Trapped in Dubai: The Party's Over

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trapped in Dubai: The Party's Over

Dubai seems to have weathered it's financial armageddon with a bailout, at least for now. But even with all their economic problems, they still managed to build the world's tallest building. In the ultimate gesture to prove that they are maniacally lavish I suppose, or just crazy.

Does this seem eerily reminiscent of the biblical story about the Tower of Babel? Except this time God doesn't confuse their language causing them to flee, instead, He confuses Dubai's financial planners causing all the foreign investers and workers to flee. And thats exactly what happened when it all came crashing down, people fled Dubai rather than be imprisoned for their debt.

Jail time is cost for not paying debts in Dubai

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates Hussein Ali Mubarak sits in prison, surrounded by murderers and burglars. His crime: defaulting on his bank loans.

More than 1,200 people in Dubai's central jail about 40 percent of the prison population have been convicted of not repaying money borrowed from banks so they could get married, buy a car or house or invest in the stock market.

Jailing debtors, a practice more common in 18th-century England, illustrates the downside of this Persian Gulf city-state's frantic economic boom.
    Thats right, you can go to prison in Dubai for not paying off your loans, but thats not the only thing that can get you jail time in Dubai.

Britons face jail in Dubai over kiss

Two Britons accused of kissing in public in Dubai face up to a month in prison after a mother complained her child had seen them.

Ayman Najafi, 24, from Palmers Green, and a female friend named by the Sun as tourist Charlotte Lewis, 25, launched an appeal in a Dubai court today but will have to wait three weeks to find out if they have been successful.

Najafi, who has lived in Dubai for the past 18 months, and Lewis were arrested last November and accused of kissing, touching each other intimately and consuming alcohol.
    Sky News has offered this article as a warning to travelers and also illustrating how Dubai is the most likely place to be arrested if you are a tourist from the UK.

Travel Advice: How To Avoid Arrest In Dubai

It may have a thriving, mainstream tourist industry, but Britons are more likely to be arrested in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) than in any other country in the world.

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office said 1.1m Britons visited the UAE last year - and 294 of them ended up being arrested or detained by police.

The country's laws reflect its Muslim tradition, and Westerners who do not take steps to familiarise themselves with restrictions may quite easily find themselves falling foul of strict regulations.
    This documentary is really good and explains some of the madness going on in Dubai. And, how some foreigners are broke and simply trapped there.

|TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Trapped in Dubai: The Party's Over

Just finished watching the whole video. Crazy. Looks like they got caught up in the same debt frenzy that the U.S. did. What an odd place.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Seems like a modern day wild west in ways. Amazing that such a place can exist.

Comment

I will never understand why people would want to vacation in a such a repressive environment.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Because its only repressive if you leave the seclusion of your 5 star resort hotel.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
            Because its only repressive if you leave the seclusion of your 5 star resort hotel.
            It's only repressive if you notice what's going on outside of your 5 star resort hotel. Don't have to leave.

Yes, I know you didn't mean it literally, but far too many people would rather ignore the outside conditions, even if obvious, to enjoy their little slice of heaven.

Comment

But why go all the way to Dubai if you're just going to stay in a hotel? There are 5 star hotels all over the world, surely closer to home than going to the middle of nowhere.

3) Support game play in a near-simulation environment. Where the focus of play would not be solely on doing what it takes to win, but doing so utilizing real-world combat strategy and tactics rather than leveraging exploits provided to players by the design of the game engine.

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
                This documentary is really good and explains some of the madness going on in Dubai. And, how some foreigners are broke and simply trapped there.
                That documentary makes me want to strangle Derek Khan to death with his own a*****e, but that's just me. Never going there, won't even try...
                Do or do not, there is no try....
                -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Hah I can't help but gloat in the poetic justice coming to them. Insane megalomania I call it, by some desert nomands who accidentally found the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. They thought just because they had some free money they could be like the west, whilst still retaining the values of their desert-nomad-days.

Rome wasn't built in a day, Dubai was.

PS It was also built on perhaps the foulest form of slavery known to the modern world. The racism and abuse towards their asian slaves (mostly India and surroundings) is testimony to their medieval morals. God it reminds me of the absurdity of the airports of Bahrain and Abu Dhabi. Where blinding richess, and terrible ethics mix into a cocktail of the most instantly sickening type. Like a Bloody Mary, with mayonaise.
                  So glad I never set a foot out of those airports in transit.

Comment

Bahrain airport is the sexiest place I have ever been. I thought we'd stopped in friggin paradise.
                    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

I love mayo. I gotta try that. :p
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X