Paypal Scam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal Scam

Watch it guys and girls! I smell a paypal scam :)

Dear valued PayPal® member:

It has come to our attention that your PayPal® account information needs to be
    updated as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to
    reduce the instance of fraud on our website. If you could please take 5-10 minutes
    out of your online experience and update your personal records you will not run into
    any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.
    Please update your records on or before June 2, 2005.

Once you have updated your account records, your PayPal® session will not be
    interrupted and will continue as normal. Go to the link below.
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_login-run

Thank You.
    PayPal® Security Center .

Accounts Management As outlined in our User Agreement, PayPal® will
    periodically send you information about site changes and enhancements.

Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have any questions.
    http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr...rivacy-outside

Funny thing is... I don't even HAVE paypal :D

Re: Paypal Scam

This is a phishing scam. ANY e-mail from ANY company that tells you to follow a link to log in to verify/change or approve any information/orders should be considered suspect. Never click on the provided link to log in to whatever system they are advertising.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Paypal makes more money off of fraud than they do off their regular business. At NO time should you EVER have a bank account attached to a paypal account. Basically, what it comes down to (and I know personally people that this has happened to, not friend of a friend) is that sometimes paypal can, through a bug, run up huge negative numbers in your bank account when you use it. If the bank doesn't catch it as it happens, you are now SoL. Several people have tried suing paypal over having their bank accounts emptied and LOST. The only safe use of paypal is to attach a credit card THAT IS NOT ATTACHED TO YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT, because visa will NOT hold you liable for fraudulent charges. I have had friends have their personal credit history ruined to the point that they can't even get a house loan because of this.
      a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
      Celibacy is not Hereditary.
      Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
      Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
      Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder
        Paypal makes more money off of fraud than they do off their regular business. At NO time should you EVER have a bank account attached to a paypal account. Basically, what it comes down to (and I know personally people that this has happened to, not friend of a friend) is that sometimes paypal can, through a bug, run up huge negative numbers in your bank account when you use it. If the bank doesn't catch it as it happens, you are now SoL. Several people have tried suing paypal over having their bank accounts emptied and LOST. The only safe use of paypal is to attach a credit card THAT IS NOT ATTACHED TO YOUR CHECKING ACCOUNT, because visa will NOT hold you liable for fraudulent charges. I have had friends have their personal credit history ruined to the point that they can't even get a house loan because of this.
        Never heard of such a thing... Why hasn't this made front page news?

If you get an email like this, and it sounds semi-legitimate, open up your favorite web browser yourself, manually type in www.paypal.com and log in to your account. Don't ever click through a link in this type of situation. Ever.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Never heard of such a thing... Why hasn't this made front page news?
          It has, but not nationally, because it doesn't happen to an appreciable number of total users. (remember that 100,000 users is only roughly 1/10th of 1 percent total users on paypal.) Most banks catch the error before it happens, it's mostly the small town banks running outdated software that have this issue. That's just one part of the fraud issues that paypal has. Mostly because Paypal has bugs in the system that users can exploit through their credit card companies that paypal will not stop nor refund for. (because it's being done third party)
          There are also class action lawsuits against paypal for fradulent practices in California Florida and Hawaii, among others.
          And for business owners, or Ebay via Paypal users, Paypal makes tons of money by freezing accounts (unlawfully in some states, is where the CAL's are generated) and keeping interest generated on this money. (They can freeze an account for 180 days)

And do remember when you're dealing with paypal that Paypal is NOT A BANK, and is therefor NOT SUBJECT TO BANKING REGULATIONS.

Have a nice day! :)
          a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
          Celibacy is not Hereditary.
          Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
          Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
          Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

I got this email once, and the best thing is, it was sent to my email address that wasn't linked to my paypal account.

Comment

i have had this exact email about 15 times now, on a supposedly secure email server...

i always email them back from my office or college computer giving user names like,

Username WhatUThink

Password ImStupid

or some rather more vulgar responses...... as im sure you would not want put here.

www.TeamElement.com

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X