The Mood of the Sandbox

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mood of the Sandbox

I think this is worth pointing out - obviously some will disagree. Have you noticed that this forum has become a haven for cheap, condescending, and inflammatory attacks - that at times seem a little personal? I'm not guiltless of course of doing the same thing, but I feel that it has become a bit extreme and has been going on for quite awhile.

You ever notice that when someone new to the Sandbox posts something that may be a little out of the mainstream that there are a plethora of attacks that come almost instantaneously. It's the same old boring ridicule with comments similar to; "Lol, you seem to be ignorant" or "Why don't you educate yourself". It's the usual piling-on by the regulars who seem to think they have it all figured out - and once again, I'm guilty of doing this myself from time to time.

There are things we can learn from each other, but that's quite hard when we seem more intent on berating or one-upping each other. It's really easy to be a cheap-bomb-throwing-douche, but I'm thinking that TG is really not about that. That does not mean you can't have a spirited debate that gets heated at times, but lets try addressing the topics and avoid moving in for the cheap kill. Sure, some will make comments that state opinion as fact or just over-state things in general, but that does not mean you cherry-pick and quote things out of context just to score a victory or ridicule someone just for the hell of it.

The reason I posted this is because I've found myself and others engaging in this type of nonsense occasionally. What makes the Sandbox fun is that everyone has a diffenet opinion, lets embrace that instead of trashing people just because we can. Lets try and keep it civil but full of interesting discussions. I'm really hoping that some new people will join this forum, as it has become a bit stale and lacks new ideas in my opinion. *
    __________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

*Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Tactical Gamer. :)
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: The Mood of the Sandbox

Actually, I didn't think it was that bad. On really "popular" topics, the hits come hard and fast, but I'm not sure it's that inflammatory on new folks.

That said, I refrained from posting my opinions to much on the apache kill thread, because I didn't feel like having my posts picked apart and countered.
    That's probably the only improvement I would wish to see, less <snip> multi-quoting (I think it's rude and condescending and prefer coherent paragraph posts rather than context-insensitive sniping of comments), and more "let me explain what I think your meaning in my own words first and then offer a counter suggestion".

Comment

There's a reason posters have to ask to be added to the sandbox posters group: The topics discussed are likely to cause more disagreement than topics covered in other sections.

The 'ideas out of the mainstream' are generally completely ignorant of the fact that the mainstream is based on solid evidence with decades of history behind them and the 'new ideas' are the same crap people ignorant of the facts have already brought up and proven to be baseless, like the whole vaccine thing or 911 conspiracies. These don't deserve to be treated as valid opinions, just dismissed. Only when they present new evidence that could prove them right is there any reason to acknowledge them. Since people bring up the same lame arguments people get tired of it and dismiss those ideas with more and more derisive language due to frustration, and while that is not in the spirit of TG, it isn't simply because someone had a new idea, it is the opposite.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

F U

:row__685:
        |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
        ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Furman University appreciates the advertisement peardog :)

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/st...duct_id=153356
          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
            Furman University appreciates the advertisement peardog :)

http://store.cstv.com/marketplace/st...duct_id=153356
            LOL... Go Fighting Paladins...!!
            |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
            ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Picking a post apart and addressing it point by point is a valid analysis technique. If your points can't stand alone, why should we take them together?

Don't just post an opinion without explaining why you have it. An opinion without grounds just begs to be dismissed.

Don't be upset if someone dismisses your evidence. You didn't create it, so why take responsibility for it?

Don't assume that because someone posts a link, that they embrace what's there. (Like when I post an anti-Linux story in the Software forum, and the Linux yahoos come out of the woodwork calling me a Microsoft shill. ;))
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The reason sandbox was put into a usergroup was to keep people serious about wanting to participate in debate within the tg rules of respect and language. It's easier to remove people from the group than moderate them from the entire forum and site.

With that said, I think mp40 has a point that forglory&pain made apparent. Debating and disagreeing is fine and the point of this forum but being condescending and disrespectful is typically not but that's for the moderators of the forum to decide or you to take up with anyone who you think is treating you without our basic conduct rules. Just remember that some things could be seen as condescending, offensive or personal when they aren't since you don't have tone of voice in a forum to gauge intent. It'll never be perfect and just be prepared to debate when you post anything in this forum if you care or simply ignore it. Doesn't really matter. That's the beauty of this forum lol

- -

Comment

I like what the sandbox is and how it runs very much. I'm glad this outlet is here, as I'm not sure where else could I get literal "peer review" of the minutiae of life as we experience it.

Comment

Personally, I feel that since we switched to the usergroup system, arguments in the sandbox have improved greatly. Now, as with any debate that goes on for long enough, people get heated and sometimes speak hastily. This frustration and agitation can spill over from one thread to another, especially since it is routinely the same group of people debating topics over a wide variety of subject matter. But we keep it as civil as possible. If you think the state of the sandbox is bad now, go back a couple years worth of posts and look at some of the threads that have blatant-all-out personal attacks on members of the community.

But I think that it is good for us to have a place to debate topics and leave it all on the table. While many of us dont share the same view on things like religion, politics, drug policy, etc, when we're gaming, its an entirely different story. Snooggums and I dont always see eye to eye in the sandbox, but we've been gaming friends and members of the same IHS for years. I get along with him great outside the sandbox and consider him a valuable player to have on my team in any game I play, from natural selection to PR. The same can be said for lots of people who post in the sandbox who I may or may not agree with on a regular basis. We just have to keep the presence of mind to check everything at the door and pick it up on the way back out, with the exception of respecting our fellow members and keeping a mature candor in everything we post.

Comment

Sweet, while Ferris was busy typing that wall of text I burned his house down.
                      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Comment

That was hardly a WOT compared to most of my other posts. But it does explain why it smells like toast in here.

Comment

While it can be hot in here at times, I never feel personal anger towards anyone posting here (although what they're saying may make me angry :P). Like Ferris said: what's said here, stays here.

Comment

By Levni Yilmaz
                            http://www.ingredientx.com/
                            http://www.youtube.com/user/AgentXPQ

Comment

That does not bother me to be the one who is right or wrong. I have to say that together we can find many answers. As long as people act in good faith a little constructive discussion of ideas emerge. There are issues that obviously are a very hot deal here. The 9 / 11 is one, everything that touches the army is another. Some sometimes, including myself, forget that there are people of different horizons here, who see things differently. With informations coming from different media, depending on where you are located in the world. The strength of a forum come from the diversity of its participants. Do not forget that talk of 9 / 11 for example, will not be as warm and touching a person who lives in Vancouver and Belgium compare to the one who lives in NYC. Everyone has to weigh things. While some may proclaim themself judge when there is no one to judge, having different ideas and point of view will never make someone stupid person, even if we sometimes prefer to believe to.

Nostradamus could you talk as much more. One who always knows is he who knows nothing. Because the more we know, the more we perceive that we do not know much.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X