Socialized broadband

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socialized broadband

I'm curious: How many of you who opposed socialized health care also oppose a socialized Internet?

http://www.tacticalgamer.com/hardwar...band-plan.html

If they run 100 Mbps drops to homeless shelters, I can quit my job and spend the rest of my days playing games there.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Socialized broadband

"Socializing" and "internet" usually have such a good connotation when used together... <sigh>

sigpic
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
    something which is not everything it should be." ó Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

The "last mile" should be socialized.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
        The "last mile" should be socialized.
        The last mile is socialized. Sure, private companies "own" the wire. But the municipality owns the right of way, and establishes monopoly control by your local cable and phone company over the wires in that right of way. It's your city to be blamed for any poor service you get, because they protect the companies from competition. In spite of that, there still is competition, in the form of satellite and wireless broadband. And sometimes, you can get both cable and DSL in the same market, so you get at least two wired competitors to keep each other honest.

Without control there is no true ownership. You're just stuck with the responsibility. It's like being a kid with chores and an allowance, but little coupling between them. It's fine if you do a lousy job. You're still gonna get paid.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I think it should be to a certain extent because of one simple fact. Companies rely on government to either use the public spectrum or to lay lines under public property. They also often get government to force private land owners to allow the laying of cable/wire/fiber.

I do think it is much like public highways with one major, and important, difference. Public highways do not go into a persons home. I think that means private companies must be involved.

So the socialization must be that every company should have equal access to the backbone of the system. There would have to be some rules on usage and maybe a certain benefits given to those that lay new wire/fiber.

All homes should have a certain amount of connectivity available to them. If income is at a certain amount he company providing the service might get compensated and maybe the quality of, say, tech support doesn't have to be as high.
          Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            I think it should be to a certain extent because of one simple fact. Companies rely on government to either use the public spectrum or to lay lines under public property. They also often get government to force private land owners to allow the laying of cable/wire/fiber.
            So similar to the telegraph and railroads. And to private title assignment, as the government decides who owns a hunk of land.

I do think it is much like public highways with one major, and important, difference. Public highways do not go into a persons home. I think that means private companies must be involved.
            Why? When you do anything noteworthy to a house, government inspectors come to visit and look at everything. Why not let government cabling people wire the house? In fact, they might as well build the house. Then you know it's always up to code.

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
              Why not let government cabling people wire the house? In fact, they might as well build the house. Then you know it's always up to code.
              That is where government fails. It cannot get the manpower at a realistic price to install the cable. It is much better when it just tells the companies who provide the service what the minimum requirements are.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yet we have commuter rail systems that seem to work ok with public manpower. Installing broadband should be easier, since there's far fewer safety issues to qualify for. Heck, you could hire teens away from BestBuy to do it. With the current unemployment situation, there's no shortage of people available.

Comment

Socialized major league baseball:
                  http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2010/...axpayer-money/

Comment

Court: FCC has no power to regulate Net neutrality
                    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-20...=2547-1_3-0-20

I think cable and DSL are trying to have it both ways: They get a protected monopoly through municipalities and then don't want the restrictions of common carrier status. My feeling is that you either suffer common carrier status as the cost of your monopoly or you share the utility pole with all comers.

Comment

The Durable Internet: Preserving Network Neutrality without Regulation
                      http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=9775

New regulations inevitably come with unintended consequences. Indeed, today's network neutrality debate is strikingly similar to the debate that produced the first modern regulatory agency, the Interstate Commerce Commission. Unfortunately, rather than protecting consumers from the railroads, the ICC protected the railroads from competition by erecting new barriers to entry in the surface transportation marketplace. Other 20th-century regulatory agencies also limited competition in the industries they regulated. Like these older regulatory regimes, network neutrality regulations are likely not to achieve their intended aims. Given the need for more competition in the broadband marketplace, policymakers should be especially wary of enacting regulations that could become a barrier to entry for new broadband firms.
                      Full text here:

http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-626.pdf

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X