Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Authorizes Assassination of US Citizen

U.S. Approves Targeted Killing of American Cleric

The Obama administration has taken the extraordinary step of authorizing the targeted killing of an American citizen, the radical Muslim cleric Anwar al-Awlaki, who is believed to have shifted from encouraging attacks on the United States to directly participating in them, intelligence and counterterrorism officials said Tuesday.

Mr. Awlaki, who was born in New Mexico and spent years in the United States as an imam, is in hiding in Yemen. He has been the focus of intense scrutiny since he was linked to Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan, the Army psychiatrist accused of killing 13 people at Fort Hood, Tex., in November, and then to Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, the Nigerian man charged with trying to blow up a Detroit-bound airliner on Dec. 25.

American counterterrorism officials say Mr. Awlaki is an operative of Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, the affiliate of the terror network in Yemen and Saudi Arabia. They say they believe that he has become a recruiter for the terrorist network, feeding prospects into plots aimed at the United States and at Americans abroad, the officials said.

It is extremely rare, if not unprecedented, for an American to be approved for targeted killing, officials said. A former senior legal official in the administration of George W. Bush said he did not know of any American who was approved for targeted killing under the former president.
    I don't care for this at all, even though I realize that this Awlaki character is probably not a nice guy. If the government has enough evidence to assassinate him, then bring him into custody and prosecute him in Federal court.

This would seem to open the door in the future for the government to apply the terrorist label to any US citizen living abroad and kill them if they deem it neccesary.

Keith Olbermann featured this story wich was a little surprising knowing his politics. Video link below.

Countdown with Keith Olbermann
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Obama Authorizes Assassination of US Citizen

I guess I don't see the problem since he is a suspected military target, making him no different than other targets of assassination except for his betrayal of his citizenship. I like your suggestion of arresting him since:

He is in Yemen, so there is no jurisdiction to arrest him as a US citizen for crimes he committed in Yemen. While he could be arrested as a conspirator for attacks on US soil, until he is in custody he is a military target, just like Bin Laden.
    Out of country military targets don't provide for the same level of evidence as a courtroom would require. There is no police access to the crime scene to collect physical evidence and limited ability to call witnesses since they are most likely not US citizens.

The only thing that makes this interesting is that he hasn't officially renounced his citizenship.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

That might be for propaganda purposes (not renouncing his citizenship).

Comment

I saw this on keith olberman's show and realized this was a pure public display for the goverment. They could easily just wipe this guy out without anyone ever knowing. I think they pushed it public as a show of force and are willing to accept the negative publicity.

- -

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post

This would seem to open the door in the future for the government to apply the terrorist label to any US citizen living abroad and kill them if they deem it neccesary.

What and u think they cant just kill anyone they want? The fact they even said anything just make me think publicity stunt

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
          So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Originally posted by AdeptAbyss View Post
            What and u think they cant just kill anyone they want?
            I have no idea about that, unless your talking about Predator drone attacks or something like that - wich I don't care for either. What bothers me about this is the so called intelligence and counterterrorism officials that the New York Times are quoting in this article are probably the same people who completely missed the Underwear Bomber who walked right onto a plane - even though there were red flags going up everywhere. Who's to say that they are getting it right this time, when they have been so wrong before. Killing US citizens - even bad ones who may deserve it - without a trial or affording them any other Constitutional rights beforehand is a slippery slope.
            |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Comment

Originally posted by mp40x View Post
              Killing US citizens - even bad ones who may deserve it - without a trial or affording them any other Constitutional rights beforehand is a slippery slope.
              I might actually agree with you on this one. Even during WWII and the Cold War, when we found spys, we'd of course sentence them to death for treason, but at least they'd get a trial first (albeit probably just a formality).
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I don't have any sympathy for him. "US citizen" might be legally correct, but did he even Vote? (was he born or did he immigrate? IDK) He's a bad man and justly a military target, and most importantly, not domestic. Not anywhere close enough to gray area for me to start yelling "big brother" over.

Disclosure: IAMACanadian, but if he was a Canadian citizen I'd hold the same opinion. (and I'm sure it wouldn't raise anywhere near the stink by the CDN Feds if he got waxed overseas)

Comment

Originally posted by Vulcan View Post
                  I saw this on keith olberman's show and realized this was a pure public display for the goverment. They could easily just wipe this guy out without anyone ever knowing. I think they pushed it public as a show of force and are willing to accept the negative publicity.
                  Seeing how it's now legal, I think the ramifications have gone beyond publicity. I have my doubts the law will be repealed in the future even after this terrorist has been blown to bits (seeing how "terrorism" seems to be a forever ongoing pain).
                  |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                  TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                  Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                  Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

I can see both sides of this coin. He is a citizen and should be afforded the same rights as any other citizen. Yet, I can see how, being a military high value target, could afford one a visit from a US 00 agent or Predator drone. I can see it now, Seal landing in Yemen. They stalk into the house of the target. Slowly, stealthily moving from room to room. Three racks from a silenced MP-5SD and back the the beach they go. All in the middle of the night. More than likely they would just use a carbomb, snipers or catch him in a market, make it look like Americans or other tourist were being targeted and been done with it. It was an accident. snicker

|TG-IRR|

Comment

The fact that its a publicly acknowledged assassination I think is significant. This stuff happened behind the scenes during the Cold War with foreign nationals, but the first time I know of an American citizen. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Ditto on the slippery slope.
                      Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                      Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

You need to look up to find the start of the slippery slope as we are well on our way to the bottom.
                        This is just a publicity stunt.
                        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                        So that when they turn their backs on you,
                        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

I bet ppl get assasinated all the time by the u.s government or c.i.a or any other intelligence agency. fact of the matter is, its nothing new so no one should be surprised

Comment

Hmm, this guess been on the radar for a long time. This is the guy that essentially updated the face of Al Qaeda's recruiting and has been putting the polish on their propaganda videos, isn't he? If so, he's been on HVT status for quite awhile I believe. I think the issue on the stance is either poorly presented by the administration or the result of some editorial liberties. I never trust the wording in any news source anymore.

But anyway.. if he hasn't renounced his U.S. Citizenship, perhaps it would have been more 'palatable' to revoke his citizenship if that is what was needed to make his status more defined? Result would be the same, HVT - dead or alive. Maybe to much red-tape to revoke citizenship?
                            sigpic

Comment

I bet ppl get assasinated all the time by the u.s government or c.i.a or any other intelligence agency. fact of the matter is, its nothing new so no one should be surprised
                              Phew, that's a relief. Thank you! *reclines chair and sips iced tea
                              Like the server? Become a regular! TGNS Required Reading
                              Answers to every server question? Yes! TGNS FAQ

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X