The Year is 1994

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Year is 1994

Super Metroid has just been released (I remember this because they actually had "1994" scroll on the screen of the game).

A kid re-lives the dream of playing the original Metroid on his NES.

The world is a better place for all.

::Fade to black::

Queue: 11 years later (Jesus, has it been that long?)

The kid, now a man, find his old cache of Super Nintendo games in the attic. He yearns to relive the days of old, but alas his Super Nintendo is busted.

Then he has a vision, a vision that could only be realized by the illustrious Internet™ (Copyright Al Gore).

"Download an emulator you fool!" comes a voice from the heavens. So the young man did as he was told.

And the world was a better place as he relives his once thought lost past.

Dear God, what the Hell did I smoke today!? Anyways, Super Metroid owns your soul and if you never played it, you haven't actually lived. I just rolled through it in a pokey 5 hours. In addtion, I'm working my way through:

Final Fantasy VI (3 for us American's)
    Secret of Mana
    Breath of Fire
    Legend of Zelda LttP

I've already pwnt Soul Blazer and Act Raiser.

PS: If any of you do decide to go down this long forgetten path, I recommend you spend a measley 5 bucks and pick up a USB joypad, lest Ridley make you his bitch.

Re: The Year is 1994

The scary part is these graphics were literally unheard of on a console. I still remember the feeling playing it, just like when Mario 64 came out.

Oh and for those who are wondering: Yes, this is why I've been gaming a lot less NS and CS lately.

Comment

nes ftw

WS FTP... I'm disappointed. Get Filezilla.
      Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

oh man i own a SNES thats still NM condition and works 100%... second system I got, right after an N64. Then PS1, DC, Xbox, PS2, GCN in that order.. last thing I got was a computer that can run games.

and It's STILL ONLY GOT 512 RAM TFW

Comment

I got an NES as well... I get it out sometimes to play the oldies... Remember how awesome the graphics were on Super Mario 3? :P
          Like this?
          http://www.fatmangames.com/images/re...io3/playlg.jpg

Man I loved some of those games :)

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
            Super Metroid has just been released (I remember this because they actually had "1994" scroll on the screen of the game).

A kid re-lives the dream of playing the original Metroid on his NES.

The world is a better place for all.

::Fade to black::

Queue: 11 years later (Jesus, has it been that long?)

The kid, now a man, find his old cache of Super Nintendo games in the attic. He yearns to relive the days of old, but alas his Super Nintendo is busted.

Then he has a vision, a vision that could only be realized by the illustrious Internet™ (Copyright Al Gore).

"Download an emulator you fool!" comes a voice from the heavens. So the young man did as he was told.

And the world was a better place as he relives his once thought lost past.

Dear God, what the Hell did I smoke today!? Anyways, Super Metroid owns your soul and if you never played it, you haven't actually lived. I just rolled through it in a pokey 5 hours. In addtion, I'm working my way through:

Final Fantasy VI (3 for us American's)
            Secret of Mana
            Breath of Fire
            Legend of Zelda LttP

I've already pwnt Soul Blazer and Act Raiser.

PS: If any of you do decide to go down this long forgetten path, I recommend you spend a measley 5 bucks and pick up a USB joypad, lest Ridley make you his bitch.
            *Tears* That was touching. I know how you feel man those games are classic and will never die.

I have to play FFIII this summer (I have been promising that every summer since I was 8 I think). This year I WILL DO IT! Thx for the inspiration!

Seph Out.

- "Children in the back seat cause accidents, accidents in the back seat cause children."
            - "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

~ SephVal <--> TG-303rd Master Sergeant (MSG) <--> Distinguished Sniper - Class I

~ COD4 Sniper <--> Owner of the Golden Dragunov

Comment

All of those games you listed romp some major arse, anything done by Square, Capcom, Rare, Konami or Nintendo have a 90% chance of making you squeal with glee. I still have access to an SNES and a buttload of games, emulators do make it fun though in that you never have to worry that you might break on of those priceless antiques. Just reading this makes me want to go play Super Punch Out!! again I pwnt that game like no other, here's a challenge for anyone who's played it and wants to see how well they can do: My best time for beating everyone in that game is 45 seconds, some are less than 8 seconds... and I'll tell you the secret for doing it, learn to counterpunch.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyzcrak
                nes ftw
                Already been there with such classics as:
                Final Fantasy
                River City Ransom
                Battletoads
                Legend of Zelda 1 & 2
                and numerous others

Now I've moved onto SNES.
                WS FTP... I'm disappointed. Get Filezilla.
                It's Free
                It works
                It's simple
                It doesn't have a lame-ass name

Final Fantasy 3 is by far the best American FF. It spanks FF7 for all you PS wannabes who picked up the series there.

FF3: Hi, I'm Cyan. The Empire murdered my entire civilization including my wife and child. Now, I'm an empty husk of a man, and revenge is the only thing worth living for. If you care to, you can make me fight my own internal demons (literally), then I'll get this really wicked attack that will pwn that dancing clown in no time.

Seriously, the main badguy in FF3 was a clown, an evil clown. How cool is that?

Now, FF7: Hi, my name is Cloud. I've got spikey hair and carry a 7-foot phallic symbol: ANGST!
                Last edited by TheFeniX; 06-02-2005, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Super Metroid was the sh1t man. I remember coming home from school, and just disppearing into my room to play it for hours on end.

<I think I am going to download an snes emu.. curse you fenix>

Comment

lol I'll never forget what my then 12-year-old sister in law said while trying to identify which "old" Zelda game she was talking about:

"you know... the FIRST Zelda... the SIDE-SCROLLING one..."

I laughed my ass off.
                    Steam Community? Add me. | Free Remote, Encrypted Backup

Darkilla: In short, NS is pretty much really fast chess. With guns. Apophis: I haven't seen anyone say that SM's are better than non-SMs. Nordbomber: This is THE first server I've seen where either side can comeback from out of seemingly nowhere with the right teamwork. en4rcment: I have NEVER experienced the type of gameplay that I have found here. Nightly I am amazed at the personalities and gaming talent. Zephyr: Apophis is clearly a highly sophisticated self-aware AI construct that runs on a highly modified toaster oven in Wyzcrak's basement.

Comment

Mario Cart is the best console game ever.

Comment

I want to play my old Intellivision games... Any hope?

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Yup, there is... 125k+ hopes

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
                          birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

I just beat Super Metroid for the first time a couple months ago. I have a tendancy to wander away from things so I got a total of 7 hours :)

I dunno, FF6's characters were pretty weak next to 7. Cloud may have been the start of a terribly ****ty kind of hero, but at least things happen in 7, and the characters have rich stories along with their own beliefs and mannerisms. They aren't "Generic RPG Character #12: Knight Seeks Revenge for Dead Family Members And Says 'Thou' A Lot".

While you are using the miracles of emulation, you might as well get a patched Dragon Quest 6 and see why DQ is so much more popular than FF in japan.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
                              The scary part is these graphics were literally unheard of on a console.
                              Man, I remember the first time I saw Star Fox. I nearly crapped my pants, and this was the first true "I *have* to get this" game for me.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X