X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video games are the "road to hell"

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/18/ve...leads-childre/
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100118...amessonychavez

CARACAS (AFP) Sony's PlayStation video game console is "poison" and leads children down the capitalist "road to hell," Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez said.

Chavez, in his weekly radio-TV show "Alo Presidente," called on Venezuelan manufacturers to make "educational" toys and dolls with indigenous peoples' features to replace capitalistic counterparts like the Barbie doll that "have nothing to do with our culture."

In expanding on his dislike of western toys and games -- he already slammed Nintendo for promoting "selfishness, individualism and violence," Chavez Sunday took on the world's top selling game console, Sony's PlayStation.

"Those games they call 'PlayStation' are poison. Some games teach you to kill. They once put my face on a game, 'you've got to find Chavez to kill him.'"
    I think the game companies ought to use these quotes on their boxes as a selling point!
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Video games are the "road to hell"

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/18/ve...leads-childre/
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100118...amessonychavez

I think the game companies ought to use these quotes on their boxes as a selling point!
    That advertising would probably work great!

To think I once was quite positive towards Chavez! Absolute power corrupts the mind absolutely.

Comment

Well ladies and gents, we're all screwed. :)

Comment

This sounds familiar from somewhere. Didn't this "road to hell" thing come up in a PTA meeting or something?
        Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
        Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Where is this Chavez killing game? And do you get extra points if you hit Sean Penn and Danny Glover with the same bullet?
          |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Makes sense, I guess. After all, video games were invented by the devil.

Oops. I mean, Lord Voldermort. He's the guy.
            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

[citation needed]
              |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Comment

The woman makes good points, and I agree with about 50% of what she said.

But I think Hugo Chavez invented video games so he could have another thing to point at and say 'LOOK! Bad capitalism!'

;)

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                  Makes sense, I guess. After all, video games were invented by the devil.

Oops. I mean, Lord Voldermort. He's the guy.
                  LOLOLOL!

I do know quite a few people who are against video games for slightly varying reasons, but none because of the capitalistic values in them!

That second article link says you can get FIVE YEARS imprisonment for selling video games now in Venezuela. Wow.

sigpic
                  "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
                  something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

I wonder how WoW fares in Venezuela? After all, it has a complicated market system built in. I spend a lot of my game time trading rather than fighting, by crafting stuff to sell to other players on the in-game auction house.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

From the second mom article:

Meanwhile, my kids will still be playing outside with their balls and bats, exercising their muscles and having fun with other kids, since I won’t buy a video game.
                      So why is her muscular tanned kid superior to us pale mouse potatoes?

One claim is that video games reduce one's ability to "succeed" in life. Presumably that means earn a huge income to support spawning lots of kids. So what if that's not your objective in life? Not everyone lusts after having the traditional family and the little house in the suburbs. Yep, I'm a traitor to my DNA for not doing my best to keep the species going. So what?

Comment

Yeah, that mom's opinions were kind of scary. If the article was to be taken seriously I would have to find fault with almost all of it. But I particularly hated this sentence "The difference is, in all that reading, I was actually learning stuff about the world, in a way that kids today never will." As if video games don't teach anything positive. As if gamers don't (and never will!) read!

sigpic
                        "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying

Comment

So what have you learned from video games?

I see no need to justify any form of recreation as "educational". It's good enough that it makes me happy, and that I'm not coercing anyone while enjoying it. (I can't say "hurting", as many forms of recreation cause injuries to both the players and the bystanders. I'll bet her athletic kid has gotten and inflicted his share of injuries.)

Comment

Actually, almost all of the video games I started on were very educational. My school had the old Apples with games like the Oregon Trail, Word/Number munchers, Operation Neptune (!), typing games, etc. Sure, I play shoot-em-ups now, but even they have abstract educational value (half the thing about them is playing mind games with your enemy, IMO). It's not that I wouldn't play them otherwise. I, too, don't think they have to be in any wise educational to be of use.

Take fictional books, for instance. They don't always teach one about the real world. Sometimes their content is antithetical to reality, yet fantasy-based stories are in most of the reading books used in schools. :P

sigpic

Comment

Haha yes Oregon Trail. Game was fun way back when. I can't remember ever getting my people to their location though..... needs more water.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X