No announcement yet.

Rahm Emanuel calls liberal activists retards...and then apologizes to retards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rahm Emanuel calls liberal activists retards...and then apologizes to retards

Apparently the mentally disabled didn't appreciate the comparison to liberals. :madsmile:

AP
    February 3, 2010 (WASHINGTON) -- President Barack Obama's tart-tongued chief of staff, Rahm Emanuel, has apologized for using the word "retarded" to describe liberal activists whose tactics on health care he questioned.

Emanuel made the apology last week in a phone call to Tim Shriver, CEO of the Special Olympics, the White House said Tuesday.

The apology followed a Wall Street Journal account of a private White House meeting involving liberal groups and administration officials. In it, Emanuel reportedly grew exasperated at plans by some groups to run ads against Democratic lawmakers who were balking at Obama's health overhaul.

"The White House remains committed to addressing the concerns and needs of Americans living with disabilities and recognizes that derogatory remarks demean us all," a White House statement said.

Emanuel's call wasn't the first time Shriver got an Obama administration apology. The president himself telephoned in March after telling Jay Leno on the "Tonight Show" how awful his bowling scores were. "It was like the Special Olympics or something," Obama said.

In a posting on her Facebook page Monday, former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin called on Obama to fire Emanuel. Palin, whose son Trig has Down syndrome, said Emanuel's language was "heartbreaking" and a "slur on all God's children."
    Other links:
    http://www.twincities.com/news/ci_14...nclick_check=1
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/huffpost/201...3_201002020748

Re: Rahm Emanuel calls liberal activists retards...and then apologizes to retards

The apology followed a Wall Street Journal account of a private White House meeting involving liberal groups and administration officials. In it, Emanuel reportedly grew exasperated at plans by some groups to run ads against Democratic lawmakers who were balking at Obama's health overhaul.
    People should not be held to the standards of public discourse when in private settings. If he was making a valid comparison of the person's thought process for running those ads to someone with delayed mental capabilities then he's using the right terminology in a private setting.

In a posting on her Facebook page Monday, former GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin called on Obama to fire Emanuel. Palin, whose son Trig has Down syndrome, said Emanuel's language was "heartbreaking" and a "slur on all God's children."
    Attention whore. Oh no, do I need to apologize to whores?

Obama's Special Olympics comment was out of line because he was in public and disparaged the Special Olympics by mocking their participants. His apology was appropriate, Emanuel didn't need to.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Re: Rahm Emanuel calls liberal activists retards...and then apologizes to retards

You are probably right. I'm pretty sure I've used the term "retarded" as a derogetory in private conversation myself. The amusing part here is that he felt the need to apologize, not to the people he insulted, but to the unlucky side-targets used as comparisons for his insults. So he still doesn't like liberal activists. :)

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        People should not be held to the standards of public discourse when in private settings. If he was making a valid comparison of the person's thought process for running those ads to someone with delayed mental capabilities then he's using the right terminology in a private setting.

Attention whore. Oh no, do I need to apologize to whores?

Obama's Special Olympics comment was out of line because he was in public and disparaged the Special Olympics by mocking their participants. His apology was appropriate, Emanuel didn't need to.
        I agree with everything but the "attention whore" comment. Since when is posting something on your Facebook page being an attention whore? It's not like she wrote a press release and sent it out to all the major media outlets. When the media seeks out stuff like this to put into the public eye, it shouldn't be the authors fault.

JMHO.
        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
          I agree with everything but the "attention whore" comment. Since when is posting something on your Facebook page being an attention whore? It's not like she wrote a press release and sent it out to all the major media outlets. When the media seeks out stuff like this to put into the public eye, it shouldn't be the authors fault.

JMHO.
          If the news hadn't reported on it, the comment is clearly over the top and intended to garner attention. Knowing the media likes reporting her over the top comments means that even if her publicist didn't notify the media (I'm guessing that they do) then it would be likely that they would still report on it anyway. The news is for profit, they didn't include the comment because her opinion was relevant, they included it to garner attention like this little discussion we are having about the non-issue part of the article. Palin is looking for the same attention because if no one payed attention to her she would be as irrelevant as her inclusion in this news article.

Did you read the second linked article by the Huffington Post where Palin wants Ramuel fired for this one comment in a private setting? Yeah, that's soapboxing for attention:
          Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin is calling on President Barack Obama to fire White House Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel over Emanuel's penchant for using profanity and a statement he made that was derogatory of the handicapped. Really.

The 2008 vice presidential candidate put up a Facebook post on Monday evening arguing that Emanuel's offending slur (in which he said that liberal groups thinking of running health care-related ads against Democratic lawmakers were "F---ing retarded") was no less the equivalent of using the "N-word."

Palin presumably seized on this one because of her own experience with the issue -- her youngest child, of course, suffers from Down syndrome. But it's hard to ignore the fact that making hay out of "controversies" like these is her political trademark, regardless of whether there is a personal tie to the matter.
          I read the second article after my original post. I'm not the only one pointing it out.
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

I understand that it's being pointed out. I also understand that people that don't like public figure x will think what they want to think. People tend to seek out information and draw conclusions based on what they want to believe.

