Obama Takes A Swing At Our Gadgets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Takes A Swing At Our Gadgets

And with iPods and iPads and Xboxes and PlayStations none of which I know how to work information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation. So all of this is not only putting pressure on you; it's putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy."
    Full Story: HERE

What are your thoughts on his thoughts?

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Re: Obama Takes A Swing At Our Gadgets

I bet only about 25% of my class is listening to me at any time. The rest are busy pretending to take notes on their laptops while surfing facebook or texting under their desks, thinking I don't notice. The other day was in the library grading, and there was a group of students at the next table studying. As they were packing up to head towards their exam, one of them, who had been just looking at facebook or youtube videos for the whole 2 hours I was there, looked like she was about to cry as she complained to the rest that she's going to fail the final. In a classroom setting, unfiltered internet access and texting services are a huge distraction. And the students demand that it's not their fault. It's the "boring content of the class."

Comment

Sounds to me like the inability to focus and study in an independent manner. Maybe you should explain to them that "boring content" is very similar to what they will end up with when they get real jobs. Sad, but true.
      |TG-Irr|Avengingllama
      I used to eat paint chips. Now I just drink the paint because I couldn't find a salsa that went well with the chips and they were dry =)

Comment

Originally posted by Obama!
        "And meanwhile, you're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank that high on the truth meter ...(snip)... it's putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy."
        All this free speech is really puttin' my democracy down.

And Sordavie: Chances are that's a mistake they will only make once - if the exam goes badly (which you make it sound like it will), they'll probably get on and revise next time. It's a lesson most people learn once, quickly.
        And just out of interest - what subject and at which level do you teach?
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I have parents of patients who answer their cellphone calls while I am talking to them. I have patients try to read text messages while I am working on their teeth. In some way I agree with the President that it is a distraction. In certain healthcare environments it can be a HIPPA violation if the wrong thing is discussed on the phone.
          Funny, true story- we tried to put signs up in the office to cut back on the cell phone usage and the kids simply didn't care. I bought a cell phone jammer on-line and plugged it in the office. You wouldn't believe how many frustrated teenagers there were in my dental chairs because they couldn't receive or send text messages. This jammer was suppose to block out a 500 yard radius. Well guess what was behind my building. A cellular tower. The jammer was blocking the tower. 2 days after I bought the thing two cellular companies came beating on my door. I quickly found out that a jammer is illegal.

Comment

Focus isn't something you can just turn on and off. I'm good at it on selected material (which is one thing that makes me think I've got Aspergers) but I need some place free of people, and I need a degree of interest in the material (ie. lack of boredom). I figure just as I'm "disabled" at being around people, most people are disabled at high focus, and that's why they don't do as well in many academic subjects as I. So is there some way to artificially boost focus to the capability I enjoy? Perhaps even higher? Removing distractions is just part of the problem. The mind seems pretty good at manufacturing distractions if the subject isn't of interest, even if one's livelihood is at stake.

I've been avoiding going to the dentist. The expected pain is just part of the issue. Another aspect is that it's completely dead time while I sit in a chair staring at the ceiling. Now if I was under, I could at least be making up on my sleep. But in the middle of the day and conscious it's a blatant loss of time. If I take my car to the garage to service, I can at least read or work while I wait. Now I'm not a talker in the first place so I don't mind shutting up while someone has his hands in my mouth. (And please don't expect me to answer chitchat in that situation.) But being able to use a text device to communicate seems reasonable. You could mount a screen overhead and out of the way and let the patient use a keyboard and some kind of pointing device in his lap.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

LMAO
              This was a distraction and I hope this thread is not a indication of how the message was interpreted nationwide.
              This is about the internet and "alternative media", not the fact that kids text in class.
              This is about how not everyone believes Obama and some people are so churlish as to document how they don't believe him.
              We have the worst oil disaster, maybe ever, happening right now, the world economy is teetering on the brink and this guy is complaining about X-Box ?
              ????
              You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
              So that when they turn their backs on you,
              You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Why is it every old fogy that can't operate a computer wants to put them down? It's the same as all the feminists are never the best looking women. I think the people who are distracted would be distracted by something else if it weren't tech related.

Originally posted by seg[TDev] View Post
                I quickly found out that a jammer is illegal.
                How much do you want for it? I'll take it to the movies and I'll have it in my car so I can jam people while driving. Mmmuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaa

Comment

This jammer was suppose to block out a 500 yard radius. Well guess what was behind my building. A cellular tower. The jammer was blocking the tower. 2 days after I bought the thing two cellular companies came beating on my door. I quickly found out that a jammer is illegal.
                  ROFLMAO! Oh wow.. LOL..
                  sigpic

Comment

I don't have the jammer any more, it was confiscated by the cellular company. I could have kept it but I risked federal prosecution. Evidently the government doesn't like the idea that the jammer could have kept someone from calling 911.

Comment

Evidently the government doesn't like the idea that the jammer could have kept someone from calling 911.
                      Fair enough.
                      |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                      Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by CallousDisregard View Post
                        We have the worst oil disaster, maybe ever, happening right now, the world economy is teetering on the brink and this guy is complaining about X-Box ?
                        ????
                        Its because the Captain of the boat was playing Bad Company 2, and the stock market guys are playing DS....I'm sure thats it.

[unit][squadl][command2]

KnyghtMare ~You could always tell the person holding the gun to your head you would like to play on a different server...

Comment

Cartoon on Facebook:
                          http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...d=375117678843
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                            Why is it every old fogy that can't operate a computer wants to put them down? It's the same as all the feminists are never the best looking women. I think the people who are distracted would be distracted by something else if it weren't tech related.

How much do you want for it? I'll take it to the movies and I'll have it in my car so I can jam people while driving. Mmmuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaa
                            The details are on Youtube but you can make a short range jammer out of any old cordless phone ..... no IP tracing needed.
                            You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
                            So that when they turn their backs on you,
                            You'll get the chance to put the knife in.Pink Floyd "Dogs"

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X