When Gun Nuts Meet Video Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When Gun Nuts Meet Video Games

Just throwing this one out there. Kotaku just linked to an interesting article about gamers and gun lovers, and at first I was going to post it in the GD forum, but figured people would start debating, so might be better for here

When Gun Nuts Meet Video Games

The comments at the link as well as the full article are also an interesting read.

LINKS

Stoop and you'll be stepped on; stand tall and you'll be shot at.

-Carlos A. Urbizo-

Re: When Gun Nuts Meet Video Games

The blog article posted is in reference to this article, wich is pretty interesting.

Gunners and Gamers

The author talks about the perceived dangers or stereotypes about gamers and gun owners, and defends that guns and gamers are in fact not a danger at all. But where he really makes his point is on page 5 of the article, where he makes this statement.

Looking at statistics related to firearm-related deaths in the United States paints an even more interesting picture. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of people killed in the U.S. by firearms in the year 2005 was 31,000, but the number of people killed in traffic accidents was 43,150, making driving in the U.S. almost 40 percent more dangerous than guns - a fact you don't hear a lot of talk about on Capitol Hill.

Looking closer at the numbers, though, leads to an even bigger surprise. Of the 31,000 gun-related deaths in 2005, over half - 55 percent - were suicides. This suggests most gun owners are more dangerous to themselves than to anyone else.

But what about the recent rise in both the production of violent videogames and the skyrocketing sales of guns, including assault rifles like the ACR? While it's true that starting in 2008, in response to fears of new gun legislation, firearms sales increased by an unprecedented 14 percent, the FBI's violent crime statistics show that in the same year, murder rates dropped five percent to the lowest they've been in 43 years. In the same year, videogame sales increased by 19 percent, and one of the top-sellers that year was also one of the most violent, Grand Theft Auto IV.

If you're still worried about game-related gun violence, however, consider this: In most states in the U.S., would-be gun owners must be at least 18 years old, and all retail gun purchases in every state are subject to an FBI background check and registered in a national database. Yet anyone who passes a simple test can drive a car. Perhaps the next person you see playing a racing game is the one you should be really concerned about.
    I think that it's a pretty good summation to argue against anti-gun and game advocates, and I agree. Whats really funny about the article - and I was unaware of this - is the fact that Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 caused an internet search and retail frenzy about a rather obscure assault rifle that was featured in the game.

"I was surprised because compared to the AKs, M4s and Glocks of the world, the ACR is relatively unknown outside of the industry," he says.

Although Steve had been following news related to the ACR for the entire history of its development, he was baffled as to why anyone outside of the small circle of firearm enthusiasts would even know of its existence, much less be interested in purchasing one. Then it hit him: Among the many modern firearms depicted in Activision's Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is the ACR, complete with an entirely fictional "heartbeat sensor" that alerts the player to the presence of enemies - a feature one member of The Firearm Blog calls "fantastic," and not in the good way.
    Call of Duty Effect

This blog was quoted in the Gunners and Gamers article, they refer to the Bushmaster ACR feeding frenzy as the Call of Duty Effect.

A while back I was surprised to see searches for the "Bushmaster ACR" rising to the top of the list of search engine terms used to find The Firearm Blog on search engines. Over the past month it it has risen to the top search term.

I was surprised because compared to the AKs, M4s and Glocks of the world, the ACR is relatively unknown outside of the industry. I finally realized why this is: the gun is featured in Call of Duty: Modern Warefare 2, which was launched last month.
    See, video games do have at least one redeeming quality - contrary to popular belief - they help American gun manufacturers and retailers.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

I'm not sure wether the ACR becoming more popular is a good or bad thing. In one way, it seems to be an excellent rifle from what Magpul has shown, but in a nother way a bunch of people trying to buy a military grade rifle because of a game is a bit..... odd?

Comment

What's humorous is that the Remington ACR turned out to be a overpriced pile of crap.

$2,600 - $3,000+ for an 8.2 lbs. rifle with 3 rail foreend, 1/9 twist non-chrome-lined barrel? Right.

Even Hitler was pissed.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BB0Pu-rvFjs

Comment

Originally posted by Delta Five Nine View Post
          I'm not sure wether the ACR becoming more popular is a good or bad thing. In one way, it seems to be an excellent rifle from what Magpul has shown, but in a nother way a bunch of people trying to buy a military grade rifle because of a game is a bit..... odd?
          Military grade? As in..... it looks scarier?

Because looks and ergonomics is really the only difference between that and the POS SKS I've got in my gun safe. Recreational users always go with what's cool and futuristic looking over functionality any day. Look at Apple products.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post
            Military grade? As in..... it looks scarier?

Because looks and ergonomics is really the only difference between that and the POS SKS I've got in my gun safe. Recreational users always go with what's cool and futuristic looking over functionality any day. Look at Apple products.
            You could argue that for the AR-15 and ACR, but not the SKS and ACR. Range, recoil, accuracy are going to be better than a SKS if only because the SKS fires the 7.62x39.

And I said mil grade as in the Masada was designed for military use.... though military grade doesn't really mean anything.

Also, hadn't really kept up on things since I wouldn't actually be getting one or anything but a non-chrome lined barrel is utterly retarded, especially at twice the price the gun was originally slated....

Comment

ACR = Masada, basically. No insult intended if you knew that.

Magpul built up this cool little rifle that had a lot of folks excited, but since they don't really have the manufacturing ability to meet the demand they were anticipating, they entered a licensing agreement with Bushmaster. Now we have the piece of garbage I mentioned in the post above.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
                ACR = Masada, basically. No insult intended if you knew that.

Magpul built up this cool little rifle that had a lot of folks excited, but since they don't really have the manufacturing ability to meet the demand they were anticipating, they entered a licensing agreement with Bushmaster. Now we have the piece of garbage I mentioned in the post above.
                Second part of your post is why I said the Masada instead of the ACR, really. I've known about the thing since it was the Masada and Massoud, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta Five Nine View Post
                  You could argue that for the AR-15 and ACR, but not the SKS and ACR. Range, recoil, accuracy are going to be better than a SKS if only because the SKS fires the 7.62x39.
                  I fail to see how just because something is more accurate or has longer range makes it somehow strange to own.

Besides, why would most civilians buy said "military grade" weapons? Because they perform better? Define better. I think a lot of gun owners don't want to admit they buy a lot of these guns because they look cool and are probably fun to shoot. Saying that it's weird to want a gun from a video game is what's weird to me.

Just think about the Desert Eagle when it comes to how popular media can make a weapon. I bet many people only know what Walter is because of James Bond. The Thompson? WWII and Mobster movies. S&W .44 Mag? "Feel lucky?"

Me in particular? I wanted a new .22LR "rifle" for plinking. Hey, someone makes one based off an MP5 frame (one of my favorite weapons): SOLD!

And I said mil grade as in the Masada was designed for military use....
                  So were the 1911 and the M9.

though military grade doesn't really mean anything.
                  And here's where we agree. You don't need anything fancy to kill someone. "Military Grade" usually means "it looks scary" or "the news wants to scare soccer moms."

Comment

Originally posted by TheFeniX View Post

Just think about the Desert Eagle when it comes to how popular media can make a weapon. I bet many people only know what Walther is because of James Bond. The Thompson? WWII and Mobster movies. S&W .44 Mag? "Feel lucky?"
                    There fixed that for you. Its german and its WALTHER. And your probably right. The media has done alot to popularize and demonize firearms and weapons. To the point that even when I am traveling on orders in uniform on a military C-130, I cant carry my gerber multitool. But its alright for me to carry my M-4(with bolt removed). Have ammunition on me and a magizine for said weapon.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                    X