I will hold people accountable for their own actions in a heartbeat. But I'm not necessarily going to stomp on someone because they "presumably" did something. It's just too easy to put a negative spin on just about any statement made by anyone and then draw your own conclusions. Unless someone who knows/works with Palin that KNOWS for a fact what her intentions are, I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and pretend that I can read her mind and know what she meant.

Is it possible she's just offended when people call others "retards" because of her own personal situation? Could she simply be very sensitive to this issue? Sure.

Does it appear as though she likes getting attention? Absolutely. Can I claim to know what her intentions are with everything she says or posts? Absolutely not.
            Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

I agree with your statement in general about not being able to know someone's intent in a vacuum. Palin on the other hand has extensive public involvement where it is much easier to see a trend in behavior and thus the foundation to compare grandstanding from an emotional outburst.

Here's a related topic:
              Former Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin is striking back hard at her daughter’s ex-fiance, Levi Johnston, for what she called “mean-spirited, malicious and untrue attacks.”

Palin, and Johnston, who had a child out of wedlock with Palin’s daughter, Bristol, have been in a war of words since Levi and Bristol broke off plans to marry early this year.

Johnston appeared on CBS’ “Early Show” and repeated a charge he made in a recent Vanity Fair interview that Sarah Palin would often refer to her son with Down Syndrome, Trig Palin, as being “retarded.”
              Linky: http://blogs.reuters.com/frontrow/20...levi-johnston/

I'll believe she is seeking attention as much as him, and I'll believe a random guy before her based on her past public performances.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

So Palin is for Politically Correct speech? Good to know.
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

As much as Palin does seem to like attention, I don't think that's what she's going for in this context. Nor is she for generally politically correct speech. But everyone I've ever met who has a special-needs person in their immediate family gets very touchy about how those people are referred to, in a way that the rest of us generally don't and can't quite identify with. So I suspect that this particular event was Palin getting upset due to her own developmentally-challenged family member. She has a disabled child, and therefore gets PC about how you talk about disabled children. But ask her about any other topic and she won't waste time with being PC.

This means that her outrage wasn't feigned or put-on. It was real, but at the same time its not a complaint that most Americans share. Its a minority view for which she happens to genuinely be in that minority.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    She has a disabled child, and therefore gets PC about how you talk about disabled children. But ask her about any other topic and she won't waste time with being PC.
                    Exactly my point. That is the case for all PC speech. It is speech that is design to be as unoffensive as possible to as wide range of people as possible.

Many, especially social conservatives, often say PC is just for those wussy bleeding heart liberals. But use a word they find offensive and get ready to be lambasted.

The difference is that so called liberals accept that other peoples feelings should be taken into account. Many social conservatives think that only their feelings should be taken into account.

That is a pattern I see in much conservative behavior. It is fine to ridicule and hate until it has immediate, personal affect.

It is, or is very close to being, hypocritical.
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

No, PC is saying something is offensive when nobody but the PC freaks are offended. For instance, it's not PC to call someone a "Jew". PC says it should be "Jewish person". But no (or next to none) Jewish person is offended by the word "Jew". Same thing with "Black person". Garbage men might like the sound of "sanitation engineer" better, but guess what, they aren't offended by being called a "trash collector" (they're too busy making just under six figures to be offended...).

Being unoffensive is quite different from being PC.
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                        No, PC is saying something is offensive when nobody but the PC freaks are offended. For instance, it's not PC to call someone a "Jew". PC says it should be "Jewish person". But no (or next to none) Jewish person is offended by the word "Jew". Same thing with "Black person". Garbage men might like the sound of "sanitation engineer" better, but guess what, they aren't offended by being called a "trash collector" (they're too busy making just under six figures to be offended...).

At a time in the not to distant past "retard" was offensive to nobody but the "freaks". It almost always starts out with only a few freaks being offended. Otherwise how would it become so widely used in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          At a time in the not to distant past "retard" was offensive to nobody but the "freaks". It almost always starts out with only a few freaks being offended. Otherwise how would it become so widely used in the first place?
                          Yes, and it was also a word used clinically. But the PC police came and somehow turned it into an insult. What is the difference between the phrase "mentally retarded" and "developmentally challenged" in terms of their meaning? If it means the same thing, why is one OK and the other not?

The problem is when you use the same term as a generic derogatory term. I'm guilty of this. Very guilty. I use the word "gay" as a synonym for "lame" or "stupid" and I dislike that I do. But I grew up with that as a slang term. Even my gay friends use it that way, but I also know some that hate it. Using legit words in an offensive manner is not just going against political correctness, it's going against common decency.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Yes, and it was also a word used clinically. But the PC police came and somehow turned it into an insult. What is the difference between the phrase "mentally retarded" and "developmentally challenged" in terms of their meaning? If it means the same thing, why is one OK and the other not?
                            Probably many reasons why a word goes from ok to bad. One of them is to keep the poor and uneducated in their place.

But I am not really taking a stance on either side of the PC debate in this thread.

My problem are those that demand it when a word or phrase offends them but deride it in other cases.

Comment

I think you are lumping Political Correctness in general with taking PC to the extreme.

on a related note: 'Freaks' are the sideshow staff for carnivals, and has nothing to do with retardation or Political Correctness...
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X