Less than Lethal Weapons

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Less than Lethal Weapons

In light of some discussions here, I decided to catalog everything they reported. Some of it you can buy! Forgive the stilted language, I'm trying to type fast, and it's kinda the same language Discovery Channel used.

Spongeballs: 40mm grenade launcher that bludgeons a person to the ground with heavy nerf balls. Thing is huge and evil looking, like a 6-shooter revolver that shoots beer cans.

Wood wad in shotguns: Used in colonial England against anti-colonists in countries they occupied. Skipped on the ground to hit kneecaps, but if skipped too high deadly. Shroom has a 7-year old tear in his right medial meniscus which he aggrivated Thursday by standing slowly from sitting up position in bed, so this thing makes him wince.

Beanbag shotguns: did you know the original models of these, square ones, sometimes turned into frisbies that were as deadly as a bullet? Newer models are round blobs.

Water Cannons: Continuous and pulse mode.

CS/CN Gas: Crystaline particles carried by aerosol that irritate the respitory system. (Doesn't make you cry). Used to separate aggresive rioters from gawkers and shouters.

Stink Bombs: In research. Hard to find one universal over cultures: e.g. you can repel a German with fish but not a Japanese, and you can repel an African with cinnamon. Practical use may be more of a signal than a really repulsive thing, like a polite non-lingual way to indicate the crowd of an airport to evacuate. Stronger ones may help with looters in large mass riots, put one in a building you have cleared to keep it clear. Lose the merchandise but save the building.

Pepper spray: one deployment I saw was right on a handgun attached just like a tactical flashlight.

Pepper balls: paintballs with OC. http://pepperball.com/ buy some today! CEO of company said it was designed for riots, but 90% of the time used 1v1, e.g. suicide by cop and domestics incidents.

Flashbangs: 4 times the loudness of a shotgun at the muzzle, and lots of candlepower.

Sting grenades: Contains plastic pellets. Lobbed at the few aggressive agitators in riots full of yellers, gawkers, and innocents.

Net Guns: Used now against the mentally disturbed and Jumbo's mom.

Laser Beams: Blind a person at range. Not used, but may be deployed in prisons vs unruly.

Sonic Bullets: In research. Deafening bang at range. They don't go thru walls like NS siege cannons, in fact they are deflected easily to create liabilities.

Airgun: In research. Smoke rings without the smoke, and a lot stronger, enough to knock a person off their feet. Think mega-Airzooka.

Heat Gun: In research. Beam of heat that penetrates 1/16th of an inch into the skin to make the victim feel like they're standing in front of a kiln.

Electrically shock a car.

Spike deployments to neutralize a car.

Flechettes to neutralize large armor.
    -- Shroom
    I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Re: Less than Lethal Weapons

Originally posted by shroompicker
    Heat Gun: In research. Beam of heat that penetrates 1/16th of an inch into the skin to make the victim feel like they're standing in front of a kiln.
    The US Marine Corps has/is testing these in the field. They're basically a microwave antenna that can be aimed at crowds. I would worry about the potential for sterilizing the targets of this thing. 'Course, there's always a risk in using any of the non-lethal tools...

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
      The US Marine Corps has/is testing these in the field. They're basically a microwave antenna that can be aimed at crowds. I would worry about the potential for sterilizing the targets of this thing. 'Course, there's always a risk in using any of the non-lethal tools...
      From the research I've read, it doesn't even penetrate the upper layers of the skin. Microwaves aren't as deadly as people make them out to be. I think they compared getting hit by the "weapon" as the equivalent of standing in front of a running microwave oven for 5 minutes.

Needless to say: that's not a lot of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX
        From the research I've read, it doesn't even penetrate the upper layers of the skin. Microwaves aren't as deadly as people make them out to be. I think they compared getting hit by the "weapon" as the equivalent of standing in front of a running microwave oven for 5 minutes.

Needless to say: that's not a lot of energy.
        That's silly. If I stand in front of my microwave, it doesn't hurt. Standing in the beam of this "microwave gun" causes intense pain. It must be focusing more energy on the target than what is emitted from a microwave oven.

Or, after rereading your statement, are you saying that a dose (say 5 seconds) of this heat gun is similar to 5 minutes in front of the oven? I think your ratio is off, but I see what you're saying.
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by IceCold
          'Course, there's always a risk in using any of the non-lethal tools...
          The beginning of the program had three paragraphs on this. They're not called "non-lethal" anymore, but rather "less than lethal", for exactly that reason. You're just trying not to be like those Mugabe thugs who shoot crowds looting food with 50 cal BMG's.

--
          Shroom
          -- Shroom
          I tried smoking mushrooms once. Couldn't keep the pizza lit.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
          X