J.D. Salinger rememberance thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.D. Salinger rememberance thread.

I hope to hell that when I do die somebody has the sense to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetary. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody.

I was about half in love with her by the time we sat
    down. That's the thing about girls. Every time they do something
    pretty... you fall half in love with them, and then you never know
    where the hell you are.

etc etc.

Best writer of the 20th century in my book.

Re: J.D. Salinger rememberance thread.

I will never forgive him for misuse of the unco poet's work.

Well, maybe I can, now that he's died.

January 27, 2010... perhaps there will eventually be books laid on his grave.

sigpic
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
    something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Quick, throw him in the river.

The Catcher in The Rye was a good book, I should read it in remembrance of him.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I just read Catcher last semester, loved the book. What a loss.
        |TG| 16note

Steam: 16note, Xbox Live: thefifthbeetle

Comment

I haven't read any of his works due to simply choosing other books at the time that I was reading a lot of books. I do respect his opinions and hope to read some of his stuff sometime in the near future.

Are there other books or writings of his other than Catcher in the Rye that you guys would recommend?
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I thought The Catcher in the Rye was a terrible book. Hated it in High School and hated it even more when I gave it another chance a few years ago. I do not see what all the hubbub was about.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder228 View Post
              I thought The Catcher in the Rye was a terrible book. Hated it in High School and hated it even more when I gave it another chance a few years ago. I do not see what all the hubbub was about.
              Most likely you had trouble identifying with the character's point of view. I can't stand The Great Gatsby because I don't care about rich, spoiled idiots. I loved Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut because of it's disjointed and unfocused narrative and I could sympathize with the protagonist's apparent confusion between reality and imagination.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                Most likely you had trouble identifying with the character's point of view. I can't stand The Great Gatsby because I don't care about rich, spoiled idiots. I loved Slaughterhouse Five by Vonnegut because of it's disjointed and unfocused narrative and I could sympathize with the protagonist's apparent confusion between reality and imagination.
                I was the only person out of my class who liked Slaughterhouse Five. The quirkiness gave me a few laughs.

Catcher in Rye never really grew on me. My dad loved it though, he said you could take almost any sentence out of that book and make it into a quote.
                |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
                  My dad loved it though, he said you could take almost any sentence out of that book and make it into a quote.
                  Funny that is exactly how I describe it sometimes to friends. I suppose Snooggums is right. The book probably apeals to people that have a certain weltschmerz, some self-defeating narcissism, ambitions in life that differ from the standard ones,.... Well books have been written trying to word that I bet.

To me what speaks to me is just the way he thinks. Both the writer and the lead characters, which are different flavours of the same. I other words is the way he looks at the world. He is always looking at life as a stage-play, judging their performances an how convincing they are. 'Phonies' he calls the bad ones.

I also love how he merges the negative and the positive, iconically when he says 'it just kills me'. This happens a lot in the book and usually when he is deeply moved, or really loves something.

I could go on for long. Perhaps what puzzles me the most, is why this stupid book about a guy who runs away from school for 3 days in which nothing happens, seems to appeal so much to me. Perhaps I am as much unable to understand that, as you are unable to understand the absence of appeal. Whatever it is, its a funny book in that way, and oh... it kills me :).

Comment

I thought of making a pilgrimage to his grave. Given Salinger's character it will probably be unmarked.

Comment

One of the joys of reading well written literature is coming to empathize with characters that are really different than yourself or that you may not have cared for previously. In the case of The Great Gatsby, you may not care about rich, spoiled idiots but the novel isn't really about empathizing or identifying with the rich, spoiled idiots. It was Fitzgerald's critique of what he saw as the rich, materialistic, immoral culture of the roaring 20s. You're supposed to think "these guys are messed up." I can't say I ever really enjoyed reading it, but after coming to understand the message that the author was trying to convey, I've come to appreciate it.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X