X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Contract From America

http://www.thecontract.org/

Click here for the agenda list

How do you feel about this movement? It seems the republican party is gaining traction to take back the drivers seat in the next election. Personally, I view the exclusion of abolishing the Fed and returning to sound money as a ship sinker and a recipe for the continuation of thing as usual since so many of these issues are directly related to our monetary system.
    Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
    Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Re: The Contract From America

I had a buddy of mine jokingly say that he'd vote for sarah palin in 2012 because the world is supposed to end anyway. I argued that I'd rather die a horribly painful death in a natural disaster than die of sheer and utter stupidity.

Comment

I don't see this as a side of the Republican party, instead I see it as people fed up with the Republican party not living up to the topics they are covering. Of course all of these movements talk about the good old days completely unaware that they are chasing a fantasy image of history like the old cowboy movies instead of real history.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        Of course all of these movements talk about the good old days completely unaware that they are chasing a fantasy image of history like the old cowboy movies instead of real history.
        In what ways do you mean? I tend to reference the early-mid period of the nineteenth century as one of the examples of a more limited, and prosperous country. After the civil war we gradually began to transition away from the individualistic philosophies of our constitution towards a more statist, collective philosophy along with the rise of powerful, gov't protected corporate monopolies and banks in the early 20th century.
        Last edited by aeroripper; 03-03-2010, 11:59 PM. Reason: added text

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
          http://www.thecontract.org/

Click here for the agenda list

How do you feel about this movement? It seems the republican party is gaining traction to take back the drivers seat in the next election. Personally, I view the exclusion of abolishing the Fed and returning to sound money as a ship sinker and a recipe for the continuation of thing as usual since so many of these issues are directly related to our monetary system.
          Some of their agenda items seem very Libertarian and Constitution based, but they never once mention America's interventionist foreign policy or the War on Terror. How could you possibly say you are for the Constitution, limited government, and fiscal responsibility and not mention the illegal, immoral, and VERY expensive War on Terrorism. Therefore, they must be written off as just another spin-off of the Republican Party. In the end, when the dust settles from the populist Tea-Party movement, these people will just vote for another neo-con ideologue like Mitt Romney, or worse.

There are no REAL conservatives anymore, sadly they have become a distant memory. Even Ronald Reagan - who was surely not without his many faults - could never support the platform of the modern Republican Party. And, Democrats are NO better, as their policies are almost exactly the same. The Republican leadership has already devised a plan to take all this populist anger, put a bow tie on it, and use it to rally their base and get another round of phony conservatives into power.

Let me pose a question. Where were all these Tea-Party people during the 8 years of Bush policies wich included record deficits, loss of civil liberties, preemptive war, and the expansion of government power? Suddenly, when Obama -not that I support Obama, because I don't - became president, they came pouring out of the woodwork. It makes me wonder about the motivation behind their movement. It's possible that some of them are actually white nationalists or racists and can't stand the idea of having an African-American president. Otherwise, they would not have been absent or silent during the Bush years when the most egregious violations of their agenda/platform were happening.
          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
            Let me pose a question. Where were all these Tea-Party people during the 8 years of Bush policies wich included record deficits, loss of civil liberties, preemptive war, and the expansion of government power?
            Watching Fox News, which is where they heard about the Tea Party movement...
            |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
              Let me pose a question. Where were all these Tea-Party people during the 8 years of Bush policies wich included record deficits, loss of civil liberties, preemptive war, and the expansion of government power?
              Very good question. So many conservative people are now concerned about the way things are going, I think, only because the power has shifted from being labeled "Republican" to being called "Democrat." I tend to think it's party-based rather than racial because most of them want power back in congress, etc. and had no problem with minorities in high positions as long as they were from the GOP (I reference Rice & Powell).

Washington's Farewell Address included this clause I like very much: "... the common and continual mischiefs of the spirit of party are sufficient to make it the interest and duty of a wise people to discourage and restrain it."

I'm not against people getting together locally to discuss current topics, but along with the possible good, I see the possibility for things to be made worse. I don't like seeing Newt Gingrich and Sarah Palin, for example, jumping into the movement and the people of the movement welcoming them. Gingrich is a CFR establishment-Republican. Palin agreed to run nationally with a liberal sham-candidate. There are a multitude of reasons I wouldn't vote for her. If she's the nominee for 2012 we'll have Obama for another term.

And Snooggums - they also heard about it from talk radio. At least in my area radio is a Republican bulwark as much as Fox. I occasionally catch them but don't care for Beck, Hannity or Rush. I do like Michael Savage, though, because he was thoroughly exposing Bush for the last eight years and doesn't tow the party line. I think the other three are Republican party underlings. Just my opinion.

sigpic
              "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
              something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

This is always a trend. There are always people that dont like the way things are going as far as politics is concerned and they are dead set to gather more people to "the cause" to prove they are right. But in the end what does it change? Honestly? All politicians lie, its a proven fact. They only say what they need too in order to get in a postion of power. People getting upset about them "not living up to the topics" will always happen. All of this IMHO, is about personal agendas. Everyone is trying to get what they want out of it instead of getting what is needed. We need politicians to progress this country forward and bring up issues that effect the citizens, not fighting and backdoor dealing to get what they think we need. The same goes for "political movements". They are trying to prove something and its not what is needed.

