Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New US Sanctions Against Iran: Precursor to War?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New US Sanctions Against Iran: Precursor to War?

H.R. 2194: Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability, and Divestment Act of 2009 just passed the House recently by a vote of 403 to 11. There were eleven rational members of Congress, at least on that day, one of them being Ron Paul.

No Votes (11)
    Member Party Dist.
    Brian Baird D WA-3
    Tammy Baldwin D WI-2
    Earl Blumenauer D OR-3
    John J. Duncan Jr. R TN-2
    Jeff Flake R AZ-6
    Walter B. Jones R NC-3
    Dennis J. Kucinich D OH-10
    Jim McDermott D WA-7
    Gwen Moore D WI-4
    Ron Paul R TX-14
    Maxine Waters D CA-35
    Rep. Ron Paul Opposes Iran Sanctions

In a speech before the House of Representatives on April 22, Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) voiced opposition to H.R. 2194, the Comprehensive Iran Sanctions, Accountability and Divestment Act, referring to the legislation as “this entire push for war on Iran, however it is disguised.”

Rep. Paul drew parallels between the current push to isolate Iran and the events that led up to the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in 2003: “Listening to the debate on the Floor on this motion and the underlying bill it feels as if we are back in 2002 all over again: the same falsehoods and distortions used to push the United States into a disastrous and unnecessary one trillion dollar war on Iraq are being trotted out again to lead us to what will likely be an even more disastrous and costly war on Iran. The parallels are astonishing.”

Then you have Congressman Trent Franks (AZ-02) speaking in favor of the sanctions, he's from Arizona, shocking.

Sadly, this guy is just one of the 403 members of Congress that Israel has bought and paid for through there massive lobby in Washington called AIPAC. Wich has plenty of pro-war with Iran propaganda on their website.

You can affect Israel's future and promote America's interests in the Middle East by urging your Members of Congress to support these important initiatives.
    Back Crippling Sanctions on Iran

More than three-quarters of the House and Senate signed letters to President Obama urging him to impose "crippling sanctions" on Iran. The letters further urge the president to sanction Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, Iran's banking system, and Iran's ability to import refined petroleum. The bipartisan House letter was spearheaded by Reps. Jesse Jackson Jr. (D-IL) and Mike Pence (R-IN), while the bipartisan Senate letter was led by Sens. Charles Schumer (D-NY) and Lindsey Graham (R-SC). Please thank your members of Congress for signing these letters.
    They also have these lovely articles you can read to further cloud your judgement on the issue.

The Iranian Nuclear Threat

Crippling Sanctions Needed to Prevent Nuclear Iran

The CIA recently released a new report on Iran's nuclear ambitions.

CIA: Iran capable of producing nukes

"Iran continues to develop a range of capabilities that could be applied to producing nuclear weapons, if a decision is made to do so," the annual report to Congress states.

On Iran, the report says that it is "keeping open" its options for building nuclear arms, "though we do not know whether Tehran eventually will decide to produce nuclear weapons."
    "Could be" and "We do not know". That doesn't sound like an imminent threat to me.

Presdient Obama said this recently in a CBS interview.

Obama: "Ratchet Up" Pressure on Iran

"All the evidence indicates that the Iranians are trying to develop the capacity to develop nuclear weapons. They might decide that, once they have that capacity that they'd hold off right at the edge -- in order not to incur -- more sanctions. But, if they've got nuclear weapons-building capacity -- and they are flouting international resolutions, that creates huge destabilizing effects in the region and will trigger an arms race in the Middle East that is bad for U.S. national security but is also bad for the entire world."
    "Develop the capacity", "they might decide", and "once they have that capacity". Is this a joke? So are we all going to die if Iran is left untouched, or is neo-con pro-Israel war-mongering an issue that knows no political party or affiliation. I think it's the latter of the two.

Sanctions against Iran will do absolutely nothing except punish the Iranian people and push us further toward conflict. I don't think Iran has ever violated the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, but India, Israel and Pakistan are not even signatory members of the treaty, maybe we should put sanctions on them.
    |TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: New US Sanctions Against Iran: Precursor to War?

I agree with all of the points you made, and would simply be parroting them if I posted my opinion. I can only hope that Ron is wrong about leading to a war, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a war with occurred in the next 10 years.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
      I agree with all of the points you made, and would simply be parroting them if I posted my opinion. I can only hope that Ron is wrong about leading to a war, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a war with occurred in the next 10 years.
      Well, after 2 years I will be out of the Army so they can go to war with whomever they want. Is it too much to ask to sort our own crap out first before we try to be the worlds parents?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

We might bomb something but I think this country is tired of war and there will not be any kind of "real" war against Iran.
        I don't think the ChiComs or the Russians would approve of that and since one of those folks kind of holds the US's purse strings I think the Persians are safe from the Americans for the foreseeable future.
        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
        So that when they turn their backs on you,
        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Iran is ripe to let the CIA do their thing with... Iran has a very young, very modern populace. We would be wise to let technology do what war can not: bring their tyrannical government down from within.
          Become a supporting member!
          Buy a Tactical Duck!
          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I have to agree with Cing on this one. The MASSIVE protests seen in Iran this past summer shows that the country hasn't given up their revolutionary ways. I have a feeling that given some time the people will rise up against a 'corrupt puppet' just as they did the the 1970's

Comment

Didn't the CIA influence the change leading up to the current Iranian government and never effectively changed the government to one that was desired over the last 58 years?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIA_activities_in_Iran

Sure it's Wikipedia, but it is a decent summary and I can find other sources if needed. Based on all of our middle east activities I would say our involvement would not improve things one bit in the area, and since we helped depose a democratically elected Prime Minister to start with then backed a shah who repressed people...

Let's stop the facade of 'promoting democracy' since we ruin it when it suits us. We just want favorable trade with a country that has oil.
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Didn't we also isolate Japan prior to WWII, helping to create the economic conditions that caused them to lash out at the rest of the Pacific rim?

Perhaps the best thing we can do with Iran (and also China) is to provide easy access to satellite Internet that those governments can't censor.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  ...Perhaps the best thing we can do with Iran (and also China) is to provide easy access to satellite Internet that those governments can't censor.
                  To be honest if there wasn't the real and immediate fear of death to those who were caught using such a system, I would argue this this one of the BEST anti-totalitarian idea's I've seen in a while!

Comment

Someone, somehow has to put pressure on the Iran to stop whether it be forces from the outside or within. I would suspect this bill is about oil sanctions more than causing war. If this bill tightens the noose on companies like TOTAL from France to limit their exposure to Iran you might agitate that young population into tearing the house down. With the weakening dollar our influence on an international level becomes weaker and weaker so I am not sure what our actions alone will accomplish and besides there is no way Americans are going to accept a conflict with Iran.
                    I just have a hard time agreeing with Maxine Waters on anything.
                    Last edited by seg[TDev]; 04-30-2010, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                      To be honest if there wasn't the real and immediate fear of death to those who were caught using such a system, I would argue this this one of the BEST anti-totalitarian idea's I've seen in a while!
                      Just advertise that use of satellite internet will lead to a reward in the afterlife of lots of virgins. ;)
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                      X