Brooklyn model's controversial Lane Bryant ad finally airs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brooklyn model's controversial Lane Bryant ad finally airs

A Lane Bryant lingerie ad featuring a Brooklyn model finally aired on Fox Wednesday night after it was allegedly banned by both ABC and Fox for being too sexy.

The ad, introducing the retailer's new Cacique Lingerie line, caused a storm because the networks weren't comfortable with a plus-size model, 22-year-old Ashley Graham and her employer allege.

ABC was originally scheduled to air the busty ad during the 8 o'clock run of "Dancing With the Stars," but moved it to run after 9p.m. when Lane Bryant reportedly refused to have the ad edited to be more family friendly.

British publication the Sun reports that a Lane Bryant insider said: "The cleavage of the plus-size model, they said, was excessive, and we don't think that's the case. It certainly appears to be discrimination against full-sized women."

ABC denies claims that it was against airing the ad because it is biased against bigger women. The network's Vice president Julie Hoover told the New York Post, "We were willing to accommodate them, but they chose to seek publicity instead."

As for Fox, a network insider claimed the company faced a similar dilemma -- they wanted to air the ad but requested a more PC version since it was slated to air during "American Idol's" more family-friendly hour, according to People magazine. Lane Bryant reportedly refused so the network aired the ad after the show.

The 5 foot-9, 38D model said she's actually glad the ad was turned down because it put the issue of weight center stage. “Let’s face it, America is getting bigger, and women want to see themselves instead of the image of what society says they should be,” Graham told the New York Post. Examiner.
    The commercial in question.

And a CBS interview with the lovely full figured model Ashley Graham.

|TG-X| mp40x

Register for the Forums! | Get on Teamspeak! | Play Squad! | Join Discord! | Support Tactical Gamer!

Re: Brooklyn model's controversial Lane Bryant ad finally airs

Yeah. That seems blatantly discriminatory. The commercial doesn't seem any worse than all the other undie commercials. The only difference being that this woman has rockin' boobage compared to all the anorexic toothpick models the competition likes to use. Great commercial. ABC and FOX were stupid to reject the commercials in the first place. The commercial wasn't offensive in the least.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

That chick is hot, way hotter than the Victoria's Secret chicks who have no cleavage at all.
      |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
        That chick is hot, way hotter than the Victoria's Secret chicks who have no cleavage at all.
        Agreed. And this was a pretty tame commercial, by most standards :)

Comment

I like toothpick models, and I find this ad no more "sexy" than the Dancing with the Stars that it was supposed to air during. Or are the commercials showing dancers with barely any clothes atypical? (I don't watch either it or Idol.) Maybe they should play this commercial during The View. :p
          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

no sleep ...till BROOKLYN !

see below

no pun intended
            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
            So that when they turn their backs on you,
            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Re: no sleep ...till BROOKLYN !

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
              Sex with women who look like humans instead of concentration camp victims is simply disgusting.

I think we should trust the fashion choice of major designers who clearly understand and accept women in all their glory.

I'm sure you don't mean to imply that these men don't know hot women.

Obligatory balance .... in the name of fairness
              You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
              So that when they turn their backs on you,
              You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Oh, would you look at that. Suddenly Lane Bryant have way more publicity than if the advert had simply been shown without debate.

Oops.
                |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                  Hell yes, she is!
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                    Hell yes, she is!
                    You have got to be joking!!! If I cant see her ribs protruding through her shirt like a starved alley cat then she is in now way hot ;)

(that would be a joke)

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

LOL. Lane Bryant is loving every minute of this exposure. It's a win win either way for them. It sounds like Fox had a problem airing it during a specific time rather than content itself. I get more offended by the Extend-Z commercials. LOL- Besides I am not sure what I'd say if my 5 year old son said something about that bust when it came on during a commercial break while watching American Idol. I'd probably give him a high five and tell him to go get me a beer.

Comment

While I may prefer "toothpicks" and "starved alley cats", I'm very happy that full-figured gals are getting their exposure and that those who prefer that are now being catered to. Hopefully we'll see a lot more of this.
                        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Anybody know here weight? I'm 99% sure she fits right into the regular weight category for BMI which tops out around 165 lbs for someone her height..
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

I find it an interesting choice of words -- in a misleading sort of way -- that they described her ad as "finally" running, when it was delayed for all of ONE HOUR.

Comment

I'm glad that Lane Bryant is getting the publicity for this, they deserve every second of it, as does the model. Oddly enough, since the name is being tossed around so much, I have seen victoria's secret commercials DURING american idol before (it was actually a long commercial for the big victoria's secret fashion show they put on every year, and it was the only thing engaging out of watching american idol...dont you love it when your girlfriend forces you to watch something for brownie points?). So the argument about "family friendly hour" is out.

On the subject of the female form, I'm a fan of all shapes and sizes. I dont think its fair that so many of you guys are saying that victoria's secret only employs stick-figure-esque models. For example, have a look here: http://www.popcrunch.com/the-50-hott...s-of-all-time/
                              Sure, there are several women on that list who border on wafer thin. But then again, you have many of the women on that list who are much curvier. Granted, none of them are considered to be "plus size" (which damn near borders on derogatory in and of itself), but then again, VS doesnt market themselves as a plus size clothing store, LB does. But I dont dictate my personal preference in women on stereotypes either way. Every woman can be beautiful, it's simply up to the viewer to discover how. Thus, my goal in life.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X