design and sell the controversial weapon that cops love to abuse and the public hates, then sell the cameras to record the controversial weapon being used. Everyone is happy, especially Taser International as they seem to 'have the cake and eat it too'.
      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Line from the Movie "Speed":

Howard Payne: Interactive TV, Jack! Wave of the future - ha ha ha, huh?
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
        Level I HazMat Technician
        NYS EMT-B
        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

These cameras have many uses. I think the main reason they want them is to trap suspects into incriminating themselves. I plead the fifth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
            These cameras have many uses. I think the main reason they want them is to trap suspects into incriminating themselves. I plead the fifth.
            There was a thread here a few months ago in which those from LEO backgrounds counseled us not to speak at all to law enforcement. The only thing you can do is harm yourself.

I'm wondering if these cameras will be made available to civilians. I foresee a day when all of us will have cameras going all the time. Like time lapse security cameras, we can erase older stuff and write over it until we get something worth saving.

I recall reading a story about a guy with a false eye in which he installed a camera for covert recording. I'd love to have a setup like that. Max Headroom, anyone?
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
            X