May Day, Or TG's Going A-Maying

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Day, Or TG's Going A-Maying

Bisclaveret posted here about May Day and I certainly didn't want to take that thread any further off course than I did.

I had heard Savage say the day was a communist holiday and it made me wonder about that. So, I looked it up. The wiki article on May Day shows you a Russian poster promoting the day and also gives an overview of the day's more traditional aspect. That article leads you to one on "International Worker's Day," which claims to be interchangeable with "may-day." International Workers of the World has a longer article on the modern holiday's history.

Previously, I had read Herrick's Corinna's Going A-Maying and found it amusing. The first current reference I'd seen was one in a book by Carol Goodman.

I just find it interesting how something so based in nature could end up being an industrial holiday. I can't see any of the earthy, nature flavor in the modern branch of the celebration.

sigpic
    "The true genius shudders at incompleteness - and usually prefers silence to saying
    something which is not everything it should be." Edgar Allan Poe

Re: May Day, Or TG's Going A-Maying

Just because the communists happen to do something on the same day doesn't effect the much longer tradition of May Day being a pagan holiday.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

That reminds me, the holiday celebrating my favorite condiment is coming up next week: Cinco de Mayo. I'm gonna fill my sink with mayonnaise and party! :p
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        Just because the communists happen to do something on the same day doesn't effect the much longer tradition of May Day being a pagan holiday.
        I am far too { redacted } to comment on that.
        Che 4 ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        although
        it seems odd that the commies act like the Christians in adopoting/ co-opting previously existing semi-logical celebrations of the clearly observable changes in the night sky.

just sayin' iz all
        You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
        So that when they turn their backs on you,
        You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed