Your (local) government at work

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your (local) government at work

An interesting site full of horror stories of home owners harassed by local government. (Unless the home owner is a bank holding a foreclosure, of course. They somehow get special immunity from this kind of thing.)

http://faceoffmovement.blogspot.com/
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Your (local) government at work

Makes me want to live on an island somewhere far away from government bureaucracy.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
      Makes me want to live on an island somewhere far away from government bureaucracy.
      First you have to buy the island. Second secede from that nation.

It's my dream to one day do it.

Comment

Frankly to me that site seems largely filled with people blaming the government either for their own stupidity, or problems they would encounter anywhere. The first story seems to be a guy with a rut of bad luck, and not much in the way of foresight. The second person dealt with some stupid charges from a private company, whoopty doo, I just got new cable and Verizon suggested I pay them 75 dollars for setting up every extra computer connected to the network. That would have been 4 or 5 computers past the one included, so 300-375, for clicking maybe four buttons to connect to a wireless hotspot? It sucks when one HAS to pay these things, but they happen everywhere.

Yes there are plenty of stupid "Aggressive Code Enforcement" things, my family has dealt with a deal of them in our summer rental business, but most of them can be solved by some research, and knowing what one actually has to do.

Comment

Garage Sale Scofflaws Face Jail
          http://radio.woai.com/cc-common/news...rticle=6801516

What are you in for? People who hold 'illegal garage sales' could face hard time, under a warrant roundup set for the entire region early next month, 1200 WOAI news reports.

Several code compliance violations which have resulted in tickets which have not been paid will result in arrest and imprisonment starting March 5 as the warrant roundup, which usually involves people who have ignored speeding tickets, spreads to other offenses, according to Code Compliance Director David Garza.
          Remember, follow the money:

Cracking down on warrants is a method more and more cities are using to try to make up for slumping sales and property tax revenue during the recession.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            This is so outrageous, it's like the post I made about taco trucks, where a woman who was a street vendor did 45 days in jail for serving bacon wrapped hot dogs. The overly punitive nature of our legal system has a way of creating generations of new criminals, and these types of so-called criminal violations have no victim except the state. When I clicked the link and saw the photo of the police holding there little press conference, it only reinforced my opinion that it's US against THEM. Meaning, the average citizen against an ever more powerful government and their agents, who wield arbitrary power on a whim.

Take this example: Your an unemployed -because you lost your job and can't find another one because of the current economic situation- homeowner and wish to have a garage sale to help with moving expenses because your losing your home to bank forclosure. Local police show up and write you a citation for having an illegal garage sale, but you can't pay the fine because you don't have the money to do so. You might have more important things on your mind like feeding, clothing, and housing your family. The court issues a warrant for your arrest, you subsequently end up in jail even furthering your problems. Thanks America for being the most punitive, most petty, most incarcerated country in the world. We have roughly 5% of the worlds population, but nearly 25% of the worlds prisoners.
            |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

This has been the way or as long as I can remember. Even before that my father was arrested back in mid 60s for not paying a traffic ticket.

I had a warrant for my arrest several years ago because I forgot to pay a parking ticket.

What are they supposed to do if you don't follow the law. Just ignore it? If we can't enforce the law there is no law.

Of course if you don't like the law that is another issue entirely.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Gringo's right in that the original citation being minor and escalating to jail time is appropriate for crimes (no civil disagreements like copyright). I had a warrant out for a $2 parking ticket that had escalated to a whole $12 after fees. Sure, it would have been a process and release and a court date but I think it is appropriate escalation.

Now jail time as the first option for an initial code violation such as a garage sale? That would be ridiculous.
                |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                  Gringo's right in that the original citation being minor and escalating to jail time is appropriate for crimes (no civil disagreements like copyright). I had a warrant out for a $2 parking ticket that had escalated to a whole $12 after fees. Sure, it would have been a process and release and a court date but I think it is appropriate escalation.

Now jail time as the first option for an initial code violation such as a garage sale? That would be ridiculous.
                  Agreed completely, with the addition that notification of citation should be required before an arrest warrant can be issued.

There are some toll roads around Dallas that don't accept cash. You either have a toll tag that you've signed up for, or your license plate is scanned and a more expensive toll is billed to the owner of your vehicle. I don't have such a toll tag, and haven't been mailed any tolls, but have used these types of toll roads several times. I'm just waiting for the po-po to knock on my door...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Hilliard Woman Refuses To Paint Over Garage Mural

County pulls plug on free coffee, doughnuts at Camarillo store

Now the Government wants competence tests before you can be a dog owner

TN may lift ban on fish tanks in barbershops

Cash-strapped LA going after unlicensed dogs

Comment

Apparently this is what TN is worried that barbers might do with their fish:

State outlaws fish pedicures

Comment

The garage Mural is awesome, the zoning is crap and the populace should easily be able to grant an exception. The codes are clearly there to avoid hot pink and neon green houses, not to stop someone from creating a work of art.
                        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

If one wants to live in a Stepford housing tract with a fancy shining Lexus in each driveway and only tasteful houses, full of rich owners who can afford to send their broken cars somewhere else to be fixed, why would one buy in a discount neighborhood? If you want fancy, pay for it!

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                            Agreed completely, with the addition that notification of citation should be required before an arrest warrant can be issued.

There are some toll roads around Dallas that don't accept cash. You either have a toll tag that you've signed up for, or your license plate is scanned and a more expensive toll is billed to the owner of your vehicle. I don't have such a toll tag, and haven't been mailed any tolls, but have used these types of toll roads several times. I'm just waiting for the po-po to knock on my door...
                            Don't quote me on this but I think its handled like the red light cameras in the area, Meaning its a civil matter and you can't be held criminal liable for it. If that makes sense?

Comment

State Trying To Tax Hotels For 'Free' Breakfasts
                              http://www.newschannel5.com/Global/story.asp?S=12101067

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - The so-called complimentary breakfasts at many hotels in Tennessee have stirred the appetite of state revenue officials.

The state wants to tax the lodging businesses for the food they offer as part of free breakfasts that are included in their room rate.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X