X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lebanese TV Personality Sentenced to Death in Saudi Arabia for 'Sorcery'

Saudi Arabia 'sorcery' death sentence upheld

TV presenter gets death sentence for 'sorcery'

Amnesty International is calling on Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah to stop the execution of a Lebanese man sentenced to death for "sorcery."

In a statement released Thursday, the international rights group condemned the verdict and demanded the immediate release of Ali Hussain Sibat, former host of a popular call-in show that aired on Sheherazade, a Beirut based satellite TV channel.

According to his lawyer, Sibat, who is 48 and has five children, would predict the future on his show and give out advice to his audience.

The attorney, May El Khansa, who is in Lebanon, tells CNN her client was arrested by Saudi Arabia's religious police (known as the Mutawa'een) and charged with sorcery while visiting the country in May 2008. Sibat was in Saudi Arabia to perform the Islamic religious pilgrimage known as Umra.

Sibat was then put on trial. In November 2009, a court in the Saudi city of Medina found Sibat guilty and sentenced him to death.

According to El Khansa, Sibat appealed the verdict. The case was taken up by the Court of Appeal in the Saudi city of Mecca on the grounds that the initial verdict was "premature."

El Khansa tells CNN that the Mecca appeals court then sent the case back to the original court for reconsideration, stipulating that all charges made against Sibat needed to be verified and that he should be given a chance to repent.

On March 10, judges in Medina upheld their initial verdict, meaning Sibat is once again sentenced to be executed.

"The Medina court refused the sentence of the appeals court," said El Khansa, adding her client will appeal the verdict once more.

The case has been covered extensively by local media. According to Arab News, an English language Saudi daily newspaper, after the most recent verdict was issued, the judges in Medina issued a statement expressing that Sibat deserved to be executed for having continually practiced black magic on his show, adding that this sentence would deter others from practicing sorcery. Arab News reports that the case will now return to the appeals court in Mecca.

CNN has not been able to reach Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Justice for comment.
    Once again, one of America's most trusted allies and 'War on Terrror' partners makes us all proud. President Bush once made this statement:

“We are resolved to rout out terror wherever it exists to save the world for freedom.”

This definitely sounds like 'terror' to me, and the guy has lost his 'freedom' for sure. You think Mr. Bush will pick up the phone and call his lifelong friends in Saudi Arabia to help 'rout out terror' and get him released? Perhaps not, maybe he wasn't talking about 'saving' that particular part of the 'world' when he said 'wherever it exists'.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Lebanese TV Personality Sentenced to Death in Saudi Arabia for 'Sorcery'

I was going to post this one but couldn't make a mature comment about laws based on and enforced for religions.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
      I was going to post this one but couldn't make a mature comment about laws based on and enforced for religions.
      One could assume Daniel Radcliffe - the actor who plays Harry Potter - probably won't be going to Saudi Arabia to promote his next film. Maybe he's already on their most wanted list, he's practiced more sorcery than anyone else.

Wanted for Sorcery

If you have seen this man, or know his whereabouts, please notify King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia immediately.
      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

To be honest I can't wait until the world really does 'run out' of oil... Saudi Arabi will be a third world wasteland in less then a year when is does. I only hope that the US is smart enough to be free of our oil addiction before that happens.

Comment

well every country(especially middle eastern countries) have their own set of rules. Their religion is much much stricter than most other countries and everybody needs to respect them for what they believe in and what their religion teaches. What we see as unlawful over here they might not in other countries.

off course this is an extreme case which is obviously a lil wacko to say the least. and i'de say that the U.S' allies all have their flaws, none of them are perfect just like the U.S isnt also. although some are more wack than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Kwalc View Post
            well every country(especially middle eastern countries) have their own set of rules. Their religion is much much stricter than most other countries and everybody needs to respect them for what they believe in and what their religion teaches.
            What part of a country's high court executing a man for sorcery should I respect? The insanity? OR the stupidity?

Should I respect a country who executes people who believe Jesus Christ was our Lord and Savior? I mean, it's their beliefs and all beliefs, no matter how archaic or idiotic, should be respected, right?

What we see as unlawful over here they might not in other countries.
            Yea, and stupid laws in the US, Canada, or wherever deserve to be ruthlessly mocked.

off course this is an extreme case which is obviously a lil wacko to say the least. and i'de say that the U.S' allies all have their flaws, none of them are perfect just like the U.S isnt also. although some are more wack than others.
            You know, I come from a state where a retarded man was executed for murder. Now, we can argue the specifics of the case and where his IQ actually was, but as stupid as Texas (and the Governor) was in that case: a person did end up dead. So, a law with a logical and moral basis was broken and punishment was meritted out.

In what alternate reality should I condone the execution of a man or woman for casting spells and fortune-telling? Seriously, most of the world has no problem leaving that for Fantasy novels and PnP RPGs. But SA gets a pass because.... I should respect their beliefs?

Comment

What I find really bizarre is that he was sentenced for "crimes" he committed in another country, and after he had retired and was no longer continuing his TV show.

I'm guessing you posted the picture of Daniel Radcliffe in jest, but in all honesty he probably wouldn't be safe in a muslim country.

Comment

Tolerance is not the same thing as respect. Tolerance means I'll not attack you for your craziness if you promise not to attack me for mine. But that doesn't mean I have to respect your goofy superstitions. I still think you're nuts for believing in sorcery.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X