No announcement yet.

Boy Scouts introduce Video Game badge!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boy Scouts introduce Video Game badge!

No, i'm not joking. Where was this one when I was crossing off merit badges to get eagle scout?!
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/28/b...es-ask-really/
    Originally posted by engadget
    Yes, really. The Boy Scouts of America have finally recognized that most important of modern children's pastimes with the creation of a "Video Games" belt loop and pin.

Re: Boy Scouts introduce Video Game badge!

When I was a scout the only thing I enjoyed was the pinewood derby since the local troop didn't do much camping our outdoors stuff. Lucky for me I had a very active 4-H group that covered camping and outdoors activities.

I may have stuck around a bit longer for a video game badge though.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

All of the scout troops I was in were insanely active with camping and such (being a military brat, I was in several different troops in several different places). Hell, the last troop I was with in florida went to anywhere between 3 and 5 summer camps a year (1-2 weeks long each), in addition to probably 20-30 camping trips during the non-summer months. The downside to that last troop was that my dad was the scoutmaster, which means I got to do all the scut work. Did manage to get out at 15 with damn near every merit badge available, OA, and Eagle.

But getting my eagle paid off in spades when it came to getting into college and the nice fat cash scholarship I got just for that particular accolade. Nice little cushion to my freshman year booze budget. Being thrifty is part of the scout law, is it not? (and yes, its sad that I still remember all 12).

Comment

Wow, I wish they had this when I was in! Finally getting some recognition for l33t pwner skills ;)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

The 13 points of the NEW Scout law:

A scout is; trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent... And now the 13 point L33T!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
            The 13 points of the NEW Scout law:

A scout is; trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent... And now the 13 point L33T!!!
            ha ha. +1

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Hate to be a buzz-kill here, but the content of the article is significantly less L33T than the headline.

Here are the belt loop's three requirements:

1. Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
              2. With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
              3. Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.

To go on and earn the pin, Scouts will need to teach adults how to play videogames, participate in a family gaming tournament, and learn how to comparison shop for prices.

Comment

.............................................DAMN! Why is everyone trying to take the fun out of gaming!?!?

[unit][squadl][command2]

Comment

Required to comparison shop? Hahahahah!
                  |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    Hate to be a buzz-kill here, but the content of the article is significantly less L33T than the headline.

Here are the belt loop's three requirements:

1. Explain why it is important to have a rating system for video games. Check your video games to be sure they are right for your age.
                    2. With an adult, create a schedule for you to do things that includes your chores, homework, and video gaming. Do your best to follow this schedule.
                    3. Learn to play a new video game that is approved by your parent, guardian, or teacher.

To go on and earn the pin, Scouts will need to teach adults how to play videogames, participate in a family gaming tournament, and learn how to comparison shop for prices.
                    Yeah I saw that too...

What people are also missing is that 'Pins' are for the Cub Scouts, not the Boy Scouts. Yes Cub Scouts and Webelos in particular are still a part of the BSA organization as a whole, they are a completely different program then the traditional Boy Scouts.

Comment

Seen a lot of flak on the web about these. Personally, if they game anyway they may want to do this, but none of the boys who don't game had any interest in them. Four of the boys in my den did manage to earn the belt loops though. I am pretty particular when it comes to earning things, and they worked for them (my son was one of the four). I went to pick up the loops for tonight's pack meeting, and they were all out. I hate dissapointing the boys after they worked so hard :( Anyways, I was dissapointed by all the folks flying off the handle on various forums, especially when they had no idea what they were talking about.

Incidentally, the boys who earned those loops also earned the Leave no Trace award, Emergency Preparedness award, and the outdoors ribbon for the YoC patch in addition to the standard requirements and electives. I also made all the boys earn the good manners belt loop. I worked my den hard, but they had a lot of fun doing it.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ahh Scouts. Some days I wish I was still in them as an Adult Leader, but I've been far removed from them for a while. I used to go all over the place, even though I didn't rank up very far past 1st Class (was more concerned about helping other people and running things, than personal achievements, honestly).

Here's me (back row, 3rd from the left) at Philmont.

<04:11:24> *** You are now talking in channel: "TFP - Task Force Proteus"
                        <04:16:25> "|TG-XV| Tralic": this channel is so gay
                        DICE needs to make a comical boxing glove attached to a spring punch the player in the face 40% of the time they get into a helicopter or jet.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                        X