Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Sheperd jerks blame Japanese ship for their actions

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...eud/index.html

Note in the video that the smaller, more maneuverable catamaran intentionally parks in front of the large, lumbering Japanese vessel. Then they try to blame them the larger ship for 'ramming them'.

I can understand being opposed to whaling, I'm against it for most whale species due to low populations, but these guys are just attention whoring douche bags.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Sea Sheperd jerks blame Japanese ship for their actions

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/asiapc...eud/index.html

Note in the video that the smaller, more maneuverable catamaran intentionally parks in front of the large, lumbering Japanese vessel. Then they try to blame them the larger ship for 'ramming them'.

I can understand being opposed to whaling, I'm against it for most whale species due to low populations, but these guys are just attention whoring douche bags.

Have you ever watched Whale Wars? Pretty much the same stuff. They board a Japanese ship, then get pissed when the Japanese put them in the brig because they are throwing stuff at them and then start claiming they were kidnapped, etc.
    |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Yeah, i saw the video of this on cnn yesterday. it's VERY clear that the sea shepherd morons drove their little batmobile boat in front of the japanese ship. Gotta wonder if they've ever heard of the law of gross tonnage.

Comment

I watched the whale wars south park last night. One of the best episodes in history, I was laughing forever...

:D
        |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

«For the first time ever, Sea Shepherd has three ships on the Japanese fleet and each ship gives the campaign unique abilities. The long range fast ice class Bob Barker will take the lead in harassing the Japanese fleet and will be able to stay on station for three solid months without refueling. The Steve Irwin will be carrying the campaign helicopter and will coordinate all flight activities in addition to blocking loading operations on the Nisshin Maru, the factory ship. The Ady Gil, with twice the speed of the Japanese harpoon vessels, will concentrate on intercepting the fast chaser vessels to block their hunting activities.»

Source.

Duh!

DB

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

This shouldn't have come as a surprise. The 75-mph Ady Gil was commissioned with the sole purpose of intercepting the fast-moving hunter ships, which it clearly did. Yes, the Sea Shepherds parked in front of a Japanese whaling ship, and yes, the whaling ship pretty much ran it over while under power. Sounds like they are both at fault.

I'm with the Sea Shepherds - the Japanese whaling fleet is grossly breaking international law and killing some of the most peaceful, noble mammals on the planet. Sorry, but painting 'RESEARCH' on the side of a whaling ship doesn't make it OK - it just makes you look a stupid murderer instead of just a murderous hunter. I'm with Steve Irwin, Bob Barker and Paul Watson and his whole crew - shut these Japanese bastards down.

The Sea Shepherds are clearly winning this 'war,' too - not only did they add a second ship (The Bob Barker) but they've succeeded in denying all profits to the Japanese whale industry for the past several years. They are bankrupting the Japanese whaling industry, as they damn well should be.

This incident is great press for them and the donations are pouring in. Sayonara Japanese whalers.

Comment

I agree that whaling is a horrible and evil industry, but the Sea Shepherds are a bunch of incompetent buffoons. They really should get some better "pirates." The South Park episode pretty much hit the nail on the head.
              Watch it here:
              http://www.southparkstudios.com/episodes/251888
              5:30 is spot on! Hahaha. "Yeah, we're bad-a$$."
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

So what do you think of this story about dolphins?

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/sandbox...ns-people.html
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post

This incident is great press for them and the donations are pouring in. Sayonara Japanese whalers.
                  Bingo!

Whales are more fashionable than other species I guess.

Someone is reaping benefits out of this, and it ain't the whales.

Donate?

Some numbers.

DB
                  Last edited by Dick Blonov; 01-07-2010, 10:30 PM.

«That looks like a really nice house except for that horrible bathroom.» Donrhos

| |

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                    I'll take an openly 'attention whoring douche bag' any day over a secretive 'douche bag'. Such as corporate lobbyists -wich I'm sure the japanese whaling industry has some of their own- who lurk in the shadows brokering shady deals to further their profit margins. I mostly don't support animal rights groups -and I know very little about the Sea Sheppard group- as they usually take up animal causes before human causes wich are of more importance to me. But, slaughtering innocent wild animals for profit is just morally wrong, especially whales wich are magnificent creatures. I side with the whales on this one -and if the Sea Sheppard group can help to stave off this unneccesary slaughter- than I guess I side with them as well.
                    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                      DB
                      Actually, these guys are the real deal. Their numbers are huge because of what they're doing - operating a fleet of ships off the northern coast of Antarctica - thousands of miles away from any developed port - for months at a time. That takes an enormous amount of money. Watson deserves every penny of his $91,000 salary if he succeeds in dismantling the Japanese whaling economy.

