Respect for the law

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respect for the law

When asking people to respect the law and its enforcers, it's important to set a good example.

Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Respect for the law

You're right, it is important to set a good example.

If someone had honestly asked a question, the proper answer would have been to explain how police are exempt from many traffic laws due to their response, or their needed availability for response to emergency calls.

But when a jerk gets in your face with a video camera, the proper way to handle it is exactly the way those police did. Shut down, make no comments, and remain civil.

The guy behind the camera was a joke, and the cops knew it before he even opened his mouth. That guy didn't deserve the time of day.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

But remember, it's not the jerk with the camera one is responding to. It's the huge audience that will see it, and who in ignorance will consider that "shutting down" as cover-up and evidence of abuse of authority, not unlike that of enforcers in Iran who shut down at the sight of video cameras.

It's similar to when one is addressing a hostile provoker on the forum. One doesn't address the provoker, but the lurkers.

One approach is to educate cops on how to do community outreach off-the-cuff when cameras pop up, but one does run the risk of hostile editing. Another is to get the department PR to do its own "video response", which allows them to avoid others editing what they say.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I hear you, but cops aren't always slick talkers. The idea of a Public Affairs officer responding would be great, in fact, it would be an awesome idea for officers to carry around business cards for their public affairs officer to hand out in situations like this.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I'm not a slick talker, myself. If you met me in person, you'd think me aloof or cold, because my brain, at least the part controlling my vocal chords, is pretty slow. I'm perpetually behind the conversation, racing to catch up. The written form obscures this limitation and allows me to be an equal.

Comment

I know exactly how your feel Scratch. Part that bugs me is that it gets worse for me each year.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              I'm not a slick talker, myself. If you met me in person, you'd think me aloof or cold, because my brain, at least the part controlling my vocal chords, is pretty slow. I'm perpetually behind the conversation, racing to catch up. The written form obscures this limitation and allows me to be an equal.
              I have more doubt while writing as I see where I could have made changes, where as in a verbal conversation I can simply sate with confidence and clarify if necessary. The added facial and other non-verbal cues help with conveying sarcasm, irony and confidence in my views.

In writing I can google to verify whether I am correct in my initial thoughts, so between the two I think I am more accurate in writing but more clear in verbal conversation.

I'm not sure how well I would do if put on the spot on camera.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X