Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Blair Iraq Inquiry

About the Iraq inquiry

Today Tony Blair was interviewed, and it was a pretty big deal here. Was in and out of the house all day and managed to total perhaps ~ an hour. Very interesting, will watch more when I get time (never), but there's some good summaries here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8486631.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8486052.stm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...iry-key-points

There's been plenty of anti-war protesters, and unhappy families of some of those who died in Iraq were given tickets to the inquiry. Some good background information on the day here. One point I heard him make was that he thought if the invasion had not happened, that perhaps Iran and Iraq would now be having something of a nuclear arms race, as well as attempting to get support from terrorist groups in their mini-Cold War. It's an interesting theory.

Would be interesting to see Bush do the same.
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: Tony Blair Iraq Inquiry

Tony and George save the world.
    [media]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2995/blairbushsonsofdesert12.jpg[/media]

Comment

Sadly I fail to see the point. Labour yet again waste MORE money on an enquiry that will achieve....what? Will people be arrested? Will anything be done? The MP's will continue to sit where they are. I personally think the war was the right course of action, although the excuses used to justify it were wrong. Of more importance should be the current state of the UK military. Gordon Brown has underspent on it for 14 years to the tune of BILLIONS. Now we are overstretched, and tired. He announced yesterday that we would keep the Nuclear deterrent and build the two QE2 class carriers, finally. BUT he only done it to seek votes, as the Conservatives were going to do it anyway. Makes me sick, because the only way he can AFFORD to build the 6 new Subs is by scrapping some frigates, having less anti sub and naval assets to PROTECT the damn deterrent in the first place. Politicians should be made to pay for these stupid decisions, but sadly with the liberal media in the UK the public is usually ignorant, and far to scared to protest in fear of being arrested on some trumped up charge. For those of you who know British history, what I would give for a "We want 8 and we won't wait!" type public protest. But the military is WAY down many peoples list.

Comment

Yh, unfortunately our soldiers are some of the bravest out there in Afghanistan and don't really get the credit or resources they deserve. The mission there right now is way too half-assed, and because we can't contribute much in the way of supplies and technology, the only way we can really contribute is our frontline manpower, which means more and more of our soldiers are getting killed in a war we're not really fighting. I myself was pretty ignorant about this kinda stuff until I started reading the TG Sandbox and how passionate many peple are about their military. This same kind of feeling is definitely no shared in Britain, and while I don't approve of much of the military action, my eyes have been somewhat opened.

As far as the war, I didn't support it because the regime was of little threat (no regime is, other than the ones on our side) and if you want to go on a crusade there were far worse places in the world than Iraq that could have been reduced to piles of rubble. This is without even talking about the thousands of Iraqi civilian and hundreds of British/American soldiers who were always going to be killed.

Politics is just a joke, I now don't pretend to understand it, because 95% of it isn't even seen by most. I only vote for who my dad tells me to vote for, although I don't like David Cameron, he seems pretty slimy. I might give Brown a sympathy vote:icon19:
        Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X