Game: Phone call from the future

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game: Phone call from the future

So one of my friends who is a hospital psychologist is doing a study on the largest causes of regret that people experience in their lives and posed the subject of this game to me. Now, this is just for fun around here (nobody's answers will be shared for said study or anything), but I'm curious to see how people would react.

So here's the scenario:
    It's present day and you are given a phone that will allow you to make one phone call to yourself, at any point in the past. Before it gets asked, the assumption is that the past version of you is GUARANTEED to pick up on the other end. There are also no ramifications on the space-time continuum, and I'd prefer if we stuck to our game here and didnt turn this into a metaphysical "what if you went back and shot your grandfather before your father was born" paradox debate.
    Here are the rules:
    • The phone call can be placed to yourself at any time during your life.
    • YOU are the only person you will be speaking to.
    • The phone call is limited to 15 seconds in length, so choose your words carefully.
    • You cannot mention that it is you calling by name.
    • You cannot say that you are calling from the future.
    • Any subject is fair game, as long as it plays within the rules.
    • The message doesnt have to be a warning or advisement. It can be congratulations or anything you want.
    • Although it is guaranteed that you'll pick up, theres no guarantee that you'll believe anything thats said, so get creative.

So lets hear what you guys would tell yourselves. I'll post my own response in a few days.

Re: Game: Phone call from the future

Calling 14 YOA snooggums: "Tinnitus is pretty easy to develop, loud music can still be felt with earplugs."

I probably wouldn't listen, I knew better anyway. Everything else I've done is character development.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

"The winning lottery numbers for March 3rd, 2003 are 10,32,43,5 and 16"
      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Suck it up, it doesn't get any better.

Comment

I suppose like Aero, I don't really regret anything. I'd also tell myself some lotto ticket outcome.

Comment

I would call myself two months before the fiscal crisis.
            I would tell myself not to say a certain thing to my wife and to tell her "Yes dear" for all demands made on a certain day.
            Then I would tell myself to move all the 401k into cash in Aug '09 then back into the funds when the DOW hit it's bottom of whatever it was.
            Then I would give myself the numbers to a small lotto. Just enough to pay off the major debts.
            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

"There are only 3 Types of Casualties, Those you can save with quick thinking and proper treatment, Those that will live no matter what you do, and Those that will die even if you do everything right"

Had I been told this at the start of my first deployment I wouldnt have been as hard on myself as I was when I lost my first patient.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

To myself in college: Don't move back to California. Anywhere but there.

Now if only there were a way to be more convincing.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

take the freakin BLUE pill!!!!!

seriously, invest heavily in google. don't move to SC. focus most of your time and energy on your wife and kids - work will still be there tomorrow @ 9am.
                  Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                  The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

I would tell myself the powerball numbers in Oct 2005 the week before the largest payout ever in powerball history. Since I would have recently turned 18 it'd all be gravy.

I'm only 23. I don't have a lot of great wisdom to tell myself. A crap ton of money sure would be sweet though. Hell all I really need is $1.2 mil but go big or go home.

If money where out of the question, I'd run down a list things never to do and a certain old boss to punch in the face when he forced me out of my last job.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

There are ways to be convincing, you just have to think about what would convince YOU at the point in time at which you called yourself. For example, here's the answer I promised you:
                      I would call myself on my 22nd birthday, 6 years ago next monday. Nobody called me on my 22nd birthday.
                      "Dont speak. Lazarus told me to call you. Life is short, but the years are long. Dont leave Indiana, get a job NOW and get back in school ASAP. If you dont, you'll lose the most important thing in your life and you'll never be the same. Happy Birthday, I'm the only one who will tell you that today."

Now, one might wonder what would make me believe all of that. Well, being a science fiction geek, I have always believed in things like time travel, so thinking about it later, I would probably agree to believe in it anyway. Second, following the same reasoning, the night before, I had just finished reading Time Enough For Love (the chronicling memoir of Lazarus Long) for about the 50th time. I've had the book mostly memorized since high school and read it about 10 times a year. So heres where the convincing would play in:
                      -The only person, other than the biblical reference, that I've ever known named Lazarus is Lazarus Long.
                      -The line "Life is short, but the years are long" is the identifier greeting for members of the Howard Families (anyone who has read the book knows what I'm talking about).
                      -The only time in the book the greeting is used is when Lazarus has TRAVELLED BACK IN TIME and is speaking with his own mother.

So, given that I knew all three of those things like the back of my hand at that point in my life, I would instantly recognize the significance. Now, whether or not I knew or believed it was myself calling from those clever hints, I would at least know that the call was coming from the future. Subsequent to that, I would have taken steps to attempt to make sure that I didnt have to repeat the process, and probably would have started journaling important events in case I had to.

Sure, I suppose I could have listed off the winning lottery numbers or something, but that isnt what matters to me. The important thing is that I would believe it and act on it. I could sound like a 80 year old woman to my previous self, but my clues would have created a mental spark and set things in motion for change. And I played within the rules. I never directly said that I was calling from the future. I never mentioned myself by name. I just gave subtle hints that only I would understand.

Comment

Well I guess if you want to be specific, I'd call myself on my birthday in 2005.

I'd say: "Kevin, I know how much you hate running movie projectors. The (Pittsburgh) Pengiuns will loose their first 6 games, the second being a 2-3 shootout lose. Here's the numbers to play in the powerball. 7, 21, 43, 44, 49 and 29 Oh yeah, pay more attention to a girl named Mandee."

First off, like you Ferris, no one called me on my birthday. It would touch a nerve with me as at the time I was working a movie theater projectionist and HATED it. The fact about the Pengiuns that year would give me specifics that over time I know that I couldn't ignore as a mere coincidence. This would prompt me to play the powerball, at least out of curiosity which would result in a cool $340 million dollars. Assuming this would cause me to quit my (then) current job (and probably buy the place and burn it down, hey I was only 18) I would never have met my current girlfriend which is were the last bit comes in.

I am a hockey fan so I would definitely watch all 6 of the first Penguins games with increasing anxiety about what would happen. I would hope that after the 6th loss I would believe my future self whatever I sounded like and buy that lotto ticket.

TG-18th 18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

If you're playing the game, be in the correct TeamSpeak Channel.

Comment

While I love Heinlein, I don't have the patience to memorize him. I probably read his stuff several times as a teen, but even in the 70's there was enough other stuff that I rarely read something more than once. (That includes at least 3 monthly SF magazines, more after Star Wars made the genre popular to publishers with money to burn.)
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            While I love Heinlein, I don't have the patience to memorize him. I probably read his stuff several times as a teen, but even in the 70's there was enough other stuff that I rarely read something more than once. (That includes at least 3 monthly SF magazines, more after Star Wars made the genre popular to publishers with money to burn.)
                            I think this might just be the wrong thread, Scratch... :)
                            |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                            Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by westyfield View Post
                              I think this might just be the wrong thread, Scratch... :)
                              He's posting from the future, apparently that is the topic this thread meanders into.
                              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X