Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roeder guilty of first degree murder of Dr Tiller, abortion provider

http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/28/...ex.html?hpt=T2

A Kansas jury deliberated just 40 minutes before convicting an anti-abortion activist of first-degree murder in the fatal shooting of an abortion provider.

The jury found Scott Roeder, 51, guilty of gunning down Dr. George Tiller, who operated a clinic in Wichita where late-term abortions were performed. Roeder, 51, faces life in prison when he is sentenced on March 9.

Tiller's family said the jury reached a "just" verdict.

"At this time we hope that George can be remembered for his legacy of service to women, the help he provided for those who needed it and the love and happiness he provided us as a husband, father and grandfather," the family said in a written statement.

A day earlier, Roeder told jurors he had shot Tiller in the foyer of Reformation Lutheran Church as Sunday services began. Testifying as his only defense witness, he said he believed he had to kill Tiller to save lives. He said he had no regrets.

"There was nothing being done, and the legal process had been exhausted, and these babies were dying every day," Roeder said. "I felt that if someone did not do something, he was going to continue."
    Relevant Kansas law regarding 3rd term abortions, edited:
    65-6721
    Chapter 65.--PUBLIC HEALTH
    Article 67.--ABORTION

65-6721. Prohibition against partial birth abortion on viable fetus, exceptions; partial birth abortion, defined; report of determination; criminal penalties. (a) No person shall perform or induce a partial birth abortion on a viable fetus unless such person is a physician and has a documented referral from another physician not legally or financially affiliated with the physician performing or inducing the abortion and both physicians determine: (1) The abortion is necessary to preserve the life of the pregnant woman; or (2) a continuation of the pregnancy will cause a substantial and irreversible impairment of a major physical or mental function of the pregnant woman.
    Full text: http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-...=/65-6721.html

This statute is much longer and determines when an abortion is valid:
    (4) the probable gestational age of the fetus at the time the abortion is to be performed and that Kansas law requires the following: "No person shall perform or induce an abortion when the fetus is viable unless such person is a physician and has a documented referral from another physician not financially associated with the physician performing or inducing the abortion and both physicians determine that: (1) The abortion is necessary to preserve the life of the pregnant woman; or (2) the fetus is affected by a severe or life-threatening deformity or abnormality."[*] If the child is born alive, the attending physician has the legal obligation to take all reasonable steps necessary to maintain the life and health of the child;
    full text: http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-...=/65-6709.html

Per Kansas law Tiller was not performing abortions of viable fetuses unless the mother's health was in danger.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Roeder guilty of first degree murder of Dr Tiller, abortion provider

Is he still eligible for domestic terrorism charges should the federal government chose to prosecute that?

Still, good on Kansas.
    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
      Is he still eligible for domestic terrorism charges should the federal government chose to prosecute that?

Still, good on Kansas.
      I'm not sure of the overlap between this and the terrorism charges, but I don't there was any indication that the murder was intended to 'terrorize' anyone else, just to kill a particular doctor.

Added note: Sentence is still pending and even if he gets the death penalty for premeditated murder Kansas hasn't put anyone to death since the Supreme court reinstated it's allowance in 1976.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I'm glad to see that justice was served. This was a text book example of pre-meditated murder by a sick deranged person. The public is much better off with that type of person behind bars.
        Last edited by Spyder228; 01-30-2010, 10:40 AM.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

Recall that anti-abortionists equate abortion to infanticide:

http://iowaindependent.com/26958/abo...-brave-actions
          Leach, who publishes a newsletter that advocates the doctrine of justifiable homicide in the case of abortion doctors, said the defense should have been allowed since “Scott Roeder had no quarrel with George Tiller other than his commission of infanticide.”

“God indicated what he thought the trial was about by arranging for it to begin on the 37th Anniversary of Roe v. Wade,” Leach said. “God is relevant, and what he commands is legal, though the whole world opines otherwise.”

Before the trial began, Leach said it was disingenuous to argue that using the necessity defense in this case would lead to more violence. The fear of violence from anti-abortion activists would end abortion, thus end the need for violence to stop them, Leach argued.

“Let’s get real here: the 60,000 notches on Tiller’s scalpel of whom he boasted on his Web site constitute ‘violence.’ Anything that reduces abortion reduces ‘violence,’” he said. “But my vision is to reduce all the violence: against babies and against abortionists. Abortionists will be unemployed, but safe”
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Yes? I also recall that they're crazy. And, even if they think that, it isn't that legally, so why should courts care?
            I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
              Yes? I also recall that they're crazy. And, even if they think that, it isn't that legally, so why should courts care?
              Whether something is legal and whether it's "right" need not be the same thing. Consider an abolitionist who kills a slaver trying to recover his "property".

I'm of the opinion that abortion is infanticide, and that infanticide is sometimes unavoidable.
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The doc shouldn't have been gunned down though, there are better ways to change things.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Whether something is legal and whether it's "right" need not be the same thing. Consider an abolitionist who kills a slaver trying to recover his "property".

I'm of the opinion that abortion is infanticide, and that infanticide is sometimes unavoidable.
                  Its an idiotic legal defense. Being given a lighter sentence because you really, really thought it needed to be done defeats the point of criminalizing it in the first place. Roeder really thought it needed to be done, he killed a man in cold blood, and he should suffer the legal consequence for doing just that. There is no purpose in a "justifiable homicide" law.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                  X