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                        I'll take an openly 'attention whoring douche bag' any day over a secretive 'douche bag'. Such as corporate lobbyists -wich I'm sure the japanese whaling industry has some of their own- who lurk in the shadows brokering shady deals to further their profit margins. I mostly don't support animal rights groups -and I know very little about the Sea Sheppard group- as they usually take up animal causes before human causes wich are of more importance to me. But, slaughtering innocent wild animals for profit is just morally wrong, especially whales wich are magnificent creatures. I side with the whales on this one -and if the Sea Sheppard group can help to stave off this unneccesary slaughter- than I guess I side with them as well.
                        Do you opposed the Orkin man? Because if you are picking and choosing the animals that deserve to be saved on anything other than threat of extinction (or one that would threaten another species' extinction) then your justification is simply opinion.

The Sea Shepard guys are actively assaulting other countries vessels on the open sea, while the Japanese ships are simply using a technicality to get past an international agreement that they aren't even required to follow. The SS guys are like the people who throw paint on people wearing fur, assaulting someone following a legal action that they oppose.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Blonov View Post
                          DB
                          No, these guys are the real deal. Their numbers are huge because of what they're doing - operating a fleet of ships off the northern coast of Antarctica - thousands of miles away from any developed port - for months at a time. That takes an enormous amount of money. Watson deserves every penny of his $91,000 salary if he succeeds in dismantling the Japanese whaling economy.

Comment

The point isnt the activity the japanese are engaging in. Sure, its wrong. I absolutely support activism to stop it. But activism and what the sea shepherd guys are doing are completely different things. It's one thing to promote awareness of an issue and try to stop it through legal and honest means, but putting people's lives in jeopardy (on both sides of the equation) is just stupid.

Picture it like this: you have a guy in your neighborhood who drives a garbage truck. Sure, it goes fast, but it has a slow turning speed and lots of momentum so it cant stop fast. The garbage truck routinely runs a stop sign in your neighborhood, putting kids lives at risk. You dont like this. You have a corvette, which is much lighter, faster, and more maneuverable. Now, wheres the logic in waiting for the garbage truck to be approaching the stop sign at speed and suddenly pulling your corvette in front of him in an attempt to block him? You put your own life at risk, as well as the life of the guy driving the garbage truck, considering the odds are that he wont be able to stop in time.

Thats exactly what happened here. The guys committed a dangerous and irresponsible act by pulling their faster and more maneuverable small craft in front of a much larger ship that had no chance to evade a collision. As I pointed out, this is an example of the law of gross tonnage. Greenpeace has tried the same tactic in the past against US Naval vessels, most notoriously against an aircraft carrier in the 1980s in san diego bay. The greenpeace guys expected the carrier to be able to stop, which is obviously impossible, and as a result, a collision occurred and there were several people injured (luckily no fatalities). Guess who was found to be at fault? I'll give you a hint: it wasnt the navy.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post

I'm with the Sea Shepherds - the Japanese whaling fleet is grossly breaking international law and killing some of the most peaceful, noble mammals on the planet.
                              I don't really care one way or the other about whaling, but I had to jump in here for a minute, international "law" doesn't really exist, it's a guideline that can essentially be ignored at a whim unless you agree to abide by the verdict, or you have no choice/are forced to comply with a courts ruling. (Nuremberg is an example of that)

IWC is a voluntary international organisation and is not backed up by treaty. Therefore, the IWC, in essence, is a voluntary organisation which has substantial practical limitations on its authority. First, any member countries are free to simply leave the organisation and declare themselves not bound by it if they so wish. Second, any member state may opt out of any specific IWC regulation by lodging a formal objection to it within 90 days of the regulation coming into force (such provisions are common in international agreements, on the logic that it is preferable to have parties remain within the agreements than opt out altogether). Third, the IWC has no ability to enforce any of its decisions through penalty imposition.
                              Please point out to me where a "law" was broken since this is where the "ban" on whaling has come from.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X