X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigabit Connections

Google Plans Ultrafast Internet Broadband

This could be nice.

Imagine paying $20-30/month (or some other reasonable amount) for gigabit connection that is subsidized by advertisements. Would also create competition for the typical broadband suppliers.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Gigabit Connections

In the US we already paid the broadband providers to install the fiber optics to have this years ago. The main block seems to be profit and routing hardware that are the stumbling blocks to having better connections even though gigabit connections for 20-30 dollars a month is clearly possible financially.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

right up until people actually start using that connection, then you get throttled. :(

Comment

Running gigabit to the home is expensive because of the cost of getting the fiber to one's house. You either have to tear up streets or hang it from poles, neither of which is cheap or easy to get permitted by municipalities. (People hate it when you dig up their streets.)
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Do you actually have to have fiber to the home to get gigabit? I thought you could deliver it over copper or cable over modest distances.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
            Running gigabit to the home is expensive because of the cost of getting the fiber to one's house. You either have to tear up streets or hang it from poles, neither of which is cheap or easy to get permitted by municipalities. (People hate it when you dig up their streets.)
            For many years incumbent local exchange carriers would not sell dark fibre to end users, because they believed selling access to this core asset would cannibalise their other, more lucrative services. Incumbent carriers in the US were required to sell dark fibre to competitive local exchange carriers as Unbundled Network Elements (UNE), but they have successfully lobbied to reduce these provisions for existing fibre, and eliminated it completely for new fibre placed for fibre to the premises (FTTP) deployments.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fibre

Sure it's wikipedia, but it is simply a great summary on how improvements are held back because they aren't as profitable as doing it the old way. If they offer fiber at 10/10 MB and requires 100 dollars worth of improvements per home but costs 5 the company less per month and they can simply sell 256kb/6Mb to the same home for the same price on the old infrastructure then they will do the latter because most people wouldn't use the 10/10 right now and companies don't usually look more than a year ahead when doing costs and expenses. They don't want to absorb the upgrade cost now to make more profit in a couple of years.

There's also the large amount of fiber that was installed with government subsidies and with government issues right of ways to upgrade that are simply going unused. Fiber doesn't require burial either, they didn't tear anything up when they installed it in my neighborhood and since municipalities simply decide who gets to offer service in what areas of town there arent any real company costs to hanging other than the physical installation in most locations.
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              Do you actually have to have fiber to the home to get gigabit? I thought you could deliver it over copper or cable over modest distances.
              Fiber to neighborhood, 'copper' to the home. To get gigabit in each home you need a gigabit x number of serviced homes to the next node.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Thanks for the details. I wasn't aware of the way the incumbents had scammed municipalities into locking us out of competition, not unlike what is done with TV cable. It's too bad anti-monopoly laws don't automatically kick in at this level, where the monopoly is real and unbreakable.

I know in the past I've had to scurry to change ILEC providers at companies I've worked at because the local telco drove them out of business with poor service. Just recently (last 2 months) two local companies I deal with had to switch from SpeakEasy to ATT because the phone company kicked SpeakEasy off their media. (SpeakEasy is the server-friendly and Linux-friendly ISP.)
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X