Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British move to a kinder, gentler boot camp

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-approach.html

Ex-recruiting sergeant Fred Burden, vice-chairman of the National Malaya and Borneo Veterans' Association UK, said: 'The Army is getting too soft on recruits.

'The British Army has been the finest in the world for years, so what is the point of changing now? If you don't shout orders at recruits there's a risk they won't concentrate.'

The overhaul came after a series of investigations revealed unacceptable levels of bullying in the Armed Forces.
    Lieutenant Colonel Matt Fensom, Commanding Officer at the ASLS, said there were 'limitations' to traditional training techniques.

He said: 'If you are telling soldiers what to do at every stage, a typical command style, what happens when that individual giving the orders isn't there? You can get paralysis. We don't want soldiers to be robots.

'We need them to think for themselves. This is about getting the best out of recruits.'
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: British move to a kinder, gentler boot camp

But you do want soldiers to be robots...

Comment

Seems the UK is trying to destroy its military from within. Any move towards pussifying your military's training will only create weak-minded soldiers. Adversity builds teamwork, mental toughness, and fortitude. New recruits, especially, NEED that constant guidance. The military is a different world with different needs and demands. The quickest way to a new soldier stepping on his crank and doing something retarded is the absence of leadership and mentorship.

To be blunt, sometimes new recruits need a swift kick in the ass to help them see the light.

Comment

What a terrible terrible terrible TERRIBLE move.
        You need to hammer the discipline in early but encourage independent thought so that when the CO isn't there, you don't get the 'paralysis' they're on about.

You start pussifying the military then you're only going to be training pussies.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
          Seems the UK is trying to destroy its military from within. Any move towards pussifying your military's training will only create weak-minded soldiers. Adversity builds teamwork, mental toughness, and fortitude. New recruits, especially, NEED that constant guidance. The military is a different world with different needs and demands. The quickest way to a new soldier stepping on his crank and doing something retarded is the absence of leadership and mentorship.

To be blunt, sometimes new recruits need a swift kick in the ass to help them see the light.
          After I got out of boot camp I spent the day with a couple old squids. These two guys went through boot camp during WWII. They talked about how easy boot camp was today vs their time. (This was back in 1987).

They had stories about how they where beat by their CCs with fire hoses. How they where forced to go without food for a day or two if they screwed up. How some guys had to march for 10 hours straight because they screwed up the formations.

Yet somehow the US armed forces have become and have remain the strongest and most capable in the world.

I don't think being especially tough on those in boot camp make the overall military better or tougher. There is so much more to it.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
            But you do want soldiers to be robots...
            No, you want instant and willing obedience to orders, combined with the ability to interpret a commander's intent on a changing battlefield and the spirit to exercise some good ol' Yankee ingenuity.

As has been said, a military career needs to prepare a soldier for the moment when there is nobody to give the orders except himself.

A robot can not do this.

Yet.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              No, you want instant and willing obedience to valid and legal orders, combined with the ability to interpret a commander's intent on a changing battlefield and the spirit to exercise some good ol' Yankee ingenuity.

As has been said, a military career needs to prepare a soldier for the moment when there is nobody to give the orders except himself.

A robot can not do this.

Yet.
              I added some text in bold to correct the statement. Yes, soldiers should instantly follow good orders, even if their purpose or effectiveness is in doubt. Total obedience to orders is what leads to the robot mentality and the inability to think on their own, as if they can't tell good orders from bad, they won't be able to make good decisions when they are without command.

How severe boot camp is doesn't actually affect how well they respond to orders, only how well they respond to orders under stress. Yelling doesn't inspire stress unless the soldier is afraid of yelling. Strict punishments and rewards for responses to orders does.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X