Why Worry About The Economy When I Can Worry About This

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Worry About The Economy When I Can Worry About This

Seriously? Why do people worry about all the small things. I found this article and almost started swearing in front of the patients I had sitting in my waiting room. Why is it that everything thats important and directly affects peoples lives never makes the news, but crap like this is in the headlines for weeks?
    A California school district has added a new book to the controversial list of literature that is considered unfit for young eyes.

It's the dictionary.

The Golden State's Menifee Union School District has yanked all copies of Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary from its shelves and is investigating the classic American text for containing "age-inappropriate" words.
    Really?...I mean REALLY? Whats next? Banning store recipts because little johnny got $0.69 back for the gum he bought?

/end rant

full article here at the TG fav news site "FOX" lol.<---from an earlier thread.Article

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Why Worry About The Economy When I Can Worry About This

That is funny. California takes their politically correct stuff way too seriously.

Maybe instead of the Collegiate version there is a 'PG-13' or 'G' version for the different schools in the district ;)
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

they have a "G" rated version sadly. Complete with 35000 words unlike its evil dirty word boasting big brother that has round abouts 225,000 definitions, and over 165,000 entries. Can we say smaller vocabulary kids? lol

Po·ke·mon / ˈpōkiˌmän/
      • n. trademark a video game, card game, or other toy featuring certain Japanese cartoon characters.
      ∎ a colorful toy model of such a character.
      Yup, that will help little billy become a CEO one day...../facepalm

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Between those fools and the fools that want to teach intelligent design.

Should create another branch for those idiots. Call it "School for those that really don't want to learn but instead be coddled by the sweet embrace of ignorant fairy tales and information sanitized by those who know better than everybody else."
        Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM.
        I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It's California, does that really surprise you? :madsmile:

Comment

I had a teacher who censored books in high school.
            The class was AP English III, my junior year. The school district allowed the teachers to assign their own books, but the students had to pay for them. Not that big of a deal. One of our books was "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving (you may remember that they tried to make it into a movie, but it was so horrid that john irving refused to let them put his name on it. the movie was then renamed "simon birch"). When we got the books, we discovered that she had redacted a full chapter of the book with black sharpie and stapled all the pages together.

Well, being one that aligns myself with free speech, the fact that the class that I was in a class that was earning me college credit, and the fact that I PAID for the god damn book, I went on a crusade.

Phase I: I was a senior editorial writer for the school newspaper. We had a top notch newspaper that wasnt only distributed at my high school, but was also carried in probably 20 local businesses around town. I wrote an editorial crucifying her. It got rave reviews and boosted my popularity at school about 4000% because I just bashed the crap out of a teacher.

Phase II: I went before the school board and informed them of the situation. I provided them evidence of the damage to the books, I provided them the receipt for my payment of the book. I provided them with another copy of the book to see what had been redacted. It was a passage of the book that disagreed with the teacher's religious beliefs and she felt it was "inappropriate" to be taught in schools. I explained that kids taking collegiate courses deserve to be treated at collegiate students, that being mature enough to make their own decisions as to what is and what isnt appropriate, especially where books they had purchased themselves were concerned. They agreed and action was taken to correct the problem, both on the teacher's part, but also reimbursing every student in the class for the cost of the book.

I dont deal with censorship well, especially if the books in question are being taught to students old enough to know the difference.

Comment

Oh my! Think of the countless children who have had access to unabridged dictionaries... *shudders*

This censorship is a doubleplusgood idea. Can we maybe get the firemen to start burning the explicit dictionaries?
              Last edited by SilentSunshine; 01-28-2010, 03:14 PM. Reason: more ...

sigpic
              "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
              something which is not everything it should be." — Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Originally posted by SilentSunshine View Post
                Can we maybe get the firemen to start burning the explicit dictionaries?
                No, because I would be willing to bet the same lady that didnt like the dictionary to begin with would protest that we are causing global warming due to all the chemicals that are being released by the burning dirty words.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
                  It's California, does that really surprise you? :madsmile:
                  Haha. Not really. Ironically, I'd bet they hand out condoms to the children in sex-ed, too. I can't believe they pulled the dictionaries. That's ridiculous.
                  "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                    No, because I would be willing to bet the same lady that didnt like the dictionary to begin with would protest that we are causing global warming due to all the chemicals that are being released by the burning dirty words.
                    I think most progressive/liberal types, the types that accept global warming as fact, are not generally supportive of censorship.

Most people I know that accept global warming are the kind that want books like "I have Two Daddys".
                    I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

You might be thinking, "oh that's California - crazy liberals," but the school district is located in California's 49th congressional district, which has a Cook Partisan Voting Index of R+10. That stands out in California - it's moderately Republican. For some comparison, Alaska is R+13. Texas is R+8. Montana is R+7. So this district is about as Rebpulican leaning as Alaska, Taxas, and Montana - slightly more than the latter two even!

At the extremes, the Texan 13th congressional district - the most Republican leaning - is R+29. New York is D+12. Both New York 15th and 16th districts are D+41.

But this is at least some evidence to back up El_Gringo's thought that it's not likely the liberal types that supported this measure. More likely it's the conservative type.

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                        Bwuh? Typically, the people that scream about sex education being bad for the children aren't the ones complaining about global warming...
                        I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Related :
                          http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-an...a/?TrackID=DCF

There’s only so much stupid that a girl can handle and I shot way over my monthly allotment reading this one news story: The Diary of a Young Girl: The Definitive Edition, by Anne Frank, was pulled off the shelves in Culpepper County Public Schools in Virginia after a parent complained about “the sexual nature of the vagina passage,” according to the Culpepper Star-Exponent.

Comment

My question is, why are books being targeted? Kids these days see and hear so much worse from movies, TV, and video games. I know video games have been and still are one of the main targets, but still. Of all the things in the world BOOKS, the things that make you use your brain, are in the crosshairs now........are people really that dense?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Why do you assume only books are targeted by the community there? It's just a story about what the school district has decided to do. I doubt they have the power to ban TV, movies, and video games at home and such. The story doesn't say anything about whether parents in the district are perfectly fine with movies, TV, and video games or not.

Moreover, those other things also make you use your brain too...

You really should be questioning the issue - it's incredulous that they could somehow get this measure through. How did that happen?

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X