Either The Worlds Coolest Dad Or The Dumbest

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Either The Worlds Coolest Dad Or The Dumbest

JFK air traffic controller let not one, but TWO kids direct planes.

An air-traffic controller put passengers in double jeopardy by letting his 9-year-old son direct planes at JFK - and repeating the stunt with the boy's twin sister the next day, probers said Wednesday night.

Controller Glenn Duffy was already in trouble for allowing his son to give instructions to pilots preparing for take-off on Feb. 16.

His dad then gives more detailed instructions to the pilot and announces: "Here's what you get, guys, when the kids are out of school."

In a second exchange, the boy instructs the same JetBlue flight to contact departure controllers.
    The pilot replies: "Over to departure JetBlue 171, awesome job!"

"I can assure you that at no time was the safety of the public compromised," said Ross (Rusty) Aimer, 65, a former United Airlines pilot with nearly 40 years of experience.

"This was really a non-event. It's almost like putting your child in your lap in an empty parking lot for the first time and letting him hold onto the wheel. The air-traffic controller was in command the whole time."

Travelers at Kennedy Airport offered a vastly different view.

"Even if there were professionals around, it seems a bit irresponsible," said Maura Kilfeather, a 26-year-old flight attendant. "I could see him coming to observe, but a kid talking to pilots? Anything could go wrong."

So, my question to you is:

Should the Dad be punished or not?

Full Story: Here

Originally posted in the New York Daily News.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Either The Worlds Coolest Dad Or The Dumbest

He should not be punished because of the publicity, if anything he might get a note on his performance review along with all of the supervisors that let it happen. The pilots for example found it cute, as I would expect them to do, and it was as unsafe as having a kid push the buttons on a cash register.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

No, he shouldn't be punished. It's probably not a good idea to do it again, but if he was present and in control the whole time then I can't see anything wrong with that.
      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

The whole issue should be dealt with internally, something like this: "Don't bring your kids to work with you next time and let them talk to the pilots, some might consider that to be negligent on our part" - the end. The media has obviously blown this way out of proportion, wich they commonly do. I'm surprised their not calling him a domestic terrorist, or saying he has links to Al-Qaeda. :icon_lol:

Firing the guy - despite his lack of good judgement - would be wrong in my opinion, as he would just be another unemployed American, and his career as an air traffic controller would be over forever.
        |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
          I'm surprised their not calling him a domestic terrorist, or saying he has links to Al-Qaeda.
          Just give it a day to hit FOX News. That should be fun to watch.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hell no he shouldnt be punished. You guys ever been in an ATC? There's people everywhere watching the controllers like hawks. The fact that he did it two days in a row means that someone over his head OK'd the idea. Plus, who gives a damn what some idiot flight attendant says? She's a FLIGHT ATTENDANT. Her involvement with flying the plane is to ask the pilot whether he wants pepsi or 7up. If the pilots thought it was cool, which they did, and assessed that there was absolutely no danger, which they did, then where's the harm? It's no worse than a cop letting his kid run the siren in the car once in a while. No harm, no foul.

Comment

He is the one qualified to direct air traffic, not his kids.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Originally posted by DrunkenPirate View Post
                He was directing traffic. He was telling he kids exactly what to say. Its the same as teaching your kid to help you fix your car. Is your kid a qualified mechanic? No, but you are watching him to make sure he doesn't do anything that would break the car. Same principle.

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

He was directing traffic, by telling his son what to say, word for word.
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

This world is going to hell... The lack of common sense is going to destroy us all. People that know nothing about air traffic control should not be involved in this discussion.
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                      This world is going to hell... The lack of common sense is going to destroy us all. People that know nothing about air traffic control should not be involved in this discussion.
                      So I'm not allowed to post in this thread because of your say so?
                      The guy is paid to direct air traffic, not to bring his son into a controlled area and use him as a mouthpiece.

Hate on my opinion more please I could do with a giggle.

POE2 Developer

Comment

I have a big question concerning the posts in this thread. Why is there such drama in our posts? Is there an actor or a playwright hiding amongst us?

Interested in listening to guitar playing and a good conversation, look for me on TS.

"Hope is for the weak. I hope for nothing. I work for things. That is the only way for events to unfold." -Cleverbot

Comment

I don't see the big deal with this either. He was right there, and in control. It's not like he went to lunch, and left his kids directing and landing planes!

He should NOT get fired!
                          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

So I'm not allowed to post in this thread because of your say so?
                            I think he was talking about non air traffic control people complaining to the news and what not. Like the Flight Attendent saying "its so dangerous and blah blah blah". I could be wrong though, CD care to set us straight on that one?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Think about the process for getting trained to do that job. Do they just dump you in the seat and have you start directing traffic? I hope not! Hopefully someone like that dad is there mentoring the newbie for a long time before he gets to do the job by himself. Presumably he indoctrinated his kids with the same seriousness he would have with a new trainee, and they would perform with the same seriousness.
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X