Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamers are soft

http://kotaku.com/5500437/army-tough...tened-by-games

The Army is remaking its basic training for the first time in 30 years to cope with a generation that, as the general in charge says, has a courage and physique shaped by, you guessed it, video games.

Speaking to National Public Radio this weekend, Army Lt. Gen. Mark Hertling didn't single games out specifically, but when he talks about raw recruits' preternatural grasp of technology, combined with an "across-the-board decline" in "physical capacity," we can connect the dots.
    Hertling does praise the current generation for its intelligence and, again, familiarity with technology. And also their critical thinking skills, "They certainly ask a lot more difficult questions," he said. But that's not really a virtue in a high pressure job where orders are given and expected to be followed.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Gamers are soft

I object to lowering the standards to pander to out-of-shape sloths... but my objection doesn't mean much. Oh, well.

Comment

Originally posted by Gill View Post
      I object to lowering the standards to pander to out-of-shape sloths... but my objection doesn't mean much. Oh, well.
      I agree. Their only doing this because they need more bodies.

The 2010 Budget supports additional permanent forces in the Army and Marine Corps, which will increase to 547,400 and 202,000, respectively, by the end of 2009. This growth is two to three years ahead of schedule and will reduce stress on servicemembers and their families, while ensuring heightened readiness for a full spectrum of military operations. Link.
      Making things easier for those who are out of shape will surely not help in the long run. The reality is the US military needs to be drastically reduced. They need to be leaner and meaner, not bigger, softer, and lazier. Of course that would require ending the global military empire, I'm not holding my breath.
      |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

But what is actually being changed? Is it the ease of the program entirely, or is it changing specific parts to ease their start into the program and to bolster the courage and discipline they lack?

In case of the former, I would agree that it's not good. With the latter, though, it might be more like they are just adjusting to make it easier for them to enter, but ending with just as good of a result.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X