X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you fear your government?

Heritage just published a book about abuses of the legal system:

http://blog.heritage.org/2010/03/31/...-under-arrest/

In May 2004, FBI agents driving a black Suburban and wearing SWAT gear ran Evertson off the road near his motherís home in Wasilla, Alaska. When Evertson was face down on the pavement with automatic weapons trained on him, an FBI agent told him he was being arrested because he hadnít put a federally mandated sticker on a UPS package.

A jury in federal court in Alaska acquitted Evertson, but the feds werenít finished. They reached into their bag of over 4,500 federal crimes and found another ridiculous crime they could use to prosecute him: supposedly ďabandoningĒ hazardous waste (actually storing, in appropriate containers, valuable materials he was using for the clean-fuel technology he was developing). A second jury convicted him, and he spent 21 months in an Oregon federal prison.
    One Nation Under Arrest: How Crazy Laws, Rogue Prosecutors, and Activist Judges Threaten Your Liberty Order from Amazon.com

America is in the throes of overcriminalization: We are making and enforcing far too many criminal laws that create traps for the innocent but unwary and threaten to make criminals out of those who are doing their best to be respectable, law-abiding citizens. Key developments in criminal law and practice over the past few decades have raised troubling questions about the fairness of our criminal justice system as it affects the average American. It is time to confront these questions, analyze them, and subject them to serious, vigorous debate.

One Nation Under Arrest highlights a major effort to return the criminal law to its traditional and proper role in society: to ensure public safety and protect the innocent. With first-hand stories from victims of overcriminalization, One Nation Under Arrest sheds light on an insidious problem that few recognize or care about but which is vital to the fundamental values of the Republic and our concept of justice. Overcriminalization should concern everyone in America, both as citizens and as potential accused. Much is at stake for our freedoms and the freedoms of future generations. Taking the steps necessary to ensure that American criminal law once again routinely exemplifies the right principles and purposes will require much work, but the alternative is to squander the great treasure that is the American criminal justice system.
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Why do you fear your government?

Although I don't fear the government, I fear individuals wielding power without consequence just like in the private sector, the problem outlined in the section above is that the system of laws makes everyone a criminal and through uneven enforcement anyone in power can use something to punish someone. Why did the FBI care so much about the guy in the first article? You can get arrested for not paying a parking ticket and this is on the same level, why was it something that was so important that several officers needed automatic weapons to arrest this individual?

We are in a situation where we could become a police state by simply enforcing the laws already in place. My issue with the system is that instead of reviewing past laws they are simply carried forward and continued instead of dropping unnecessary laws and focusing on making the important ones clear and enforced. Of course, any system where they require yearly or any other period for revising the laws the congress would simply automatically renew all past laws so I'm not sure there is a possible fix to this. It doesn't help that national laws only cover X, then State laws Cover Y, then country law cover Z and then city or municipality laws cover even more. While ignorance of the law isn't considered a defense, there is no possible way for a person to know all of the laws that they are supposed to comply with and in some areas you can't even locate the laws in an accessible location for the public.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
      While ignorance of the law isn't considered a defense, there is no possible way for a person to know all of the laws that they are supposed to comply with and in some areas you can't even locate the laws in an accessible location for the public.
      That's one good reason for fearing the government. I have no cowering fear, but much on the side of concern. I find certain executive orders to be very alarming. They, while passed by one individual wielding power, are often to be carried out by large governmental forces, like FEMA. Grouping individuals into large governmental forces seems to decrease individual accountability and inhibition; working under title of "Law," the same.

sigpic
      "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
      something which is not everything it should be." ó Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

Executive orders aren't even laws, they are the selective enforcement of the laws. Bush wrote several that ignored laws that congress passed over his veto, and frankly that shows that they are completely unconstitutional. The president should be enforcing the congressional laws, not neutering them or bypassing the legislative process.
        |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Government employees are just like corporate employees: They want to go drum up business in order to justify their jobs and their raises, so they can bring home more money to keep their family living the Good Life. Prosecutors have political ambitions; they want to move up in their world. Same with the cops and the lawyers and judges. Same with the various administrative personnel who do all the paperwork. When I walk into a law enforcement center (eg. to serve jury duty), I see around me signs of corporate drones pursuing the rat race. Any justice that gets served is because of individuals who still believe in The Cause, not because the system is designed to further it.
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

CIA is the first thing I would fear, because you dont know what they stand for, and when you look at the unclassified documents they release all that they were doing in the past was against the americans interrest, so I dont see why they would now work for the american people since then. Second, the NSA that is now more powerfull than ever, since Bush, and especially against the citizen of the US. After, the patriot Act and the domestic terrorist list, in the name of which you can now be tag because you wear a death metal t-shirt in an airport. Also, the IRS. That one is going to take care of you pokets.

But essentially, without the CIA, the NSA, the Patriot Act and the IRS, US would be a much safer and free country. As long as these organisations will be in place to, for example, make sure that the US citizen dont disturb fraud commited by the bankster against the american people, this country will not be free, and will not be safe.

Comment

Because they will harass me for smoking dried plant matter :P

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
              X