This is the new "craze". I agree with alot of the things that it mentions, however, a majority of the supporters support it because it is in fact the "new thing". Just look at Pres. Obama. Everyone was in a hurry to support the first black president becaues it was new and exciting or whatever, now most of them are kicking themselves in the rear for it.

People today are to easily influenced by loud energetic speakers. We become hypnotized by catchy slogans and flashy lights.

In the end we will always be back to square one that is the nature of the beast. People can have all the protest marches, political movements, and promises of change that they want, but in the end because of human nature they will end up becoming a self serving figure head in a position of power.

the illegal, immoral, and VERY expensive War on Terrorism
                I think you could have picked a few better words to describe it. Having served in Iraq, I dont like to think my actions in wanting to do so where immoral.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Sure, they'll change it all...

Until they get into power and are just like the last lot.
                  Do or do not, there is no try....
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                    Sure, they'll change it all...

Until they get into power and are just like the last lot.
                    exactly my point. right now they are saying everything that we want to hear. once they get what they need they can focus on their own agendas.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Politicians should be more like Jesse Ventura. Short term, stick to their principals that got them elected, speak freely even if they are are over analayzed for it and don't play appeasement games on issues that can't be compromised on. Sure, his recent conspiracy beliefs are incorrect and his show about them sucks, but his political time was a good example for how it should be done.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by Dredge View Post
                        OT but:
                        @mp40x

I think you could have picked a few better words to describe it. Having served in Iraq, I dont like to think my actions in wanting to do so where immoral.
                        I undertsand. Almost my entire family has served in the US Armed Forces including my father, uncles, and grandfather. Even right now my nephew is in US Navy recruit training at Great Lakes. The US military always serves with distinction, regardless of how poor the mission is. And, I never meant to discredit your service in any way and I apologize if you took it that way. But, I won't apologize for calling the War on Terror immoral, because, in my opinion it conflicts with the principles of our democracy and founders, among other various reasons. Also, I realize that making statements like that will not get me a fan club of veterans, but that's how I feel.
                        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Understood. No hard feelings. Its very rare these days for people to actually speak their minds or form their own opinions on anything. Which IMO leads to all of the trouble that we have in most aspects of life in the US, especially the political side of the house. Too many people are swayed in their beliefs by smooth talking characters these days. For once I would like to get a politician like Jesse Ventura (as mentioned earlier) who has the intestinal fortitude to be like "youre an Idiot, now get out of my office". Maybe one day, but I fear that we will have to hit rock bottom before that happens.

That being said, +1 for being able to make up your own damn mind about things without being coached by FOX news or shady politicians :D

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

mp40x:
                            ...n my opinion it conflicts with the principles of our constitutional republic and founders, among other various reasons.
                            Fixed. The founding fathers were weary of democracy. Many of you have mentioned that fact that politicians often say anything to get elected then do their own thing. How do we get around this trend? Solutions:

1) Look at the record of this person, has he spoke on on behalf of freedom issues beyond just this election cycle? If he has a voting record, is it consistent with these principles? When his convictions are challenged, does he stand by them and defend them, or does he change some of these things if it appears the polls aren't going his way? What are his principles, specifically? Which does he cast aside temporarily to help him get elected?

In the end we will always be back to square one that is the nature of the beast. People can have all the protest marches, political movements, and promises of change that they want, but in the end because of human nature they will end up becoming a self serving figure head in a position of power.
                            2) This fact is why you should not trust ANY man with power that is able to use the coercion of law to fit his agenda (no matter how well intentioned). Government is not eloquent, charitable, or positive. It is FORCE. We must hold them down with the chains of the constitution to safeguard our liberties. This was the lesson and the philosophical underpinning that is embodied in our constitution, and why it is so important to maintain it even in these modern times (more than ever!).

Get rid of executive orders, reconciliation, income taxes, and all these other supra-constitutional powers Congress and the rest of the government have gradually given themselves over the last 150 years.

Politicians should be more like Jesse Ventura. Short term, stick to their principals that got them elected, speak freely even if they are are over analayzed for it and don't play appeasement games on issues that can't be compromised on. Sure, his recent conspiracy beliefs are incorrect and his show about them sucks, but his political time was a good example for how it should be done.
                            Bingo. Ventura has a show? What's it called?
                            Last edited by aeroripper; 03-04-2010, 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by aeroripper View Post
                              Bingo. Ventura has a show? What's it called?
                              Conspiracy something and it is completely ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend it, in fact I would advise against watching it.
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X