Top Catholic exorcist: Pedophiles tempted by Satan, not possessed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Catholic exorcist: Pedophiles tempted by Satan, not possessed

Rome, Italy (CNN) -- "The devil tempts everyone -- people in politics, in economics, in sport. And naturally, he tempts, above all, the religious leaders, so you shouldn't be surprised if the devil tempts those in the Vatican. That's his job."

Father Gabriele Amorth isn't speaking metaphorically when he says that. The 85-year-old priest means people can be tempted and literally possessed by Satan.

"It's not my opinion: I'm saying that if you believe in the Gospels, you believe in the existence of the devil, in the devil's power to possess people," he said in an interview with CNN.

The faithful believe "that there are people possessed by the devil, and ... in the power of exorcism to liberate from the devil," he said.

And as the chief exorcist of the Roman Catholic Church, it's his job to expel the devil when someone is possessed. Amorth, the founder of the International Association of Exorcists, has performed more than 70,000 exorcisms in his career, he estimates.

But there is a difference between possession -- where the devil takes hold of someone's body and actions -- and temptation, where Satan lures a person into doing evil, he said.
    http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe....html?hpt=Sbin

I was originally going laugh at the attempt of a distinction between being influenced and possession, but then I noticed that he apparently has either done an exorcism each day for 191 years or he has done about 4 exorcisms a day (even weekends!) for 50 years.

Or exorcisms are way easier than they are described and he can knock one out each hour :)

Ok, I'm still going to laugh because in either case it is simply blaming something else for your behavior.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Re: Top Catholic exorcist: Pedophiles tempted by Satan, not possessed

He might also have group rates. Get a hundred people in a room and do a mass casting out.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Since he's 85 years old, I was gonna guess 3 a day for about 65 years. I don't think they really take that long to perform though, the main trick is probably finding enough possessed people to keep your schedule full.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
        Since he's 85 years old, I was gonna guess 3 a day for about 65 years. I don't think they really take that long to perform though, the main trick is probably finding enough possessed people to keep your schedule full.
        I wonder how many where repeat customers?
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

This is off topic a bit, but still about a Catholic priest. This story was circulating around South Florida last year.

The priest, the stripper, and their baby

She was an exotic dancer at a Miami strip club called Porky's. He showed up wearing a Hawaiian shirt, eager to share a night in the VIP lounge.

They began a torrid, on-and-off love affair that ended for good in January, after she gave birth to a daughter she says is his. Now, she wants child support and has filed a restraining order against him.
          When I heard this story I immediately thought, they should promote this guy to at least Cardinal of an archdiocese. He actually had an inappropriate relationship with an adult female, forget that she's a stripper, this is real growth. For once a Catholic priest was not accused or convicted of molesting young boys, Hallelujah!
          |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Whew, well that absolves anyone of ever being a pedophile - it's not actually their fault, it's possession by a demon.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
              Whew, well that absolves anyone of ever being a pedophile - it's not actually their fault, it's possession by a demon.
              We can use that for anything, can't we?

Sorry, I didn't mean to gun down 25 people in a starbucks as a method of improving the human gene pool by removing those stupid enough to pay $6.00+ for a lousy cup of coffee, I was possessed by a demon!

Comment

Exactly.

Comment

Father Gabriele Amorth, 70000 Exorcisms and counting. There is a classic B-comic book in that somewhere.
                  Do or do not, there is no try....
                  -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

Or a South Park episode. Except they've already done it. Several times.

I wonder if the Vatican employs a fleet of tanker trucks to remove the Linda Blair brand pea soup expelled during the ceremonies? What do they do with it? Is there a vast Italian toxic waste dump full of demon puke?
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by gunjunkie View Post
                      Father Gabriele Amorth, 70000 Exorcisms and counting. There is a classic B-comic book in that somewhere.
                      Constantine?
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                        As entertaining as that excuse would be, the whole point of this story was that the priest was opposing that viewpoint. He thinks some things are caused by possession, but not pedophilia. That they have to take their own responsibility for.

Comment

Blaming influence on a demon isl still blaming it on something else. If I kill someone and I say that Jim told me to do it, it is still my fault I killed someone.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Why not pedophilia if other things are caused by possession?

Comment

Should the courts decide if demon incitement is to blame? ;)

How many other crimes could be blamed on possession? This could be the new Twinkie defense!
                              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X